X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your photos are simply the BEST !!!!!!

Comment

years of hard work but I LOVE IT

something really fantastic from the new collection of afrika korp color slides I bought. Rommels Max in COLOR ! Ian

http://pixpast.com/stock-photo/field...mut-12495.html

Comment

A great look at the elusive colours of the British caunter camouflage scheme, thanks for posting these Ian.

Rutger

Comment

Evening guys.

Can I ask you your opinion ?

I recently acquired the photographic collection of Afrika Korp Photographer Fritz Moosmüller.

In all the photos, Moosmüller does not have a beard.
          Also in one complete 35mm negative strip he is first photographed by someone else (Tunisia 1942) and then the next cell on the film strip shows another war photographer (Sonderfuhrer) with a big thick beard.

The handful of photos of Moosmüller on the internet show the bearded man... the same man as in the second black and white cell that I guess Moosmüller shot.

So is it possible that these two war photographers were working together in the same unit and simply got mixed up sometimes... ?

What do you think ?
          Thanks.
          Ian

Comment

Ian,
            In my opinion, the three photographs showing the Sonderfuhrer with the beard are the same person. Look at his nose.

Another photographer in the same PK unit was Eberhard Dohm. There are two excellant color pictures of him in the book 'Afrikakorps: Rommel's Tropical Army In Original Color'.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by i.spring View Post
              So is it possible that these two war photographers were working together in the same unit and simply got mixed up sometimes... ?
              PK photographers usually worked in teams, often 2 still photographers and 1 movie cameraman.

Jason

Comment

I agree with Jason. It was common for two photographers to take photos side by side, and to occasionally photograph each other (sometimes with the subject's camera). They often had a movie cameraman with them, so you can find scenes in a Wochenschau that have nearly-matching photos that are not simply stills from the movie footage.

An example is the well-known scenes from Kaiserbarracke in the Ardennes when Kurt Sova's King Tiger 222 passed the scene, and a LAH Kubelwagen pulled up to study a sign post. Max Büschel photographed the scene, while a movie cameraman took moving footage of the events. He also captured Büschel, camera around his neck, walking up to the signs and hanging a rifle around one so it wouldn't appear crooked.

Comment

Another PK photographer in Afrika was Valtengojer, who took this photo (sorry for posting a non-color PK pic in your thread.) You can see the same bearded man on the left.

Zwilling, Otto, Gross, Dörner, Spitta, Ketelhohn, Markwardt, Lutz Koch, Bauer, Geller, Obergefreiter Koth were some other PK men in Afrika.

3489/ PK men were awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class.
                  For their prominent action in the last battle in North Afrika during the well-coordinated British retreat, these German Kriegsberichters were awarded with the Iron Cross 1st Class.
                  6 February 1942 Atlantic PK-Valtingojer
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just started coloring on b/w photos and I hope that someday I can attain the quality of these masterful pieces that Ian has provided.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWatch1 View Post
                      I just started coloring on b/w photos and I hope that someday I can attain the quality of these masterful pieces that Ian has provided.
                      Ian is posting original colour slides, not b/w photos that have been coloured in Photoshop. That's what makes them so remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                        Another PK photographer in Afrika was Valtengojer, who took this photo (sorry for posting a non-color PK pic in your thread.) You can see the same bearded man on the left.
                        Excellent photo, Todd!

I can add another name to the list: PK Sautter (Lt.d.R. Heinrich Sautter), who worked with Hoth's 4. Panzerarmee during the assault on Stalingrad, was transferred to PAnzer-Propaganda-Kompanie Afrika and captured during the final battles in Tunisia.

Jason

Comment

Thanks Jason for the info.

Hopefully Ian can post some more excellent color slides to keep this outstanding thread going! Great slides Ian. I am jealous of your impressive collection!

Comment

Awesome pics

Comment

Hi guys.

Thank you so much for your fantastic help !
                              I also got some super help from Remy Spezzano and also the daughter from Moosmüller.

What I found is that Fritz Moosmüller was assigned to work with the 16mm propaganda photographer and film maker Hans Ertl.
                              Ertl produced a lot of film for the Die Deutsche Wochenschau.
                              He was stationed with Moosmüller in Afrika in 1941 and later that year was transfered to the Russian front.
                              From the memories of Moosmüllers daughter, he never wore a beard even in war time.

But Erntl did have a long bushy beard in Afrika 1941.
                              So that would fit.

Here is a fantastic german repot on Ertl:

Regisseur: Hans Ertl 1/3

Ausschnitte über den berühmten Bergsteiger Kameramann, Kriegsberichterstatter, Regisseur und Autor Hans Ertl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWIgW6BfOQ

Ian

Comment

I really like this new one in the door

Lieutenant General Emil Kern, Austrian Staff General responsible for war bridges, 4th German Army. France 1940

Ian

http://pixpast.com/stock-photo/lieut...940-12624.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X