No announcement yet.

Valkyrie-Excellent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a good movie. Not great by any means. As an avid fan of war movies this certainly ranks right up there.
    Not a full house where I saw it, but about 75% capacity which suprised me for the late showing and not a subject that I figured would appeal to a mass audience.
    One question though, did it seem that all the major ranked officers like Stauffenberg and Fromm had their ribbon bars put on at some point, but for the movie had them removed? As there was holes in their uniforms where the ribbons should have been...thought it was odd and throughout the movie I kept fixating on that! Just an observation.
    Otherwise I say it is a must see for us WAF junkies...Tom Cruise haters or not!

Steve

Comment

everything has been said. Good movie, uniforms were okay, a few bucks more could have been spent. I liked the medal loop thing. Sometimes medals were worn and sometimes not, as seen in period photos.
      DaveJ

Comment

Originally posted by james s. View Post
        just seen it , it was a good movie did anyone see the preview for the other war movie ? i forget the name of it
        james
        Hi James, the other movie advertised was "Defiance". Here is some info:
        http://www.moviefone.com/movie/defia...&spid=29494910

I thought Valkyrie was good, worth seeing. I thought the uniforms were very good with the minor issues here and there. It would be interesting for all of us to chime in with the particular issues we saw. My favorite pet peeve was that most of the officer breast eagles were parallel to the top pocket flaps, making them crooked. My 18 year old daughter picked up on that one.
        HC

Comment

I knew this would happen

I anticipated it would be a fair to above average film, oh well if its in English, I do not see a movie with the German language and English subtitles being released with intention to be a Hollywood blockbuster. When I get back to The States it will be the 1st movie I go see.
          Iam Uncle Sam
          That’s who Iam
          Been hiding out
          In a rock and roll band

Comment

My wife and I saw Valkyrie yesterday afternoon.The movie theatre was packed,with every seat taken.We enjoyed the film.It told the story fairly well.The acting was very good.The film was well directed.The uniforms,insignia,badges,were pretty good.Cruise did a better job than I thought he would.I give the film 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Comment

Valkyre-Excellent

They said on the TV that the movie only took in $7,000,000 on the first day.

HH
              Dennis J

Comment

Haven't seen the movie but previewed it. Can't bring myself to go because of the thought of Tom Cruise speaking English....takes away the authenticity downright. At least they spoke German in Downfall...Just my 2-cents.

-Eric

Comment

Originally posted by peleliuexplorer View Post
                  Haven't seen the movie but previewed it. Can't bring myself to go because of the thought of Tom Cruise speaking English....takes away the authenticity downright. At least they spoke German in Downfall...Just my 2-cents.

-Eric
                  Well that does it for me. Had my tickets bought. I guess I'll back out as well. Hate Tom Cruise. It's gotta be a terrible movie ...

Geez man. At least give opinions after you see it. You sound like one of those Hollywood Critics, giving movies their grade without even bothering to go ...

Comment

Originally posted by peleliuexplorer View Post

-Eric
                    Not a big deal. He starts the movie speaking german and transitions into English...If you want to have a chance at making money its probably the only hope of getting a mainstream audience to show up.

Also all the documents and communications were in German in the movie.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SBumone View Post
                      Not a big deal. He starts the movie speaking german and transitions into English...If you want to have a chance at making money its probably the only hope of getting a mainstream audience to show up.

Also all the documents and communications were in German in the movie.

Steve
                      Interesting. So Tom actually knows a bit of German?

Having spoken German would have raised the "Realism", it would detract from looking at the uniforms etc. Even though I love watching Downfall, my eyes keep getting distracted by the subtitles.

Comment

I am going tonight, most looking forward to the Berghof scenes..

Is it interior only? or interior/exterior?

Comment

Originally posted by TxGauleiter View Post
                          I am going tonight, most looking forward to the Berghof scenes..

Is it interior only? or interior/exterior?
                          Both interior and exterior.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SBumone View Post
                            One question though, did it seem that all the major ranked officers like Stauffenberg and Fromm had their ribbon bars put on at some point, but for the movie had them removed? As there was holes in their uniforms where the ribbons should have been...thought it was odd and throughout the movie I kept fixating on that! Just an observation.
                            Actually a common practice. Sometimes they got all gussied up and sometimes they didn't feel like hanging all of their "tin" on their tunics and went around with the empty loops hinting at their decorations.

On another note, I just read a review that gave the movie a "D". Figures. I didn't think the critics would "get it".

I liked Downfall a lot too, but fully agree that for commercial success the producers could not have made Valkyrie a German-language film.
                            SPOILER: the opening scene begins in German and transitions into English. I think that is a nice touch to "set the tone". Also, as already pointed out, the written documents and teletypes that appear on screen through-out the film are all auf Deutsch.

SPOILER: Yes, the Berghof is shown in one sweeping exterior shot and then followed up with a scene in the sitting room with pretty much the entire rouges gallery of TR personalities. Found that to be a nice touch as that's where I learned how to ski. As most members here probably know, the "klein Teehaus" is still extant and tourists can visit.

Comment

to be sure, we are not getting the Berghof and Eagles Nest confused are we?

Comment

Hold on gentelmen. You've obviously gotten it wrong. Read this review by a Mr Roger Friedman:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473079,00.html

Mr Friedman is disappointed with "Valkyrie":

a) Soldiers are "not wearing their arm bands"
                                b) the swastikas on the uniforms are too small
                                c) there are not enough Nazi flags
                                d) the German officers are not cruel enough
                                e) an insufficient amount of time is dedicated to the German crimes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X