• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farradin's reverse shots.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello gents,
      here is one from my reference folder, taken from another web page (don't recall which):
      Attached Files

Comment

My Eagle for reference.

Dimensions Width 94.20mm Height 36.90mm
        Attached Files

Comment

...and just a reminder that Peter's (which is the same as Tim B.'s earlier in the thread) is different from the Assmann eagles posted by amiklic1, Farradin and JayP. So there were two different makers of cloth-backed summer breast eagles. Aside from the different obverse die characteristics we can also see differences in the cut of the cloth around the eagle's head and the type of mounting pins on the back (flat-wire vs. round-wire).

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim B. View Post
            Alot of different maker's on these. I believe the one Rick has shown is in fact original and more commonly seen in silver (Heer). I have seen these in gilt as well from time to time.

Here's a couple of different versions I picked up back around 2005?

So far, I have not see the lower style in gold as of yet, though I could not see why they would not exist.

Tim
            Hi Tim

Just found this thread so sorry for the (very) late response. I just love those summer birds ! To answer your question your second eagle from the top in this post does exist in gold. I have attached a few picts of same eagle variations from my collection

Top one is the gold equivalent to yours and what I consider to be second pattern for this maker its the most common typevariant for this maker . Eagle design for 1st and 2nd pattern is identical but mounting system on second pattern (like yours & my top one) is crimped hardware and second pattern most often made of cupal (thin copper layer on aluminum).

Below is what I beleive to be first pattern version which is less common. Piece is mint and finish is spectacular and looks like fire gilding (with high points polished) on tombac but this is just an assumtion on my part as finish is so new you can make out base metal underneath. However it does weigh 8.5 grams (for a thickness of only 1.08 mm) compared to what I consider to be the second pattern in cupal which weighs 7.8 grams (for a thickness of 2.12 mm). Note the welded harware and the very long lower clasp on what I call the 1st type. Interesting to see they used the same hinge on both but its welded on the earlier type instead of crimped. They also lost the mirror image of the swaz on the reverse of the second type because they had to add metal to allow for the crimping of the lower clasp

I'm also including a front only pict of a minty specimen 2nd pattern in silver the same as yours Fascinating stuff!

Regards

JC

Second type in gold....
            Attached Files

Comment

And what I beleive to be the first type for this same maker. I have seen a few of these over years in gold but never in silver so far

JC
              Attached Files

Comment

And the mint 2nd type in silver

JC
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  ...and just a reminder that Peter's (which is the same as Tim B.'s earlier in the thread) is different from the Assmann eagles posted by amiklic1, Farradin and JayP. So there were two different makers of cloth-backed summer breast eagles. Aside from the different obverse die characteristics we can also see differences in the cut of the cloth around the eagle's head and the type of mounting pins on the back (flat-wire vs. round-wire).

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Hi Norm,

Also interesting to note that both these cloth mounted metal eagles can be linked to "regular" pinback versions from (what appear to be) the same makers even though the metal used for the pinbacks is probably different (both cloth mounted pieces seem to be in anodized aluminum). The later metal version of the Assman is a heavy/massive solid back zink piece with "A" (Assmann) mark and the pinback using the same die/design as Pete's is cupal (gold and silver set shown)

Regards

JC
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi JC,

Thanks for those additions to the reference thread.
                    Could you please also show the reverses of those three eagles?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

No problem Norm

Here is the back picture of the late style massive pinback Assmann in what looks to me as zink. If memory serves me right, there is also a tombac (?) hollow back version of the same bird in addition to the cloth mounted version discussed in this thread but I dont think the hollow back version is marked

JC
                      Attached Files

Comment

And here are the back pictures of the pinback gold & silver versions of the eagles that match Peter's cloth mounted version. First gold and then silver

JC
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, JC. On the two in the last post, is the head of the hinge pin flat or domed? And is the round-wire catch "c"-shaped or "question mark"-shaped?

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

Happy to see new additions and some life coming back to this thread!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                              Thanks, JC. On the two in the last post, is the head of the hinge pin flat or domed? And is the round-wire catch "c"-shaped or "question mark"-shaped?

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Bonsoir Norm

Sorry not too good with camera I'm afraid so this is my best angle picture for now of the gold one but both silver & gold birds are identical...

1) The head of the hinge pin is domed like on my Schwerin summer birds but the pin is inserted upside down so domed hinge pin head is at the bottom intead of at the top

2) Round wire catch is "C" shaped and welded onto elongated oval plate like the hinge is but flat stock lower catch is welded directly onto back of eagle

Hope this helps

Best regards

JC
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim B. View Post
                                Happy to see new additions and some life coming back to this thread!

Tim
                                I've been posting mine in the KM birds thread but I didnt know about this one. Since I have so few I dont mind repeating myself Here are a few more

Schwerin in gold anodized aluminum with massive pin. Top one is marked (Schwerin Berlin 68) and bottom one is unmarked but the family look is obvious
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X