This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Military View Post
    Perhaps you could post the Mahnmal piece?

Mil

For nmbbob.

Comment

Ahh, a nice plaque but not the desk piece.

Mil

Comment

Mahnmal desk piece

Hi All,

Attached are some pictures of a Mahnmal desk piece I recently picked up. I know some of you are tracking the different ones out there so here is another (I assume its not been seen before!)
        It is damaged (i knew this when obtaining it) and looks like its been through a war (literally!) :-)
        The swas and bird have been broken off at some point.
        What is strange and where I am asking your opinions on is the swas and bird I was supplied with. They dont look like the other ones shown in the other versions photos.
        I would naturally think they are not the original ones and someone has replaced with something close but what I find interesting is:
        - The swas looks different than others but the break on the monument and the break on the swas match very closely - Ie it looks like this swas was the one originally attached prior to being broken
        - Similarly the bird break also matches the swas one

Just wondering do people think there may be a variation on this piece with a diff swas and bird? Was it altered in the period or after. I wouldve thought altered but the breaks line up very well and the swas material is good and looks like it matches very well

Anyhow keen to hear peoples thoughts...
        Hope the images work - first post and cant seem to embed!

https://ibb.co/nDhnfe
        https://ibb.co/kTS9tz
        https://ibb.co/fMavYz
        https://ibb.co/g1nymK

Comment

This is the first time I see such swas. as well as the bird.
          I doubt there is any variation except the marble base.
          The replacement probably not done well ,ie, a weak joint so it is easily break off exactly as where it it is jointed.

Comment

FHH eagle
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rhett and welcome among us -- it's good to have you here!

Thanks for sharing photos of this FHH Desk Ornament in your collection. My opinion is that neither the swastika or the eagle belong with the base section. The eagle and wreathed swastika designed and executed by Professor Kurt Schmid-Ehmen for the FHH Mahnmal in Munich -- as well as for the two bronze standards flanking the entrance to the Brown House -- are of quite a unique design, and the eagle and swastika you show in your photos do not favorably compare with that design. My sense is that the base piece may be original to the period but the eagle and wreathed swastika are not from that piece...whether or not they too are original to the period.

Thanks for providing these photos to this thread, and again, WELCOME here!

Br. James

Comment

Thankyou Br James - I concur with what you say.... At least I have a nice base anyway!
                Cheers

Comment

Rhett,
                  You can consider to 3d print the upper portion.

Comment

Hi Chen,

I was lucky to purchase the glass negatives of the photos posted by yourself / der Bingle.

As for 3D prints, does the resolution turn out well?

Mil

Comment

It would take some work to get the details as sharp as on the original. I don't own a 3D printer but the results I've seen are roughly equivalent to the price of the unit, and most of the lower to upper lower priced units are okay but not perfect.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                        It would take some work to get the details as sharp as on the original. I don't own a 3D printer but the results I've seen are roughly equivalent to the price of the unit, and most of the lower to upper lower priced units are okay but not perfect.
                        Erich
                        I agree with you, Erich. High quality printers can produce good resolution pieces.

Mil

Comment

Hi Chen,

I was lucky to purchase the glass negatives of the photos posted by yourself / der Bingle. Military
                          Hi Mil, you certainly have my attention now! Please tell us more about the photo negatives of the Kurt Schmid-Ehmen eagles you have....

Cheers,
                          Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

They came to me from an auction and those are glass plates. I'm not sure how to produce photos from such negatives but will certainly do some research. I'm away and will try to take photos of the glass plates when time allows.

Mil

Comment

Here is a plaque I recently picked up from John @warbooty ... this is the closest that I will ever get to owning a desk piece. Those desk pieces are nice and as stated by many super rare.

Michael H.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice.

How much does a desk piece go for nowadays?

Mil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X