KM metal breast eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some new summer birds to wallpaper my den

First a nice cloth mounted anodized aluminum Assmann like some previously posted here. This one is not "news" but the interesting thing about this bird is that all the specimens posted here seem to have the same flattened middle talons...

JC
    Attached Files

Comment

This set seems to come from the same maker. The gold specimen is identical to the one posted by Tim in post 18. The silver one which has slightly sharper detail (earlier?) than the gold one and appears to be made of cupal with the catch & hinge mounted on plates similar to the matched cupal set posted in post 68

JC
      Attached Files

Comment

And here are the backs of the 3 eagles from the previous thread. First the 2 polished/plated birds and then the silver painted one. Same identical mounting system and strike detail down to the same slightlly difformed wreath which is more apparent on the back of the 3 birds
        Attached Files

Comment

Last boring thread fom me (I promise) then I'll move on & start collecting uniform buttons or something...

The 3 following recent birds pictured below are nothing special (other then they dont appear here yet) but are interesting inasmuch as they seem to support what you see in period catalogs that some stuff was available in different grades/qualities.

The 3 birds come from the same die (although with different wear) and have the same mounting system. All 3 also appear to be zink (as best as I can judge) The 2 in the first picture are a set with what appears to be a plated finish while the silver specimen in the second picture is just silver painted (but has the best detail of the 3 IMO).

Ive shown the backs for this trio in the following thread below

Regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
            Last boring thread fom me (I promise) then I'll move on & start collecting uniform buttons or something...
            Hi JC,

Far from boring! I don't comment enough because I don't study these birds in detail but you have a fantastic collection and I find your postings very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi JC,

Far from boring! I don't comment enough because I don't study these birds in detail but you have a fantastic collection and I find your postings very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Thanks Norm!

Actually I'll keep an eye opened for specimens I'd really like to find to complete a few sets (like the elusive silver Schwerin ) that are pending but I should really be "diversifying" a bit if I am to ever get some of the stuff I wanted to find when I got back in the hobby

Take care

JC

Comment

To the top! My two new acquisitions.

Comment

Now, the hunt for a solid back.

Comment

Two nice summer birds Nische

In the family picture, the one at left looks like a nice cupal specimen (judging from the oval plate mounted hardware) with nicer than usual finish and the one at right looks like a tombac/brass specimen of a variant that we usually see in zink with little to no finish so you did good on both counts Solid backs are not so common (as hollow stamped ones) for Heer/KM summer eagles but I have examples of Schwerin, J. C.Maedicke (which are both solid back aluminum birds) and also Assmman (2nd pattern) & RK (Rudolf Karneth) marked eagles and there may be others I havent seen. If I was hunting for a solid back I would look for a Schwerin specimen... Not only is it one of the most beautiful designs but Schwerin was also a well known KM badge maker if you are a KM collector

Best

JC

Comment

Great looking summer birds
                      I made your pictures bigger hope that you don´t mind

Andy

k1.jpg

Comment

2 k2.jpg

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

4 k4.jpg

Comment

5 k5.jpg

Comment

Jean-Claude, thank you so much for your reply and knowledge sharing. The tombac/brass specimen was part of a KM officer tunic that I purchased from the MAX Show a few years back. (attached is a photo of it while on the accompanying uniform). And the Cupal, just purchased from the Collectors Guild. Just something about the patina and hardware set up that caught my eye. Happy that I’ve got two great eagles. I also appreciate the information about solid summer eagles, very helpful.

Finally, thanks Andy for resizing my photos. Much better.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X