ribbentrop waffen ss tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.Warren View Post
    The heart break!!!!!! It will now go into the catogory of "restored". Well hell, I thought it had all the original insignia and stuff. But seriously, with a piece this important, its certiainly a good and right thing to do.

Regards,
    Joel
    Sir, where did you come from all of the sudden??? What an ASSanine statement.How many days have you been in this hobby?Adding medals is NOT restoration.Its adding parts {which can be removed} to present the tunic as it was worn, to enhance display,and in this case represents the awards of a certain historic personality.Restoration is sewing cloth insignia to a tunic,adding missing pips etc.Medals DOES not fall under that category.Sure it would be great to have the original medals,but REPLACING the medals is just that,REPLACING.Not restoring.
    I sincerely think you belive this is restoration,wow,you know what? please don't comment on such a serious matter/piece if you do'nt realize the basics of collecting,it makes you sound very amateur,AND it insults the integrity of not just the tunic or Craig,but all of us.Now please crawl out from under my skin ok?
    Last edited by wewelsburg; 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Just think of all those tunics out there "restored" by the addition of original medals and orders! Argh, the shame of it all! Where will it end?

Comment

Originally posted by wewelsburg View Post
        Sir, where did you come from all of the sudden??? What an ASSanine statement.How many days have you been in this hobby?Adding medals is NOT restoration.Its adding parts {which can be removed} to present the tunic as it was worn, to enhance display,and in this case represents the awards of a certain historic personality.Restoration is sewing cloth insignia to a tunic,adding missing pips etc.Medals DOES not fall under that category.Sure it would be great to have the original medals,but REPLACING the medals is just that,REPLACING.Not restoring.
        I sincerely think you belive this is restoration,wow,you know what? please don't comment on such a serious matter/piece if you do'nt realize the basics of collecting,it makes you sound very amateur,AND it insults the integrity of not just the tunic or Craig,but all of us.Now please crawl out from under my skin ok?
        Where did I come from all of the sudden? Been a member longer than you. How many days have I been in this hobby? Approx 10,586 days. I believe, as do many others, that if you add something to a tunic that wasn't there before, has never TOUCHED that tunic or part of the group, it is restoring. It is, what it is. NOW, if you had continued reading my statement, Mr. Gottlieb's tunic is of such importance and rarity I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

re·store
             [ri-stawr, -stohr] Show IPA

verb (used with object), -stored, -stor·ing.
          to bring back into existence, use, or the like; reestablish: to restore order.

to bring back to a former, original, or normal condition, as a building, statue, or painting.

to bring back to a state of health, soundness, or vigor.

to put back to a former place, or to a former position, rank, etc.: to restore the king to his throne.

to give back; make return or restitution of (anything taken away or lost).

Comment

Although I do thank you for your compliment on the tunic, I think that 99.9% of collectors would NOT consider the hanging of medals on a tunic a "restoration" of any sort. It'd be the same as if you called the placing of a belt, or a dagger, with a tunic, a "restoration" of the tunic. Anyway ...

Comment

Maybe I missed that but:

The tunic consists of Hose und Jacke, correct?

Or is his Mütze included as well?

Comment

I understand what you mean, not a permanent restoration, but a permanent presentation. I personally do not put ribbon bars or such on any of my tunics. That is what keeps the ones with the original ribbon bars so much more special to me. Although they are getting hard to find, even with IJN material nowadays. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers...

Regards,
                Joel

Comment

Nur Hose und Jacke. Leider keine Mutze.

Comment

What a beautiful, beautiful piece......I can only imagine that with my young head start (22) I can have something like this in the next 50 years ahhaha

Comment

I first saw this tunic in my 20s, so there is still hope, and I just turned 40.

Comment

Displaying with decorations is not restoration its simply display.

Comment

22 year old Craig ever think he'd have Mr. Ribbentrop sitting in your collection?

because I have lots of high hopes....first it was an army dagger, then sa, then M33, M36, SS visor., allgemein tunic...........

I'm assuming this is your favorite piece?

Comment

Hello Herr Red Baron, sorry for going off topic here, but you got a Allgemeine Tunic?...can we see please?
                            Regards,
                            Gary

Comment

It wouldn't stand a chance on this thread vs Craig's....

was gunna make a thread for it someday....

Check your texts Gary.

Comment

Congratulations Craig. You put your money where your mouth is. The advertising value of this tunic will pay dividends for you far into the future. Best wishes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X