No announcement yet.

to confirm eagle insignia please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info. i'll take mine to the next Dallas gun/militaria show and see what assessment I get from the collectors/dealers there...and, i'll see how they represent any eagles of this type that they may have at their tables.....will ya'll know the outcome.

seems like the key and most obvious clue is the cross hatching, so i'll zero in on that.

Comment

Hello,

It is not just the crosshatching. It is how the body of the eagle almost represents a triangle in shape. It keeps flairing out all the way to the base of the wings. Most early eagles of the period were portrayed with a much slimmer body style. It is seen in BeVo weave construction eagles, machine embroidered eagles, and hand embroidered eagles.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
        Hello Jean-Claude,

The eagle you have posted is not a "BIG ASS" variety. To is a very nice private purchase enlisted man's breast eagle. Your eagle has a mid sized body. Notice the verticle arraingement of the thread of the chest. If you look at the eagles I have posted the chest is cross-hatched. The body almost looks like a triangle.

Fred
        Thanks Fred: great news!

I see what you mean now but other than the black/brass enhancement it looked like the same bird to me. Not that I mortgaged the house when I got it way back when (original price sticker still on the back) and it wouldnt have been the first item that winded up being junk in my collection from the old days! We sure didnt have access to the good references or knowledgeable sources we have here back then.

Luckily I just transferred it to my junk box when I first read your post about these on the KM breast eagle thread but it will take back its spot my KM small bird family tonight

Best regards

JC

Comment

Hello Jean-Claude,

I thought I was purchasing eagles like you posted ,without the highlights, when I purchased these reproduction eagles.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
            Hello Jean-Claude,

I thought I was purchasing eagles like you posted ,without the highlights, when I purchased these reproduction eagles.

Fred
            Well, if mine is good then this one (with enhancements) should be good too. To me the only difference with mine is it doesnt have the brass wire and its uniform removed but looks in good shape. Its currently for sale on a dealer site so let me know if you're interested, I'll send you a PM

JC
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jean-Claude,

Thank you but I am looking for the Heer version of ths eagle.

Fred

Comment

Hi Jean Claude,

I have this exact eagle (2nd one you posted) .Nice original.

Comment

Hello,

Here is the picture off of Reddick's site : http://www.reddickmilitaria.com/imag...05-325-106.jpg
                  They no longer ship this style of eagle. It is a totally different pattern now.

Here is the add: http://www.reddickmilitaria.com/ww2-...e-embroidered/
                  I was incorrect in the price. It was $6.00 The dealers that sold these at the SOS made from $20.-$40. per eagle reselling them, that is if they didn't get a deal on a bulk purchase, and then they would have made more.

Fred

Comment

Here's a mystery. I just discovered this photo posted by "isaluke" in 2012.

It appears to show this eagle that is believed to be a fake in wear? So is this portrait a fake or is there an original type upon which the fake is based?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I have been discussing this same eagle with a member of a German forum. He has a few period photos of what appears to be the eagle that the Reddick eagle is based on.

I picked up an eagle this month that is the same style but highlighted with black thread. It is just slightly smaller and on the back you can see the construction differences. I will post them below.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I also was given an eagle in a deal this last week. It looked like a typical Reddick piece. On the front were some minor differences but the back, imho, they were identical. The seller said that the eagle came back with his father from the war. The top one is the one given to me, the bottom the Reddick eagle.
                        Attached Files

Comment

To me it appeared to be a Reddick eagle.

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred,

So no conclusions yet at this point I guess? The one you posted with the black thread is interesting but the "period" photo does not have that stitching across the inner feathers.

I see three scenarios:

1) They're all wartime and Reddick acquired a large unused hoard (seems unlikely)
                            2) They're all post-war and the photos are stories are a hoax.
                            3) There are wartime examples in photos and in collections that are indistinguishable from the Reddick reproductions.

If the third scenario is true, then it has huge implications for all cloth collectors since never before have we seen the evidence for such precise duplication.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

Comment

3) There are wartime examples in photos and in collections that are indistinguishable from the Reddick reproductions.

If the third scenario is true, then it has huge implications for all cloth collectors since never before have we seen the evidence for such precise duplication.

Hello Norm,

The eagle in the photo posted by you brings me to believe the above might be true. So far as I have seen , this is the clearest shot of one of these styles of eagles. This is the most plausible explanation. I cannot say indistinguishable but very, very close.

As you said it will have huge implications for cloth collectors.

Fred

Comment

Hi All,

I recently picked up a studio portrait (originally from a studio in Kiel) of a coastal artillery soldier. He has a very similar eagle to the one being discussed on his tunic. I am posting the pictures here to help the discussion along. The detail is not crystal clear, but I think it is good enough to illustrate the main points of the construction. The close-up was scanned at 1200dpi

All the best,

Mark
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X