Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ambivalent stand on tobacco in Third Reich

From my memory,
    the relationship to tobacco and Third Reich was ambigous. There are books on the Nazi gov.'s campaign against smoking. I know one person who was there during the war and remembers the anti-smoking posters with a cartoon cigarette ash character.
    However, I also remember that early on the SA and SS had some interaction with tobacco industry. I just was reading about a high SS ranking big business man who money came from his Tobacco industry.
    Also we have all read about how Himmler looked for all revenue streams possible for his ever growing SS empire.So as tobacco made money....I wonder.
    But at the same time, I have seen a anti-smoking Schwarze Korps poster
    So as i said from what I remember reading and hearing, this is an exceedingly unclear historical area.

Michael

Comment

I have seen several times these type of pipes on store display board (not packaged) about 8 of them tied to the cardboard for the wehrmacht. Those are definitely real , now these WSS ones I do not know , the pipes look the same to me and i do not know why they wouldnt just get the normal type the other branches got, i would not take these unless they were ultra cheap.
      Iam Uncle Sam
      That’s who Iam
      Been hiding out
      In a rock and roll band

Comment

Dion

UH..Muenster are you smoking your Pipe right now???? The tall clear one that makes bubbles?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          UH..Muenster are you smoking your Pipe right now???? The tall clear one that makes bubbles?
          lol,,iam serious strange, these pipes were sold on flatboard for the military, ive ran into them on occasion, but not like these ss ones.

to answer your question about blowing bubbles

yes i used to blow bubbles when i was a little kid, as did you

also fyi bubbles has just been released from prison and is looking for us
          Iam Uncle Sam
          That’s who Iam
          Been hiding out
          In a rock and roll band

Comment

I think these pipes and the case are genuin items from the period!

Many other units had their own mil.equipment and outfit made in spesial versons and package. Like the wehrmacht. Also Himmlers WSS. These was quite normal and just a part of the german logistics system.

And you will not find rzm on item like this! Just labels on cases!
            Last edited by maxmin todt; 03-03-2009, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you to people who agree with me for all of your comments, and Thank you also to all great experts in TR items.I appreciate.
              Notton

Comment

Originally posted by notton View Post
                Thank you to people who agree with me for all of your comments, and Thank you also to all great experts in TR items.I appreciate.
                Notton
                PS: Thank you to Nordscheswig for the photo.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by notton View Post
                  Notton
                  Once again, you fail to see the forest for the trees. Of course some SS men smoked in spite of the official policies discouraging the use of tobacco, but it remains highly unlikely that the SS would officially procure and distribute pipes to its soldiers. The simple, obvious fact that some smoked pipes does absolutely nothing to support the authenticity of a box of old pipes with bogus stamps and markings.

Some SS men also used watches. By your backward logic, that would make this POS real: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=340819

Can't we have a separate forum for amateurs to discuss their Eastern European fakes and fantasy items and leave this one to the discussion of legitimate items among real collectors who actually have a clue?

Comment

Pipes

Well if you are going to use that Photo to claim those Pipes are real it would be impossible. In the Photo only two People are smoking pipes and the box contains 6 Pipes. I am using your logic.

Were the Pipes only issued to Smoke Troops? I cannot see any Waffenfarbe in that black and white foto.

Comment

now to remember better the pipes i seen were for sale, not issued.
                      Iam Uncle Sam
                      That’s who Iam
                      Been hiding out
                      In a rock and roll band

Comment

I cannot comment on those pipes or the box and markings but people smoked as they did before and after the 3rd Reich era. So just because Hitler disliked it it was not so that nobody smoked.

And the forces took care on the supply of tobacco goods to the men in the field.

I would also tend to believe that the box and its markings are a bit "unusal" but I can't comment as I am not capable.

Cheers

Fritz
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't believe in them! as stated before: these are private purchase items, just like combs razors etc.
                          Only tobacco itself had a tax seal. There is no reason to issue these only to ss troops.

Comment

Liquor and tobacco was a important part of the soldiers ration. And of course also for the SS soldiers. So those who claim that ss men did'nt drink and smoke just because Himmler and Hitler did not...have very much mistaken. The pipes and the case looks good to me! And I'm not suprised to see things like this! And I think some arguments against this find is reprehensible!

Maby Himmler would have said:
                            "I belief in these pipes, like I belief in massmurder!"

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
                              Once again, you fail to see the forest for the trees. Of course some SS men smoked in spite of the official policies discouraging the use of tobacco, but it remains highly unlikely that the SS would officially procure and distribute pipes to its soldiers. The simple, obvious fact that some smoked pipes does absolutely nothing to support the authenticity of a box of old pipes with bogus stamps and markings.

Some SS men also used watches. By your backward logic, that would make this POS real: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=340819

Can't we have a separate forum for amateurs to discuss their Eastern European fakes and fantasy items and leave this one to the discussion of legitimate items among real collectors who actually have a clue?
                              I agree with Bwanek!
                              Here we are talking about the desire that these pipes are original SS issue at any cost... just because they bear a bogus stamp on a box of period pipes doesn't mean they were really packed for the SS ... it simply doesn't make any sense

Comment

Anyone who has collected personal items for any length of time has seen the glut of fake SS and Wehrmacht marked personal items coming from Eastern Europe. Often these items are sold at flea markets in Europe for just a few dollars. Keep in mind that in some parts of the world you can get a steak dinner with all the trimmings at a fancy restaurant for under $5 so there is incentive to add these fake marks to old stuff if it helps make a sale. It isn't about whether or not SS soldiers smoked or were issued tobacco, the issue is the similarity between the fake markings on this real box and the fake markings found on hundreds of old items as well as the bunker candles, Lederfett, foot powder, and all the other fake SS marked personal items that are widely available. As has been mentioned, the tax stamp makes no sense.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X