This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Tallies, opinions thanks

Have studied the tally thread hard and believe these are good but some opinions would be nice, thanks.
    Attached Files

Comment

and reverse:
      Attached Files

Comment

Frank they look like fine examples to me

Comment

I also think these are good examples.
          The one in block letters isn't Kriegsmarine though.

Good job,
          JustinG

Comment

Thanks guys, nice to know

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
            The one in block letters isn't Kriegsmarine though.

Good job,
            JustinG
            Justin, what is it then? Imperial, BM, DDR or.....? The full text is: II.A.SCHIFFSSTAMMDIVISION DER OSTSEE.II.A

It also raises another question. Are all period tallies made with gothic lettering only?

Comment

I believe that the block letter tally is RM period.

MarineHJ and John Robinson did a great job discussing the various types. Although, this thread is still in it's infancy and I hope to get more people to participate and show some of their examples. (page 7-8 on this thread)

The Kriegsmarine did and only used the gothic lettering but as John Robinson pointed out that the early Bundesmarine also used the gothic script early on so it is important to be aware of that fact.
              As stated before, earlier on.

Best of luck.

Regards,
              JustinG
              Last edited by JustinG; 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

A rule of thumb for TR tallies using gothic script is to look at the "LONG S" If it exists on the tally then it is a fair sign that the Tally is TR, there are examples of the Gothic script being used where the "S" is just a standard "S" and not the long "S". This denotes that its the period shortly after the TR period as fore mentioned. Not saying this a definate but John or Danni maybe able to elaborate...

P.s - The only rule with the long S is that is is never at the end of a word, it will only be long if contained within the word, except for the Kriegsmarine, that has a normal S. In the posted pic below you can see that the "S" in Schlachtschiff Gneisenau are all standard but on the above Schlachtschiff Scharnhorst you can see that all the long S are in use except for first Capital "S"... Now does this mean that the Gneisenau is post TR? May come down to service, although it was sunk....
                "Gneisenau ended the war as a blockship, sunk in the Gotenhafen harbor on 23 March 1945. She was raised by the Polish, broken up, and scrapped after the war............opinions??
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Also, here are the latest installments to my collection for your review...
                  Attached Files

Comment

BRAINDEAD!!! too early in the morning for me... OK Its a double FF at the end of ship... So back to no Long S on the end of any word and standard S only used on the end of a word. So for example Kriegsmarine would be 2 syllables - Kriegs Marine, in this instance the s would be small because its the last letter of the word. I guess this is closer to explaining it.....?
                    Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
                      Thanks guys, nice to know

Justin, what is it then? Imperial, BM, DDR or.....? The full text is: II.A.SCHIFFSSTAMMDIVISION DER OSTSEE.II.A

It also raises another question. Are all period tallies made with gothic lettering only?
                      It is Reichsmarine. All KM are gothic if you are talking about the TR period.

John

Comment

Nice tallies there Justin C.
                        (Trance Eyes)

Great finds. Love the Kreuzer tallies.

I just got the Leipzig and two Destroyers the Richard Beitzen and the Hermann Schoemann.

Regards,
                        JustinG.
                        Last edited by JustinG; 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Some new ones
                          The Leipzig, Richard Beitzen, and Hermann Schoemann
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back of Leipzig.
                            Attached Files

Comment

the collections are growing gentlemen ~ congrats !

Justin are the three showing their time - greenish tones now or just the darkness of the photography ? Metall faden ?

Comment

BTW - A little note on the very top Tally - "Marinetag Berlin, extremely rare tally, which was sold on the Navyday 1926 in Berlin, souvenirs like this tally was supposed to promote a friendly attitude towards the Navy within the population, money raised from souvenirs sales on Navydays was donated to the “Panzerschiff” project, I know only one more example of the Berlin tally (which is also in my collection). Navy day tally were made only in very small amounts as at the end of the day there should be none left. Navy days were held every year in a different town"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X