No announcement yet.

Post your unknown unit and or tactical emblem photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks, that appears to be the image on this unit emblem. Would this have been a unit formed in Hamburg? That may narrow my search.

Comment

What is this division / tactical sign stitched at this POW-art? I guess either LW or para related, as there is also a ground combat badge stitched.
      Attached Files

Comment

FJ Rgt. 7 would be my guess.

Comment

I've searched this thread to see if there is anything similar to what I'm looking for and didn't find anything. Please go to this link: http://armorfortheages.com/Tactical01.jpg

This tactical symbol was on the front of a Marder II that was surrendered to U.S. forces in May 1945. Another Marder II had the same marking, but inside the rhomboid was lettering that is not clear, may also start with Pz, but it also had P31 or P37 or P39 below it.

I'm trying to find out what division they belonged to. A recon battalion is evident and two divisions are possibilities - 1st SS LAH or 1st PD. 1st PD's recon battalion was 4 Aufklarung Abteilung, but this was changed to 1 Aufklarung Abteilung late in the war.

Any help would be appreciated.

Garry

Comment

Garry, the unit abbreviation would indicate Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung 1 but the rhomboid would not normally be associated with a Pz AA, they had their own tactical symbol. Nor would it be normal for a Marder II to have the rhomboid painted on it, a Marder II would normally have the tactical symbol of a PanzerJäger Abteilung. The Rhomboid would normally only be seen on vehicles belonging to a Panzer Regiment or Abteilung or on a Jagdpanzer type such as the Jagdpanzer IV or a StuG serving in either a Panzer or Panzerjäger unit, in this case the Rhomboid would have a T in place of the little flag in your illustration.
            Do you have a link to the film in which you saw these Marders ?
            Last edited by Alanmccoubrey; 10-31-2015, 10:08 AM. Reason: Additional text

Comment

Alan, rhomboid appears to be quite usual tactical symbol for Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung in late stage of war. Take a look on photos of recently recovered in Poland Sd.Kfz.250 or GD AA half-tracks. Anyway Marder II in AA is a bit strange at least.

Comment

Mark, I haven't seen any markings at all on the "Polish" 250, other than its number plate and I've never seen a GD AA half-track with a rhomboid. Any links to such photographs ?

Comment

Alan, Here you have - photo of markings recovered transporter taken from internet and GD photo from old e-bay auction (there were whole collection of their AA vehicles):

Comment

Hi Mark,

comes the first photo from the recently in Poland found Sd.Kfz.250 / 1 ?

regards
                    Dieter

Comment

Yes, it does Dieter.

Comment

Here are the photos.

This is the one that was sent to the Armor School Museum which eventually became the Patton Museum. I have enlarged the area with the tactical sign and inserted into the photo. I have worked with it in Photoshop to help with clarity.
                        http://armorfortheages.com/PMmarderII.jpg

This is the one sent to Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The area is also enlarged though not as clear.
                        http://armorfortheages.com/APGmarderII.jpg

They were collected from a vehicle collection point after the war in either southern Czechoslovakia or Austria. They are both from the same recon battalion but I would like to determine which division. LAH and 1st PD seem logical, but there were no division insignias evident in the photos.

Thanks,
                        Garry

Comment

Hi Mark,

in my opinion, the unit belonging of vehicle so it is clear. 2.Kp. Pz.Aufk.Abt. 25 !

Gruss Dieter

Comment

Originally posted by augustdieter View Post
                            in my opinion, the unit belonging of vehicle so it is clear. 2.Kp. Pz.Aufk.Abt. 25
                            Dieter, not only in yours
                            Anyway do you notice that division emblem propagated in internet is incorrect -in fact the half moon was above 3 6-Point stars as it is on the recovered vehicle

Comment

Hi Mark,

do you notice that division emblem propagated in internet is incorrect -in fact the half moon was above 3 6-Point stars
                              no, my source was primarily "Schmitz / Thies Band 1" and then the internet
                              Which source do you have?

Comment

For example this photo:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X