UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your unidintified vehicle photos here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s.pak View Post
    this time it's realy one Mercedes (star logo on the wheels) but what is the model ?

patrick
    A modified W143, Type 230?

Comment

Hi Patrick:

I believe your car is a Horch 8 (Not 830 or 850) from the earlier 1930s.

I will try to scan in a photo later today.
      Bill

Comment

Hi Patrick:

Back again. I could not find a photo of the exact car your photo shows but this is as close as I can get, a Horch 8 500B Pullman-Cabriolet from 1932-1934 from the book "Alle Horch Automobile 1900-1945" by Werner Oswald.

Starting from the front again.

Bumper: Most Horch cars had a non-chromium bumper such as your photo and mine. Most Mercedes cars had bright chromium bumpers.

Front fender/mudguard:

Again, the typical heavier/deeper skirting of the side of the fender/mudguard that is typical of Horch. Mercedes had a narrower fender skirt normally.

Headlamps:

Typical "Barrel style" on your photo as seen on most Horch vehicles of the time. Mercedes typically used a slightly smaller more bullet shaped main lamp.

Sidelamps:

Horch typically used the small "miniature bullet shaped" side lamps whereas Mercedes either did not use them at all or used a "streamlined" smaller side lamp.

Radiator shape:

This is a matter of how you view the photos, but to my eyes, the Horch radiator is quite flat, as in your photo even with the winter mask, and Mercedes mostly have a slight V to a very pronounced V.
        Also, the Horch has a deeper radiator surround than the Mercedes which is also hard to see here but that is what my eyes tell me.

Hood/bonnet side ventilation:

Your photo and my example both show ventilation by a series of "doors" which one can often see on Horch vehicles, never in my experience on Mercedes vehicles. Mercedes used stamped louvres rather than doors.
        Horch did also use stamped louvres on some examples.

Windscreen wipers:

Mentioned in our discussion of a previous photo. Horch most often had them mounted at the bottom of the windscreen, Mercedes at the top.

Wheels:

I am not on such firm ground here, but your photo shows a stamped wheel with multiple ventilation holes. I do not find this present on any Mercedes vehicles but on a few Horch vehicles. I suspect that maybe all Horch wheels were like this but they fitted some sort of "beauty ring" on the rim which covered up these holes.

Having now written all of this, someone will probably come along and tell us it is a French Delahaye or Delage, which also fit some of my ID clues.

In which case, I will just surrender.

Bill
        Attached Files

Comment

ok bill,
          i have search many time, but i do not find anything really convincing.
          can be a Horch like you known as, but i am not really convincing too.
          i think Mercedes (but i am really not sure) because this.

it seems to me to see the Mercedes logo
          not you ?

patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick:

Good for you!!

My photo editing program is not very good (or I do not know how to use it properly) and I was not able to enlarge the wheel area as you did.

Definitely a Mercedes star and I started looking again. and I now think it might be a Mercedes 500 early version.
            I will post here a photo I got off of Google which while not exactly the same is very close. Bumper is wrong as are the wipers but I have found some other photos of the same type of car with straight bumper and windscreen wipers mounted at the bottom.

I will try to post another photo or two tonight.
            Bill
            Attached Files

Comment

thanks bill

patrick

Comment

yep ! i think i have found !

this is certainly one Mercedes 1932 so called "Nurnberg"

this one is a cabriolet of simsheim museum (germany)

patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick:

I think your mystery is solved!!

I will not post yet another photo as they are all almost the same, but there is one in Werner Oswald's book "Mercedes Benz Personenwagen 1886-1994" which has the correct windscreen wipers and small side lights etc. etc. and only has the split front bumper that is different. All other ID clues match what you and I have posted most recently.

Good hunting, Mon Ami.

Bill

Comment

another car in luftwaffe hand, i think this is a English beute, but i'm not sure.

patrick

Comment

What do you think Patrick??

Rosengart LR4 N2 about 1938 or so.
                      Bill
                      Attached Files

Comment

yes, super bill

a nice french car.

patrick

Comment

Just trying to get my reputation back my friend.
                          That was not easy!! Several wasted hours going through British car books and then it came to me that many French cars of the day had right hand drive also.

After that it was only another half hour.

Bill

Comment

ID please

semi-trailer tank of the Waffen SS, perhaps "beute"

patrick

Comment

Patrick:

I am having problems with your tanker tractor.

Do you know in which country the photo was taken??

If in France, several possibilities, but the cab design looks to me more from the Dutch/Belgian area. That would give different possibilities...

Bill

Comment

Hello Patrick,

I think it could be a british Morris Commercial. I have a similar vehicle on my site:

http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepa...ercial_lc.html

But I think it is a larger vehicle than the LC. Maybe a C or CV variant. The driver's cab seems not to be British.

Regards, Holger.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 118 users online. 0 members and 118 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X