This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John,
    So it was you that won those beh on ebay... I actually put a bid on them as well!

They date from around 1940-41 and are missing the top and bottom leatherette coverings. Great that they still have the benutzer with them though. A very nice pair that would be worth getting re-covered! The "N" on these doesn't stand for Nordsee but is actually the Naval acceptance number so to speak. (although this is generally debated!)

The ddx are also a nice pair and date from around '43 (probably mid to late '43) as they have the triangle grease code but are still painted black. Not long after these, they went to ordanance tan. I would guess that these are a very lightweight pair?

I can't help you with the bakelite case though.....don't know much about them.

Two nice pairs of bino's.........

Brett

Comment

John,
      I meant to add that beh are Leitz (Ernst Leitz GmbH, Wetzlar, Germany), and ddx are Voightlander (Voigtlander & Sohne A-G, Braunschweig, Germany).

Cheers,
      Brett

Comment

Thanks very much, Brett. I saw that there was a bid from someone in AUS but did not know it was you. I do not collect optics, as such, but am very pleased that I got these. For some time now I have wanted to replace my earlier set of KM binos with another. Years ago I had a beautiful cased set of KM-issued Zeiss 7x50s with the rubber eye-cup protectors and pair of tinted lenses...and sold them. Now that I have a very nice KM U-Boot grouping in my collection I wanted another navy issue set to add to that display.

Regarding the ddx 6x50 set, yes, they are very lightweight. Once I have the KM-marked ones in-hand and have had a good look at them (anxiously awaiting receipt), I will probably let the Dienstglas ddx set go.

Regards, John

Comment

beh 7x50

Hello I have recently obtained these 2 sets. The set on the top lacks the M, numbers and the letter N. I understand from reading the earlier threads their meaning. Is the absence of these markings on the top pair of any significance? Early, late and were these markings applied after they left the factory?
          Best Bill Bourque
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hs132; 12-02-2006, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Bill,
            Can't really say for sure but my guess is that the top pair were never meant for Kriegsmarine issue!
            Two reasons I say that is the fact that there is no naval markings on them what-so-ever, and secondly because the eyepiece lenses are a much smaller diameter on the top pair than on most normal Kriegsmarine bino's of this type....

Anyone else able to shed some light on this?

Cheers,
            Brett

Comment

Hello Brett and all, thanks for your help. Its been pointed out to me that the inscriptions on both of these bins are most likely post war altered. A surprise to me as they came from a good source. As for now they can be referanced for what they are. Beware. best Bill

Comment

Beh sets.

In some ways the two sets ( to me at least) represent a case of over restoration, they are both just too good , too mint , what chance finding two mint sets of beh ?
                Look carefully at the swastikas.
                ( I have already been in touch with Bill regarding the two sets ).

Comment

I noticed the swastika's and also the letter (T) is different on both sets.
                  I also thought maybe refinished but I'm honestly not sure about the top set.
                  The bottom set look good though.

Cheers,
                  Brett

Comment

Optics

Hi

Here is a picture of my Leitz eagle.

AndyC
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wreath

When you check out the wreath and swastika , the details and outline are both very poor , that both sets have had a total make over is beyond doubt.
                      Coverings and paint work are almost certainly not origional - the chances of two mint sets turning up side by side ?
                      Top eagle looks to be the better of te two but look at the arms of the swastika , one is definately shorter.
                      Two such perfectly presented sets without benutzers in equally good condition.
                      To me they look like two sets which have had a total make over I would rather own a less than perfect set which had not been retouched.
                      Cleaning as long as it is done professionally causes me no pain - I think that sets should be - otherwise they just degrade and become useless opaque ornaments.
                      Attached a few jepgs of a set once owned by me.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by behblc; 12-06-2006, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Stampings

the stamping on the same set.
                        Attached Files

Comment

beh

I think both sets are correct. I have owned a number of "mint" beh binoculars over the years. They are rare but not impossible to find. The lack of a M marking is still a mystery. Both sets are marked with the T. Are the optics coated? If so, then they are certainly Naval issue. If they are restored then you could easily tell once you had in your hands. I have not encountered a postwar repaint that matched the shade and gloss of a wartime glass. Here is an example of a "mint" glass for sale.

http://lmd-militaria.com/page247.html

Comment

An execptional set.

That is quite an exceptional set , I would pay the asking price for them .
                            the two sets Bill had , no benutzer at all (Thre retaining clip was all that remained and no case of any kind) , no wear of any kind , definately restored to the max.
                            I agree with you Bill and would advise against such total reworks.( Again just my 2d).
                            Certainly one of the swastikas and wreath look very odd , I would doubt them.
                            Coatings would certainly indicate issue.
                            Sets so totally restored I would suspect them and would pass on them , my 2d as an individual.
                            Last edited by behblc; 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

7x50 Zeiss blc binoculars

Hi
                              Happy New Year
                              I am starving for the 7x50 with the leather benutzer...
                              If you sell them...I kill my ....Really I buy...
                              Best regards for you and this great site
                              Rammjäger

Comment

Optics

Can anyone recommend a good website or book that covers the topic of German Optics in WW2? Chris...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X