Sorry but this is all I have
      Steve
      Attached Files

Comment

last

last one
        Attached Files

Comment

Lettering and woven pattern seems correct for me, but is impossible to be sure from these trembling pictures.

Comment

Hard to say from these but it is trying to be a gold wire example. This is a cotton Blucher from the same era.
            Attached Files

Comment

Basically, I do not like it just from those images. Graf Spee cannot be cellon, must be gold wire or cotton. It does not really look like either to me.

From my collection, attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, more I look at it the more it is possible it is gold wire, mint I guess. John

Comment

Mine is from a cap worn by a GS sailor in Uruguay after the battle. So it is tobacco stained and probably shrunk a bit from when new, so it will not line up exactly with a mint example.

Need better images I think, but it looks close.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you

Thank you R.R and John
                      Your opinions mean a lot to me and I appreciate your expertise. I am very sorry for the bad photos but that is all I have. I will post better photos hopefully in the near future as they become available.

Thank you very much
                      Steve Mezey

Comment

Must admit I also have some problems with the tally.

The very yellow color on the obverse ususally means trouble aka fake. It's when one look at the reverse that the doubt sets in because that looks like a good one....?! To be that yellow it should be cotton imo but can't really place it.

Here's a couple of photos of a fake to compare.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good evening,

I strongly tend to the opinion of having an original cotton (Kunstseide) example in front of us. I must admit it is not more than an educated guess.
                          OK, what makes me thinking this: the photos were taken with the flash on - this lets the letters appear "shiny", almost like a cellon, while John's Blücher, I guess, is a scan. A cellon of the Spee has never emerged anywhere and it can be assumed there was never one existant. A cellon would also appear "untidyer" on the reverse (the loops above and below the letters longer and twisted).
                          I do not think it is metall. If it would be, the letters of such a mint, clean and unfaded tally would shine like the Queens polished crown.
                          A question out of curiosity: how long is the tally?

Rgds

Daniel

P. S. : the photos seem also a little unfocused, correct? If so, a flash photo let the bright yellow shine very unreal.

Comment

Well, I kind of feel like I'm not yet qualified to comment, but look at the little "tuft" of thread after the second e in post number 5. I noticed the same kind of thing on the back of my two cotton tallys that I recently posted.

Comment

Thank you Frank,Daniel, and Steve

Thanks guys I appreciate your posts. As I do not have the talley in hand I do not know the length and yes Frank and Daniel I believe the owner took these photos with the flash on indoors. I have requested better photos but he is out of country for a few weeks time. I will post more photos when time permits and hopefully this talley will turn out to be a good one? I think it stands a good chance as all the other items seem to have been deemed good pieces.

Thanks again
                              Steve

Comment

more photos

Hi All
                                The owner of this Talley has graced me with a few more photos, still not the best but maybe a little better
                                Opinions welcome
                                Thanks
                                Steve
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X