Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brits I think

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
    Apr10 - POW GERMAN or BRITISH? What do you think!
    Hi Bill,

Judging by their headgear, I'd have to say they were Brits captured in North Africa. Was there any writing on the back to give you a clue?

Regards,
    John

Comment

pows

Wow talk about a deep thread.

Really fascinating images, I went through all the pages and really enjoyed viewing.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy

Comment

John,

At first glance you would think that the British were the POW's. It is actually the other way around. The photo has a faint date of 1 .7.1946 on the reverse. I took a closer look with a loop and I couldn't find any insignia (other than shoulder boards) or decorations on the German Soldiers.

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
        Hi Bill,

Judging by their headgear, I'd have to say they were Brits captured in North Africa. Was there any writing on the back to give you a clue?

Regards,
        John

Comment

Ah I see

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
          John,

At first glance you would think that the British were the POW's. It is actually the other way around. The photo has a faint date of 1 .7.1946 on the reverse. I took a closer look with a loop and I couldn't find any insignia (other than shoulder boards) or decorations on the German Soldiers.
          Hi Bill,

Ah I see now. Of course without the date information, it was the Brits who looked like POW's to me. Of course now knowing the date, obviously the Brits were the captors. Where do you think it was taken, North Africa or say Southern Italy? It looks like it could be North Africa based on their clothing.

Comment

I believe them to be German POWs serving under British authority as Gendarmes in Italy in the Summer of '45. Sounds crazy but such an arrangement was in effect.

Comment

German POW's

Hi OSS,

That's very interesting.

John

Comment

OSS,

Very Interesting indeed. Do you have any written reference to this happening under British control. You said Summer of 45....not sure they would have continued to the date on the photo 1.7.1946. I know of some instances where the Canadians allowed some German troops to maintain their weapons to keep some order as Germans were being attacked after the end of hostilities in Northern Holland. Also I have photographic evidence (on my Fallschirmjaeger thread) of US Troops in Italy standing next to some German Paratroopers who were still armed. I think most of the circumstances of having a small contingent to keep the order was for a short period of time...at the surrender or shortly after the surrender of German forces.

John,

I believe the photo was taken in North Africa.

Comment

My vote goes to Italy, and I would shy away from MP/provost, no red-cap uniform stuff on the CW soilders, though the NCO on the right might be wearing an MP wedge, my best guess could be a de-mining/ bomb disposal unit of some form.

Comment

Apr10 - PW Camp Funeral at Ft Knox KY #1
                    Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - PW Camp Funeral at Ft Knox KY #2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW Belfort France 20.10.46
                        Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW Depot 141 St. Fons, France Februar 1947
                          Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW Lager Edmonton, London
                            Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW Erwin Schneider (Mitte) April 1947 Valence France
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice pic but didn't you already post it on page 82 #1220 of this thread.

Originally posted by Mousey
                                Miramas, france
                                6 oct 1946

looks like somone doesnt like dogs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X