Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying. This is my area to focus and what I am putting my efforts into.

Regards,
    Thanks all for the nice comments.

Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Admiral Graf Spee tally

This one is on Ebay.de. Letters from cotton thread, faded from sun and lenght 85 cm according to seller.

Seems to have the shadows around the letters on obverse, not sure about the reverse and ends are cut uneven. Not sure what to make of this one.

So what do you guys think?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John R.; 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

and 3.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think it is old and from pre-wartime, but a complete inofficial version. The letters are identical to those on the blue, white, green .... sweetheart tallies. Perhaps John can compare the "..ral Graf.." with those and give his opinion.

Regards
            Markus

Comment

It is an original pre-war "sweetheart" tally--meaning it was sold in the ship's canteen to the sailors as a gift. Often they were sent home to girlfriends and family, therefore the name sweetheart or gift tally.

They were never worn on a cap.

This particular example was originally bright blue with white cotton letters but has been washed many times or somehow left to fade.

100 cms is full length for these.

In any case, it is original and very rare although the condition detracts greatly, and in my opinion very greatly, from the value.

John

Comment

Thanks for the info Markus and John

Sweatheart tally, ok why not? Something new to me at least.

Can see the blue colour now when I look closer. Not that many Graf Spee's around but guess it's better to let this one pass.

Comment

No, I would bid on it. Just do not go crazy with that bid. If it goes cheap, you have yourself a rare item from that ship.

These do not come up that often. You were not able to buy it anywhere but the ship's canteen, so it was on that ship at some point in time.

John

Comment

The original issue tally I had at one time had metal thread for the lettering, as opposed to this one.

Steve
                    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                      The original issue tally I had at one time had metal thread for the lettering, as opposed to this one.

Steve
                      Steve,

This is not an issue tally or a tally worn on a sailor's cap. Those were black with one of three types of thread.

This is a gift tally sold in the ship's store or canteen.

Has nothing to do with the wire thread Graf Spee uniform tallies that you are talking about.

These gift/sweetheart tallies are much rarer also but again, they were not worn as a tally. Check the Graf Spee tally thread below for the tally you are talking about--the one started by JustinG.

John

Comment

Yes, John. I realize all that. The only reason I brought it up was that the original poster thought he might have an issue one. Since no one mentioned the difference of the thread composition between an issue one and this one, I just thought I would.

Steve
                        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                          Yes, John. I realize all that. The only reason I brought it up was that the original poster thought he might have an issue one. Since no one mentioned the difference of the thread composition between an issue one and this one, I just thought I would.

Steve
                          I understand now. Thanks for clarifying it.

John

Comment

I have been going crazy trying to find an original Panzershhiff Admiral Graf Spee cap tally to complete a group of uniforms I have from the Admiral Graf Spee. It seems the only thing missing is the band from the cap, probably saved as a souvenir by the sailor.

Bob Hritz
                            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Here's another current offering from Ebay.de - a Segelschulschiffes HORST WESSEL tally.

If I've understood everything correctly then this is another sweatheart tally?

Bob, I thought the toughest part would be the uniforms but apparantly not?!

Attached Files

Comment

and reverse.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X