• Show
Clear All

Graf Spee Cap Tally

Your opinions would be appreciated.
    Paul
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Looks like cotton, clipped at both ends and probably had been used on a pillow case display or other patriotic display. The rows of dots top and bottom to the tally itself indicate that conclusion.

The cut tally and rows of dots seriously affect the value of such a tally IMO. If still on the pillow display, usually more interesting since there would have been other items sewn onto the display besides the tally, normally.

John

Comment

I like it, as John said, it does have some damage and appears to have been on a pillow or something else.
        Nice and a good one.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Many thanks guys as always your assistance is appreciated!
          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Studying the reverse of the tally a bit more I would like to post first a cotton and cellon example.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

It is clearly not a cotton type as I stated earlier. I have not seen a cellon Graf Spee so was a bit quick for an opinion.

I am not sure it is even cellon, so right now, I am not sure what it is.

John

Comment

By the way, this is what I mean by a pillowcase tally.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's another format:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Krieg...KM3Talley.html

Comment

Here is the photo:
                    Attached Files

Comment

I want to express my opinion in a clearer manner as some are confused by the previous posts.

It is a really tricky one - and I never came across these features on another cellon tally. The lack of spacing between the words is also really odd since I do not recall seeing another cellon Graf Spee. The reason is simple, Graf Spee was sunk in Dec. 1939 and the tallies were either gold wire or cotton (artificial silk) up to that time, not cellon.

Bottom line to me is that it is not possible to know for sure if it is postwar or not, meaning some sort of souvenir tally. Not made to deceive IMO but also not one I would want in my collection.

For Graf Spee, the tally to be collected should be cotton or gold wire.

My opinion.

John

Comment

Thanks John, removed from sale.
                        www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Paul,

I am not 100% sure on that tally. It is just an odd duck and the rows of dots top and bottom indicate to me it was sewn on a pillow or something either during the war or postwar.

Since it has the dots, is cut, and is cellon, it is a risk to the collector since nobody, including me, can say whether it is period or not.

Even if period and I am wrong, since it has the dots and is cut, the valuation is far less than a full length, dot-less, cotton or gold wire, example and if priced accordingly would be worth the risk to a collector IMO.

In no way do I want to say I am the final authority on this particular tally. It is just an opinion based on what I personally have seen as a tally/cap collector.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
                            I believe these are death bells cast and given to the families of the fallen. I have one, not mounted to an anchor, that came with a large group of Graf Spee material.

Bob Hritz
                            I have just picked up one of these, what is the definitive story on these please ?

Comment

don't think the ship name was ever on the bell

Comment

Originally posted by colt45s View Post
                                don't think the ship name was ever on the bell
                                Which bell, the real bell or the commemorative bell ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X