Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidered Breast Eagle

Hi Guys,
    Help with this one would be much appreciated, note the last image with the small metal eyes sewn in

Regards

jager100
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Guys,
      any ideas ?

Regards

jager100

Comment

Hello,

I have never cared for this style of eagle. I really do not like the nonstandard highlighting at all.

Fred

Comment

Original in my opinion.

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=344867&page=8

Page 8, Posts 105-108 I just picked up an embroidered eagle in this style in DAK colors. I believe none of these.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=344867&page=8

Page 8, Posts 105-108 I just picked up an embroidered eagle in this style in DAK colors. I believe none of these.

Fred
              Hi Fred,

Here's the more direct link to your post mentioned above.
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...19#post5450719

But what about our discussion last year centered around the photographs of this design in wear?
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...73#post7313373

Makes it more complicated?

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm,

I pick up embroidered DAK/Tropical breast eagles when ever I can. I have never seen an embroidered Heer DAK Breast eagle that I believe is original. A couple of weeks ago I picked one up of this pattern.

I believe that this style of eagle is an old reproduction. I don't like the eagle that started this thread, 1.) because it is this pattern and 2.) because the application of the bullion work is horrendous . Period highlighting in not done in this manner in my opinion.

I am working on the road at the moment and don't have the DAK eagle in hand. This weekend when I get home I will post it.

Fred

Comment

Here is an original period Portrait I have showing this type of eagle in wear.

Regards, Jim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

The eagle is similar but not the same style. The eagle in the photo doesn't have the big ass as the "Reddick" eagle. This photo isn't close enough to see the stitching or the embroidery patterns.

Fred

Comment

Looks the same to me. I'm sorry I took the photo with my phone. However in the white cirkel you can clearly see the top stitching on the wing, similiar as in the eagle shown in this topic (below the later added gilt, however this might have been done by a soldier himself)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

As I said earlier the photograph is not close enough/ clear enough to show all the stitching. You can see that this eagle has spaces between it's wings and the eagle that started this thread does not. IMHO they are not the same eagle and the eagle that Started this thread is a "Reddick" reproduction.

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred,

Here's the comparison of the eagle from the opening post and the period photo showing a pretty good match within the limitations of the photo quality. If this isn't an original then what is? Do you have an example?

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Can you see the gap between the wings in the eagle that was originally posted? No.

Can you see a clear gap between the wings of the eagle in the picture? Yes.

The photo eagle does not appear to have any chest highlights or other highlights. If he had highlights the gap between the wings would be full. Even without highlights these "Reddick" eagles do not have a gap between the wing. I will post the DAK eagle in this style that I mentioned above. I do not believe it either.

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred,

I'm not quite clear on the terminology we're using. By "gap between the wings" are your referring to the linear machine-sewn grooves between the wing feathers? And by "highlights" do you mean the superimposed metal threads oversewn into these grooves (which of course are not in the period portrait).

Anyway, as said the limited quality of the period photo limits our understanding of the depths of the grooves between the wing feathers, so there's only so far we can go in comparing to the eagle in question.

That's why I was hoping you could post what you consider to be the genuine eagle of this design so that we could compare to that?

Best regards,
                              ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X