ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bill. Just this morning I found that Nd is for Niederdonau in Austria, that may help?
    Kerry.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Sorry for the rather erratic replies.

I am heavily involved in selling my business to my Son and it has turned into a bit of a paperwork nightmare. Over 10 various Government agencies involved and all want all kinds of copies of documents, none the same and none in the same quantities.

At this point, the first payment my Son will make to my wife and myself are going to go to the Lawyer and the Accountant who have to sort all of this out. Meh!!!

As well, two days before Christmas, a pipe broke in our upstairs bathroom and flooded the bathroom, the kitchen below and our cellar. Also several other smaller rooms. If that were not enough, on New Years Day we had a terrible rain storm and our cellar flooded from the floor up as opposed to the roof down.

Major negotiations with the Insurance Company, of course.

In any case, regarding the license/registration plate question, I believe that the plate we see is not a civilian plate but rather some sort of militar plate which I have seen before and sometimes with different combinations of two letters, ie, nD, nP etc.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by kerryboo View Post
        Aha....progress.
        Here are two queries in one. What is the car, and what does the WI signify? I am used to WH, WL, WM and even OT, but WI?Cheers,
        Kerry.
        Hi Kerry,

WI mean business. The vehicle belongs to a military industrial unit
        For example: Wehrwirtschafts-Inspektion or Wehrwirtschafts-Kommando.

Dieter

Comment

Hi Dieter,
          That is fascinating, thank you very much,
          Regards,
          Kerry.

Comment

Bill,
            They say that cockroaches are the only creatures that will survive the final apocalypse, but I think there will still be solicitors to represent them!
            But, seriously, like in divorce, the solicitors are the only winners, I think (and I used to be a prosector!)
            Good luck,
            Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray View Post
              Hi Kerry:

They are both Borgwards and they look to me to be ex civilian vehicles.
              I will try to ID the exact model in a bit but I often get it wrong.
              Holger or Bert are very good with these trucks and may get back to
              you sooner.

Edit: Probably 3 tonners.

Cheers
              Bill
              Hi Bill,

Here I dont agree with you ;-)
              I think both trucks are Hansa-Lloyd, 2,5t also called "Bremen IV" and both are civillian.

best regards

Henning

Comment

Hi Henning:

Thank you for the correction and my apologies for not putting your name in as the "Real Borgward Expert". I don't know how I missed thinking of you.

Cheers
                Bill

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Sorry I am behind.

Your 1101 is quite possibly a Delahaye as I mentioned earlier.

Here is a photo showing the design of the rear side window without divider, the sweep of the door moulding and the mounting of the main headlamps, all of which seem to match nicely.

Bill
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bill Murray; 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Holtzvergaser Kadett?

Hello,
                    To my eyes this looks to be an Opel Kadett with a gas-producer fitted. There seems to be a cylinder fixed in front and a large "lump" at the back, spare tyre on the roof along with a net for fuel. Does anyone see it as I do, or am I mistaken?
                    Thanks for looking,
                    Kerry.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kerry:

A most interesting photo to be sure!!

Unfortunately, I cannot for certain answer your question.

To be sure, the car is an Opel Kadett 1938/1940.

Based on looking at thousands of photos of various vehicles of the period, I would come to some observations.

1. The Holzgas/Producer Gas apparatus generally were a lot more bulky than what I see here on the photo.

2. What I have seen is many, many vehicles with "fascines" or wooden branches mounted on the front of the vehicle to get through mud/snow etc.

What is mounted on the back is a complete mystery to me.

There are rolls of what may be wheat or some other agricultural product laying about in the photo (they may also be fuel canisters as the detail is a bit rough, and what appears to be mounted on the Opel may in fact be in the background. That does not explain the branches that also seem to be attached to the rear of the Opel.

The trees and general appearance of the locale seem to suggest far Southern Europe or maybe even North Africa. Same for the uniform.

Finally, Holzgas/Producer gas etc. was rarely seen in combat areas due to it's poor efficiency and the sheer bulk of the materiel needed to fuel the vehicles. It was mainly used by civilian users in Europe and in the case of the military, in "pacified" areas.

Cheers

Bill

Comment

Can anyone ID this vehicle please?

Hi All,

The picture is just annotated M.E.F., my father is on the left.

I am led to believe it could be a Mercedes Benz 170V. Any info re these vehicles & their use in WW2 would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Comment

Motorcycles to indentify

Hello Sirs, do you know the models of these motorcycles?
                          Thanks, Daniele.

Two aces: Leutnant Kurt Wiegand (32 victories) reports to Major Priller (on the bike)

Major Karl Borris, Luftwaffe ace with 43 victories.

Comment

How about this vehicle in Champagne May 1940?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Or this one?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Todd:

1939 Buick, most likely the model "Special".

Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X