X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pity ...

Hello Brett,

Unfortunatly not very good news for me !
    But the price was low and now I have some spare parts for next time !
    Thank you for your help and judgement !

AmitiƩs de Laurent

Comment

Hi Laurent,
      I'm glad to be of some help.

Before using these for spare parts have a look on ebay over the next couple of months as this style come up occasionally as relics and you might be able to buy a cheap pair and put the plates on your pair.
      Below is a pair that sold late last year.

Cheers,
      Brett
      Attached Files

Comment

Optics

Can any of you guys recommend a good reference source, book or website that deals specifically w/ this equipment? I see a book on ebay, but it is in German, but if it's worthwhile I may get it, wondering if anyone else has this title? Also, is there any "fakery" of optics that is so prevelant w/ so much other third reich items? Chris...

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I'm not really up on the book side of things so hopefully some of the other guys can help you with some good reference material to get. The internet and especially this site has loads of good information though and it is a good starting point.

There is "fakery" in the optics side of collecting but it is mainly altering the markings and making items more desireable rather than all-out fake items. Many binoculars will have eagles added or totenkopfs engraved on them to make the item more valueable. Also, re-painting binoculars in ordanance tan is another way of decieving prospective buyers as these usually get sold as Afrika Corp binoculars. Rubber coverings, benutzers, eyecups, etc. are being reproduced but more as replacement parts than to decieve anyone. With a little bit of research and common sense it is usually possible to decide what is correct and what has been altered, but like with any area of collecting we all usually get burned at some point.
          If you decide to get into collecting optics you will find as many binoculars as you want on ebay and all at very reasonable prices (excluding the U-boat stuff )

Cheers,
          Brett

Comment

Books

Chris,
            Hans Seegers "Grey Book" is the corner stone of most written advice .
            the main text is in german but the book is extremely well illustrated and all photographs taken a detailed caption in both german and english.
            The chapter on large size binoculars is written in both german and english.
            if you ant the text in english - good news Dr Seeger has allowed themajor chapters to be translated and reporduced on peter Abrahams website.
            ( You can also join peter's mail lists which provide a written update on a regualr basis ).
            Hans Seeger has updated his book when last published ( 2 years ago), and it now contains some "red pages" - a comprehensive listing of Zeiss binocular types , batch numbers , numbers
            produced per batch , and the number of each type known to the author.
            ( A lot of collectors send Hans S. serial numbers of Zeiss sets they buy- in itself this is an important data base.).

http://www.zeisshistorica.org/index.html

http://home.europa.com:80/~telscope/binotele.htm
            ( Peter Abrahams site , you can sign on for his news updates at :
            Peter Abrahams abrahams.peter@gmail.com or telscope@europa.com .

Zeiss have a historical society which has an on line membership.

Dr Seegers Book:
            Fernglaser und Fernrohre in Heer, Luftwaffe und Marine.
            Military Binoculars and telescopes for land , Air and Sea Services
            By Hans Seeger.
            ISBN 3-00-000457-2.
            The book covers optics of all nations. ( Mostly German , British , American , Japanese, Russian , French and Polish).
            This book can be had in the US from Deut. Optic and from various sites on line.

"A Guide to hand held Military Binoculars" By Dr Steve Rohan.
            Photographs and text in English describing most binoculars you might encounter , characteristics of all sets given , eg weight , size , field of view , type , if lens are coated , and rarity of the set within the USA.
            "Eyes of the Wehrmacht" By Steve Rohan- this deals mostly with the 10x80 flakglas and large Zeiss models.
            Both published in the USA - I picked mine up via eBay.
            "Fine Binoculars of the 20th Century" By R C Gregory M.A.
            ISBN 0-9544050-2-1. Published privately by the author. ( Ardwell books Tel-01582832152).
            The author describes binoculars known to him by power size - a photograph description and the authors opinion on the sets , "warts and all".
            "We are certainly not afraid of Zeiss" By William Reid.
            ( Barr and Stroud Binoculars and the Royal Navy ) - the history and products of this major british opitcal firm - an excellent book).National Museums of Scotland Publishing Limited.ISBN 1-901663-66-3.
            Well illustrated with excellent descriptions of all sets known to have been amde by the company.
            (Hand held).

