Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi could also be Missouri.
    In both states there's a place called Clinton. I don't know if there were POW camps in both places.

Comment

Gusti Rornheim

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the translation. Very interesting. So Gusti had this photo taken in England and apparently gave it to a friend that was held prisoner with him. Any idea what branch of service were held in Clinton, Miss.? I know U-Boat guys were held out west. What sort of uniform is Gusti wearing in this photo, any idea?

Comment

DAK in Clinton, Mississippi

Originally posted by Floris View Post
        Mississippi could also be Missouri.
        In both states there's a place called Clinton. I don't know if there were POW camps in both places.
        I think we can be confident it was Clinton, Mississippi.

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
        Hi Norm,

Thanks for the translation. Very interesting. So Gusti had this photo taken in England and apparently gave it to a friend that was held prisoner with him. Any idea what branch of service were held in Clinton, Miss.? I know U-Boat guys were held out west. What sort of uniform is Gusti wearing in this photo, any idea?
        Apparently most of the prisoners were DAK. I believe that fits with your Unteroffizier's shirt and shoulder straps.
        Check out these links:
        http://www2.netdoor.com/~allardma/powcamp2.html
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton,_Mississippi

Regards,
        ---Norm

P.S. He looks a lot like Don Knotts! The Shakiest Gun in the West!

Comment

Gusti Rornheim

Hi Norm,

Thanks so much with locating information on the POW Camp. I thought he was DAK, but wasn't sure. I thought he was either DAK or had been captured in Italy. However, since you told me the majority of this camps POW's were DAK men, I'm satisfied with that. Once again thanks for the help and you're right, he does look like Don Knotts.

Comment

Bill, here is a recent addition to the collection. this is part of 10 photo lot taken 5-16-45 at, according to back of photo, a 350mm gun emplacement. I am guessing coastal artillery.

Mike

Comment

regrds, olivier

Comment

Thank you Mike, Olivier, STuGIII and others for continuing to contribute to this thread during my absence. Nice photos and dialog. Here a a few additions of my own.

Aug09 - POW Canada Portrait 1
                Attached Files

Comment

Aug09 - POW Camp 133 Ottawa Canada Portrait 2
                  Attached Files

Comment

Aug09 - POW France - 1
                    Attached Files

Comment

Aug09 - POW France - 2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Aug09 - POW France - 3
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ss pow??
                          Attached Files

Comment

hi w petz,

so you were the one who outbid me!?
                            i believe, this is a rad tunic.

regards,
                            taube.

Comment

Taube,

Sorry about that! I'm not so sure that it is a RAD tunic...this photo is telling me he is a POW as there is a lack of insignia anywhere on the uniform or cap. The one button M43 appears to me to be SS. I could be seeing things but I believe I see the outline of possible Tab on the collar.

Bill

Comment

Bill, did you see the 4 POW made photo albums on ebay recently? They were gorgeous. Leather with hand made brass trim and name plate for the camp commandant. They went for 0ver 1500.00 combined.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X