Beret skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
    Here is another photo, not the greatest clarity, but its a beret skull on the black overseas cap,
    Richard,
    Sorry not a beret tk its a metal jawless tk

Comment

Gary,

Perhaps you have a clearer photo since I just grabbed it off ebay. I asked others before I posted and they also thought it was a beret skull. I also thought it looked too large for the metal TK. Do you have a clearer photo you can post? Oh well, if I posted in error...I apologize.

Richard P

Comment

In the photo of the LAH in Poland they appear to be wearing the bevo capskulls rather tyhan the beret skulls.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
          Do you have a clearer photo you can post?
          Richard,
          Had to look took a while to find,
          Last edited by Gary Wood; 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Gary,

Thanks....you must have an extensive file and it sure comes in handy. That is very clear, and if they had put a clear copy on ebay I might not have made this blunder!!

John,

I'm pretty sure those are cloth beret skulls on their berets in the early LAH photo...what is this, make Richard look bad day? Just kidding, I wish others would point out all the glaring errors in the skull assessments I have posted.

Thanks Gary and John,

Richard P

Comment

Here is a different SS beret with insignia photo, for sure it really is SS beret insignia this time.

Richard P
              Attached Files

Comment

panzer baret skull and eagle

hello gents.
                many years ago i payed good money.for this skull and eagle.
                i am happy with the skull.the eyes have had a pencil or object.pushed throw
                to now make look deformed.also some burning.the eagle however.i think is a
                modern fake.can one of you experts please put my mind at rest.
                many thanks.
                dave,
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Dave,

Here are three for comparison. If you will note, each is slightly different.

Bob Hritz
                  Attached Files
                  In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

This eagle, I believe, is a copy.

Bob Hritz
                    Attached Files
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

panzer insignia

Bob, I think a very good opinion and very nice examples I might add.
                      jim

Comment

panzer skull and eagle

hello Bob.
                        many thanks for info and photos.i am now sure eagle.is modern copy.the skull i still think original.having looked at other original skulls on this thread.
                        many thanks.
                        dave,
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dave,

I must concur with brother Hritz. The eagle is most likely a modern repro, besides the embroidery pattern being off quite a bit, they curved the wings down. They are straight out on all the originals I've observed.

The skull...I am in agreement with you. It is the the closest to the #3 skull for comparative purposes. It does not seem to be the #4 "Big Nose" variety. I feel that this particular type conforms to all the criteria to indicate original manufacture. Don't be surprised if yours will be called fake by others....mine is too. Thanks for posting and good luck on your quest for the correct eagle now (if you haven't given up).

Richard P

Comment

beret skulls

hello richard
                            many thanks for your.well informed informatiom about the skull.
                            as i said i was sure original.but nice to hear you are happy with it.as a good one.
                            best wishes
                            dave,

Comment

Does anyone have photos of the SS stug beret that was at the MAX show? I have heard that Steve Wolf gave it a thumbs up. Did anyone happen to photograph it? Even just visual confirmation would be fine. Any opinions on it?

Richard

Comment

I guess all things come to those who wait. At least in this case answers and photos of the SS beret at the MAXX. It is currently for sale on the Oakleaf Militaria website along with beautiful close-up photos. I will post a few of the photos and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

There are some opinions posted on the other thread where I thought I was looking for an SS stug beret. It turned out to be this SS panzer beret instead.

I think the skull is a no brainer...but I will try and keep an open mind.

The eagle...WOW, I would have tossed that baby out as a movie prop eagle because of the cartoonish appearance, but...it may be perfectly legit. Bryon Singer has seen two of this exact type a number of years apart and from good sources. I am sure he will weigh in again and perhaps give more details if there are any more to be had.

Tom (tgn) has seen it in person and with a loop, and if I recall correctly, he is a very experienced long time collector, so I will give due weight to his first hand observations.

I will let others comment and then I will come back and no, I don't have any inside info that would give me an edge...so no surprises from me.

Richard
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X