Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rarity has nothing to do with the material of the letters IMO. It has much to do with when the unit was formed, how many sailors were in that unit and how long the unit was in existence. Therefore, a tally requires much research into exactly what the unit was--it is obvious with a major ship, not so obvious with the smaller and more short lived units.

Then you must also factor in the material timeline provided by Markus.

My two cents.

John

Comment

I agree, the unit, it's history and the obscurity but easily documented units are the most interesting and thus more demand.

I getting a nice tally from one of the two private yachts that were "commissioned" and had tallies made specially for the olympics in 1936.

To say the least, these are extremely rare.

Marinestartschiff Undine

There is the Marinestartschiff Najade that now intrigues me and I will be on the hunt for this one.

I look forward to having the Undine in my collection.

Regards,
      JustinG

Comment

In general it is correct, that the material has nothing to do with the rarity of a tally.
        But of cause you can make differences for every single tally concerning the material.
        Marinestartschiff Undine with letters from artificial silk - does not exist.
        Zerstörer Anton Schmitt with letters from metal wire - never an official supplied tally.
        In case of Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee you can divide the tallies in 3 categorys:
        - official supplied with letters from metal wire until 1937
        - official supplied with letters from artificial silk from 1937 to September 1939
        - private purchased with letters from metal wire and most longer than 120cm

From these three "period"-variants, those official from 1937-1939 is shure the rarest for Graf Spee.

May be there is also the unofficial version of Graf Spee with letters from Cellon, but i have not seen it until today. And there is a version with letters from artificial silk, woven in Argentina. Very rare, i have seen two of them coming with other items from crewmembers which returned to Germany after the war.

So you can collect in different ways - only the name on the tally is relevant, or also the material and the origin of the tally.

Regards
        Markus

Comment

I have just found (after hours of searching) the old photos of the tally i got from the sailor who brought it back from Argentina.
          Amoung the others in my former collection and complete. The pictures are not realy good, but they were made in january 1991 and who took good pics of his tallies in that time ?

Regards
          Markus
          Attached Files

Comment

Second one down looks like a "mint green" souvenir (canteen) tally Markus.

John

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post

May be there is also the unofficial version of Graf Spee with letters from Cellon, but i have not seen it until today. And there is a version with letters from artificial silk, woven in Argentina. Very rare, i have seen two of them coming with other items from crewmembers which returned to Germany after the war.

Hi Markus,

Very interesting this Argentinian tally, I observed words are more separeted than Germans tallies.

But, why there is a Graf Spee Cellon made version? I suppose it was made after 1942, it was made for ship veterans?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

John. yes that was a mint or pale green souvenier-tally. Above the normal silk version is missing, do not remember why.
                Ricardo, yes, a different style of letters and also of weaving. Different from pre- and postwar german items.
                Graf Spee in Cellon - i haven´t seen until today. It would be reasonable, that the producer of the Cellon-tallies only produced for still existing ships. The crew of Graf Spee was in Argentina and could not buy them. But may they are there and we will see one in future.

Regards
                Markus

Comment

cap tally "Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee"

Hi,

I would like to show this Kriegsmarine tally for comments.
                  Thanks !
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X