Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new pick up this year. I was lucky enough to get a cup and saucer from Dr Mark Griffith, taken from the Kehlsteinhaus originally. These came out of the Gordon Hengar collection; he died a while back. Back in the 80s, he scoured the rosters of the units that arrived in Berchtesgaden first [101st Airborne, 3rd Infantry Division, etc] and bought up lots of nice pieces from them.

The tablecloth underneath it is the 5ft square informal one I showed the other month. This particular cup and saucer set was also part of Dr Griffith's 2007 MAX Show exhibition.

Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

Again Chris, an impressive collection. Do you display your collection of AH silver and porcelain? If so, would like to see a pic if possible.

Comment

Thanks Erich. No, I tend to keep it stashed away actually and get it out for an airing once a year or so [like now for instance], take some photos of new stuff, and pack it away.

Comment

Hello friends,

Ther is a AH spoon for sell.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=713270

I Jost would let you no the damage of the spoon . That is unfortunately not described in the item !
          At the bottom of the spoon a large piece is missing.

The Seller:
          " Has some wear, tiny dings, however, not minty.

This could be allot better described! He should see that as AH collector!
          I wanted to make you aware of it this Idam , Not Moor!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Fredy

Comment

Yes the end does have wear as its been dinged over, there is a burr, you can clearly see it in my photo. If it were minty I would ask $1450.00 and not $1095.00

Comment

Hi Fredy,

Thanks for your comment: "At the bottom of the spoon a large piece is missing." That situation is not visible from the photo of the reverse of the spoon's bowl as presented, and it would assumedly greatly detract from this piece's appeal.

Cheers, mate,

Br. James

Comment

Hi Gents! Look what's for sale:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=716680

Would be a cool display!

Comment

I see a fair few of these flower style table runners. I don't really have an opinion on this one.

The monogram looks okay. Would be a useful exercise to see the reverse.

Comment

First, thanks Chris for showing us your excellent collection of AH pieces. Some are really amazing.

Second: I would say the table cloth on estand is an original formal pattern with floral design, I agree with Chris the AH monogram is ok. Griffith in his book says a picture of a floral tablecloth in the Fuhrerbau exists.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                    - THE SS TK RING
                    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

That seems like a good price!

Comment

The only thing I would point out about that runner is that the monogram is not a very tidy example. That's not to say it's bogus. It probably isn't. I think the fakers are too busy going after the big money of SS helmets, smocks and daggers to worry about a flowery table runner.

What I mean is, take a look at the feathers in the wings. They do not cascade evenly. Compare the lengths. The top of the eagle isn't great either.

Of course it may just be that, 70 years ago, this runner was purely a functional, everyday, commodity and the monogram was treated such. Nobody back then could have foreseen the CSI levels of attention we give these things!

Chris

Comment

Good info Chris, I not an expert by any means but the monogram looked different to me but I have never seen a table runner before. The only piece of AH linen I own is the AH napkin I have shown on here.

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                          The only thing I would point out about that runner is that the monogram is not a very tidy example. That's not to say it's bogus. It probably isn't. I think the fakers are too busy going after the big money of SS helmets, smocks and daggers to worry about a flowery table runner.

What I mean is, take a look at the feathers in the wings. They do not cascade evenly. Compare the lengths. The top of the eagle isn't great either.

Of course it may just be that, 70 years ago, this runner was purely a functional, everyday, commodity and the monogram was treated such. Nobody back then could have foreseen the CSI levels of attention we give these things!

Chris

Comment

Don't forget that these were hand embroidered so you will see some minor differences from one example to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                              Don't forget that these were hand embroidered so you will see some minor differences from one example to the next.
                              Yes, that's a good point Erich.

Comment

Just one comment, friends: while Caleb (the originator of the photos of this piece) doesn't tell us the dimensions of this cloth, the photos and the fold-marks appear to indicate that it is a full tablecloth or table cover, not a table runner. As I understand the difference, a runner is a fairly narrow strip of cloth intended to cover the center of a table, length-wise, while leaving open the long sides. A tablecloth covers the entire top of the table, with edges that overhang equally on all four sides. The damask pattern on this piece seems to carry through that design, as well.

Cheers, all,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 18 users online. 0 members and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X