Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is a cotton example at this point. How much is he asking for it?

Comment

I just want to make a general comment about Graf Spee tallies and caps. That ship has always been of great interest to me, I have visited the veterans in Argentina over the years, none that I knew still alive unfortunately. They were young sailors and had no idea what was going on and very mixed feelings about the outcome and their roles in the event. I did not meet a single sailor who thought the Captain should have sailed off and fought the British fleet in some epic battle in mid-Atlantic assuming they could have shot their way past the battered British cruisers at the mouth of the river.

In any case, sometimes collectors assemble caps from parts, meaning frame, hardware and tally from original pieces. So in theory, it is a complete period cap.

However, this is impossible for Graf Spee. The reason is that all sailor caps that I have seen, and of course I have not inspected the couple thousand or more that must have existed after the battle or the many others that were worn by former Graf Spee sailors transferred before the last sailing. I can only report on the ones I have seen and own.

Please look at these from my collection to see what I am talking about. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to obtain blue topped Graf Spee caps so I cannot report on those. The only ones that I know that exist outside of the families today reside in Brazil in a private collection. A book will be forthcoming someday about that collection and i am looking forward to it, hopefully many questions will be answered.

So here are two:

The first one has an eagle that is not original to the cap, I put it there. I think I put the wrong style on for 1939, have to check. You see, you have to be careful with Graf Spee since the hardware would have to be exactly right for 1939 or prior.
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

And a tally without cap
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are two Graf Spee eagles, from sailors at the time of the battle. I do not own these caps so cannot post entire cap.

I think they are the same as the one I attached to the first cap.
            Attached Files

Comment

Good evening,

still an original Kunstseide in near mint condition, for my opinion.

Go for it if the price is right! There are only three hand full collectors on this globe who have an original cotton Graf Spee in their collections. Cotton means: the tally has actually seen this famous ship. The metall and Cellon could have been purchased anywhere - an RZM shop, a canteen somewhere ashore, or god knows where.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Cannon of the ship Admiral Graf Spee

Many years ago I bought this piece in Montevideo.
                I was assured that it was a piece taken from the ship during the stay of the same in the port.
                what do you think?

Comment

I am not sure if it was aboard the ship at the time of its stay in Montevideo, but who knows today? Due to the workmanship, I do think there is a high probability of it being either (1) made aboard that ship in the machine shop or (2) made by one of the sailors interned in Uruguay (they were all wounded during the battle, the uninjured were interned in Argentina) and made for sale sometime 1940-1945.

It is extremely well made IMO, but without more of the story very hard to do anything right now but speculate, so I speculate it was made by a very talented sailor from Graf Spee.

John

Comment

True John impossible to know the truth

Comment

Very well made
                      You could have the brass tested which would give you an idea of age
                      Must bullion dealer have a gun for testing metal composition
                      Did they have casting facilities aboard ship?

Comment

On the boats there is a workshop to make pieces of all kinds.
                        This is another model (belongs to the KM-Spain collector)

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                          Very well made
                          You could have the brass tested which would give you an idea of age
                          Must bullion dealer have a gun for testing metal composition
                          Did they have casting facilities aboard ship?
                          i dont think a warship would have casting facilities onboard it is probably made onshore

Comment

Did the Kriegsmarine have their own flying service?

I wonder if there is any pictures of the Kriegsmarine flying service pilot. I've seen lots of pictures of the Ar196 seaplane but I can't find any picture of its pilot.

Thanks in advance
                            Kan

Comment

As far as i am aware all pilots allocated to Kgm. were from the Luftwaffe.

Comment

Yes they did, until 1935 or so then all absorbed into LW. However, the pilots were given a choice of staying in the KM or not and many became U-boat officers.

Here is a badge of one of these but a number of KM U-boat aces were first marinefliegers before shifting to U-boat arm. Normally observers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineflieger
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X