No announcement yet.

WSS caps eagle and tk marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone post some pictures of the 475/42 eagle? Thanks in advance!

Comment

As it belongs to this amazing intersting thread I post these pictures I posted in another thread of the M1/17 eagle.
      Attached Files

Comment

The back...
        Attached Files

Comment

These images were posted by Adrian Stevenson in a past thread. They are part of a vet grouping that he picked up. This eagle is an aluminum version:
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse:
            Attached Files

Comment

From what I have learned by speaking to a respected SS collector the 475/39 eagles are usually found with the prongs broken off. This can be observed on the pictured examples.

Comment

Here is one of my 475/42's.I am skeptical of this and the 475/39.I just havn't seen a convincing argument put forth on these.I would like them to be original ,I need some for visors.Cheers Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SJP
                  Here is one of my 475/42's.I am skeptical of this and the 475/39.I just havn't seen a convincing argument put forth on these.I would like them to be original ,I need some for visors.Cheers Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Steve:

That is a very interesting example you posted. What is interesting to me is the crimped in pin assembly. I recall that the accepted fakes had the pins soldered onto a round base that was then itself soldered onto the reverse of the eagle...in three spots. Then of course I have seen the style (not sure what code) with crimped in pins similiar to original crimped on styles such as you see on this original skull:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting these interesting pictures: does anyone have a picture of the 475/42 which is accepted as real?

Comment

Hi John,I have not quite reconciled w/myself why these pin attachments differ amoung the same codes other than the time frame of manufacture.It must have been expediency for the change.Your Deschler would have to be considered a wartime piece.Your crimp looks much more acceptable to me than the M1/17's 375/39.That style is just like 360/42.I am sympathetic to vet pick up claims as I have several myself.At this point in time I just would not want a 475/39 like the one posted.Here is a copy 475/42Cheers Steve
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Steve Pardon; 02-02-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Well, I was about ready to post another announcement,
                          (in addition to the M1/17 eagles), but you guys have beat me to it.
                          After the thread on Adrian's aluminum 475 eagle, I felt I should
                          search for more information on the controversial 475 marked eagles.
                          However, even with a lot of help, I did not have any luck until just the last couple months or
                          so, but I have finally learned that there are most certainly original 475 marked eagles after all,
                          in which all of the fakes have been patterned after,
                          (which is 99% of them), as said by John.
                          I believe Adrian's aluminum eagle to be an original
                          as well as John's vet acquired zinc version.
                          I also believe 100%, that I know who the maker is.
                          It is Ferdinand Wagner, (M1/8). Anyone ever wonder why you
                          don't see M1/8 eagles in aluminum or zinc?
                          Well, that's because they are 475 instead of M1/8.
                          Anyway, I have compared the head, beak, and chest details down to
                          every spot, even the shadow material around the head,
                          and there is no doubt, that it is the exact same front die as the earlier
                          M1/8 marked eagles.
                          Also, I have found that while the 39 dated versions come in both,
                          aluminum and zinc, the zinc ones also can be dated 42 and possibly
                          other years, and can have the pins blob soldered on,
                          without attachments, (like the late Assmann eagles).
                          These may remain controversial amongst many collectors,
                          but I would now own one. I have located several collectors
                          and have friends that have obtained them from vets.
                          I just wish it had not taken us so long to acquire this info.
                          I believe this is another mystery, finally solved.
                          Any other feedback welcomed.

Best, Chris
                          Last edited by SScollector; 03-06-2005, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Hey, It didnt take all of us that long to figure it out, I have know it for many years. this is a 475/39 eagle on a 100% original waffen ss officers visor.

Regards,
                            Kevin
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Sayle F; 03-06-2005, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Granted, but most of us have not gotten them from vets before
                              and remember that it is only a tiny fraction of them, that are real.
                              Almost all of the originals that have ever been shown on any forums,
                              are in this thread, (I think there were just a couple others).

Best, Chris

Comment

But remember not everybody posts pictures of their collections on these forums, I know that for a fact

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 16 users online. 0 members and 16 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X