All of the above can be traced via P.A's site.
            A post on to Peter and placed on his lists will probably put you in touch with the authors.

Brett is correct regarding eBay although prices depend on who is bidding on the day.
            Some reliable eBya sellers. ( In my experience ).

Anoraksia - Mike Palmer - Uk based - honest and reliable.
            Bino_Mania - Ray Dann - a collector and honest man.

A lot of sets will come from private sales or general sellers of militeria - be sure to ask plenty of questions regarding the condition of the sets and beware of some descriptions - Brett has already mentioned " Afrika Corp" - U-Boat is another , "Ultra rare" , "must be rare" "Panzer Binocular".
            A few months back I saw a set described as being " Genuine Africa Corp U-Boat , SS binocluars" the seller covered every base !
            Often sellers may not know much about the set - and one or two big time collectors who will remain nameless will "make them an offer they cannot refuse" and the sale is live one day and gone the next , hardly fair but money talks - the way of the world.

Attached a photo of hans Seeger's "Grey Book" that on top a 10x45 sight for a 4 metre range finder - it is decribed inside the book.
            Sorry for the long blurb which I hope might be helpful. ( Sermon over ).
            One good way to pick up info - there are a few good guys who post on this forum Brett , Le Bretton , being two who spring to mind - bouncing ideas and opinions of people - it has helped me quite a bit - I certainly don't stand here as an "expert" - I too have been stung once or twice and sadly there are rogues out there.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by behblc; 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

FRrom Steve Rohans book on Military hand held

A sample page from Steve Rohan's book , gives a better idea of style and presentation.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by behblc; 02-07-2007, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hiya James,
                Can you tell me if the seegers book gives dates of manufacture or when issued, i have just got a pair of zeiss 7x50 blc serial no. 39177.
                cheers bill.

Comment

blc

Bill,
                  He gives the following:1900 in the batch numbering 38300-40200.
                  15 of this batch known to the author.
                  No date for manufacture , describes them as being a U-boatglas .
                  Early type.

Comment

Optics

Thanks gentlemen! That's the kind of reference info I need to get me started. Chris...

Comment

Hiya,
                      Here are some pics of my bino's. Their condition is too good to be true with the optics
                      cheers bill.

Comment

Gas Mask.

A set of Gas Mask blc 7x50 which I recieved this morning , have been looking for a set and never managed to get one until now.
                        All in all in good order benutzer is 100% , optically almost ccompletely clear , some slight lens seperation in both objectives which I will have repaired.
                        Paint and body work some slight wear but better than average.
                        Rubber eye cups , seem good , slightly stiff but I am told that talc will do a good job on them.
                        Number on the set is 33110 , no other markings.
                        Also attached some jpegs of it along side some others I have ( perviously shown in this thread.
                        The benutzer on the 8x60 is a reproduction , colour and sound are totally different from the bakalite of the original. ( Like "click" and "Clunk").
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by behblc; 06-06-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Gas Mask 7x50 blc

The occulars , all moves freely no damage .
                          Graticule is marked "50" to "0" and 0 to "50/16" , 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, these divisions are marked by a small line , between ( for example 40 -30 , a dot) left to right and top to bottom.

If anyone can give info on what this type of graticule was used for I would be grateful (Thanks in advance).

Strap appears to be period.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by behblc; 06-06-2007, 04:15 AM.

Comment

blc 7x50 gas mask.

The objectives , some slight seperation on both sides , whilst I would get this repaired I am unsure as to getting them cleaned , nothing fungal in them but they are cloudy on the prisms.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Gas Mask 7x50.

Rear view of the set.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Gas Mask 7x50.

With benutzer in situ.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X