• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my bell
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by colt45s View Post
      don't think the ship name was ever on the bell
      Wrong thought! German navy ships always had there names on the ships bell!!

Imperial Navy: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lockesmsdd.jpg

Kriegsmarine: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=ship+bell

Bundesmarine:
      https://www.google.be/search?q=bunde...TZ8RBmF-UFM%3A

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
        Here is my bell
        This bell is a 100% fantasy piece, you will find it on any flee market in Europe.

Comment

I realise this is not an original ships bell

Any further information on Bob Hritz's theory about the death bell ?

Comment

Here is a pic of the Admiral Hipper's bell which is on display at the Laboe Naval Memorial near Kiel.
            Attached Files
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
              I believe these are death bells cast and given to the families of the fallen. I have one, not mounted to an anchor, that came with a large group of Graf Spee material.

Bob Hritz
              Hello Bob
              Where did you got this information: rumour of documented fact?

Comment

Mine came with a pea coat, jumper, and donald duck hat from a former Graf Spee crew member. It is my understanding that they were cast in South America as ccmmeratives for those who wanted one and one was sent to the family of those killed onboard. It is a strictly privately purchased piece and certainly nothing official. They are not of any great value and just an interesting souvenir.

By the way, they arew much smaller than a ships bell and not intended to be a copy of the official ship bell.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Bob,

Do you still have the jumper, or is it the white one you showed me?

I personally do not think the bell has a thing to do with GS crewmen, dead or not.

No personal effects got back to Germany during the war from Argentina or Uruguay, even the effects of Captain Langsdorff were not returned to the widow until after the war.

Not many German merchant ships got into Germany after the war got going, much less ones carrying bells.

No indication in any of the written material I have seen indicates anything about a bell either.

I think they are flea market souveniers.

My opinion.

Comment

as I stated before: flee market souvenir indeed!!

http://deerbe.com/unt/75294-glocvke_...tem_klang.html

http://verzamelen.tweedehands.net/kr...spee-1939.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351243917384

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/Letters/SecondGrafSpeeBell.html

Comment

My bell is from Cardiff, a major port in South Wales. Its very old, there is no denying that.

If these are merely flea market souvenir finds, where are the Bismarck, Tirpitz bells, why only GS ?? .......
                      Last edited by Totenhead; 02-22-2016, 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        Bob,

Do you still have the jumper, or is it the white one you showed me?

I personally do not think the bell has a thing to do with GS crewmen, dead or not.

No personal effects got back to Germany during the war from Argentina or Uruguay, even the effects of Captain Langsdorff were not returned to the widow until after the war.

Not many German merchant ships got into Germany after the war got going, much less ones carrying bells.

No indication in any of the written material I have seen indicates anything about a bell either.

I think they are flea market souveniers.

My opinion.
                        Yes, John, I still have my Graf Spee group and some other interesting Graf Spee items. Next time you are out my way, we can look them over. It has been too long since your last visit.

Bob Hritz
                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                          My bell is from Cardiff, a major port in South Wales. Its very old, there is no denying that.

If these are merely flea market souvenir finds, where are the Bismarck, Tirpitz bells, why only GS ?? .......
                          Maybe the manufactor of this souvenir Graf Spee bells saw the movie "the battle of the river Plate" and never heard of the Bismarck. Anyway he also saw the movie "Titanic"
                          titanicshipsbell.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                            Maybe the manufactor of this souvenir Graf Spee bells saw the movie "the battle of the river Plate" and never heard of the Bismarck. Anyway he also saw the movie "Titanic"
                            [ATTACH]3475453[/ATTACH]
                            Very funny, yes indeed, but that really doesn't explain or answer my question.

I paid very little for my bell, indeed I only bought it for the curiosity value, I have no interest in the Graf Spee or the Kriegsmarine

I do have a very inquisitive mind however and do not like mysteries.
                            Bobs thesis has not been disproved by yourself or anyone else, so until then I have an open mind regarding these bells

Comment

where is the original Graf Spee ships bell : that really is a mystery to me!

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                                where is the original Graf Spee ships bell : that really is a mystery to me!
                                I believe the original bell was melted down and these commemorative bells cast

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X