Clear All

New Arrivals - Apr09 - POW Portrait Clinton, Miss #12
    Attached Files

Comment

New Arrivals - Apr09 - POW Portrait Clinton, Miss #13
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bill,

I must congratulate you for the fantastic tropical POW up date!!! Your pictures have never stopped to amaze me

Best Regards,

Comment

Uniforms

Many of the German POW's, especially those in Canada, had full dress uniforms and all decorations. I am assuming the Canadians must have been very cooperative with the Red Cross? Also assuming the Red Cross facilitated the sending of these uniforms/decorations from Germany to the POWS?

I'd like to know more on this.

Comment

I agree that the Canadians allowed the wear of uniforms and decorations much more than any of the other Allies who had POW's under their control. I have no evidence that the Red Cross delivered uniforms and decorations to German POW's. I'm sure parcels coming from Germany (if any) or the Red Cross were thoroughly checked before being delivered to POW's. As far as Red Cross packages go tell me if I'm wrong but mostly contained food items. Maybe someone else can shed some light on what the Red Cross provided to the POW's in General.

Originally posted by LarryHW. View Post
            Many of the German POW's, especially those in Canada, had full dress uniforms and all decorations. I am assuming the Canadians must have been very cooperative with the Red Cross? Also assuming the Red Cross facilitated the sending of these uniforms/decorations from Germany to the POWS?

I'd like to know more on this.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
              I agree that the Canadians allowed the wear of uniforms and decorations much more than any of the other Allies who had POW's under their control. I have no evidence that the Red Cross delivered uniforms and decorations to German POW's. I'm sure parcels coming from Germany (if any) or the Red Cross were thoroughly checked before being delivered to POW's. As far as Red Cross packages go tell me if I'm wrong but mostly contained food items. Maybe someone else can shed some light on what the Red Cross provided to the POW's in General.
              As a collector of denazified pieces I am most interested in this issue too.

I am guessing these guys had their awards on them at the time of capture hence them having them at the camp. I wouldnt think that the red cross would be sending them over

Bill: I love these POW pics and especially the ones where they are wearing their awards. I think in some of the pictures posted the awards have been denazified.

i would love to own such photos myself but seeing them here is a happy alternative

Comment

Here are a few more POW Camp photos on FW Schulemann. I picked these up from the same source at Flonheim and I hope to obtain a photo album on this HG FJ at the next show.

Flohheim - May09 - FW Fritz Schulemann POW Camp 133 Ottawa, Canada#1
                Attached Files
                Last edited by W Petz; 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Flohheim - May09 - FW Fritz Schulemann POW Camp 133 Ottawa, Canada#2
                  Attached Files

Comment

Flohheim - May09 - FW Fritz Schulemann POW Camp 133 Ottawa, Canada#3
                    Attached Files

Comment

LW DAK soldier

Comment

I picked up two new POW pics #1
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pow 2
                          Attached Files

Comment

German POW

Here's a POW right after the war. Would someone mind translating the writing on the back.
                            Attached Files

Comment

German POW

Here's the reverse f the above image.
                              Attached Files

Comment

translation of #1094

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
                                Here's the reverse f the above image.
                                "Zur Erinnerung an die gemeinsame verbrachte Kriegsgefangenschaft in Clinton, Miss."

In memory of the captivity spent together in Clinton, Mississippi.
                                ?Gusti Rornheim? [signature hard to read]

Maybe that's his address in the lower left corner:
                                Bad Honnef am Rhein
                                Bahnhofstrasse 15

Lower right corner:
                                Leicester, England am 21 Mai, 1946

He must have been released from the USA and then had the photo taken in England? The last prisoners in Clinton were supposed to have been repatriated by March, 1946.

Regards,
                                ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:24 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X