This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricardo,
    Most of my collector friends used exactly your method of storage.
    Without question, in my opinion this is the most safe version to secure the tallies from any influence (e.g. oxidation, UV-light, etc.).

The biggest disadvantage is, you need to put them out to “admire” these beauties.
    Here are the SMS Koenig and the SMS Grosser Kurfuerst of the Koenig-class.

IMO, basically it’s not that much difficult to get one of these tallies since these were huge units (e.g. compare to small torpedo boats, engine tender, etc.
    BR, Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

...SMS Kronprinz

(Sorry, no Markgraf tally yet)

BR, Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Chris, That is a wonderful display idea and really turns out nice.
        Moisture and humidity can also play havoc even for your really spectacular binder with your collection.
        I am very envious of the Luftschiff tally.
        Very nice wolf tallies as well. It looks great with the display you have and like you stated; there is no surefire proof that this kind of example could have been worn by either crew of either ship.

I love how you found a photo of the ship and an example of wear. Tell me, are all the photos in the book period pieces like the photo postcards, the studio portraits or are some copies of originals that you have chosen to display with your magnificent tally collection?

This is a wonderful way to display to protect from UV rays and sunlight. tell me how you combat the moisture and possible humidity issues?

@ Ricardo: Very interesting how you roll your tallies. Thank you for showing a diagram for how you prep these.

I am worried about the food preservation film you are using as it can sometimes leach chemicals that could affect the cloth, possibly stain/tarnish the thread, especially on metalfaden versions.

There are other more experienced collectors like Bernd W who will use acid free pouches and loosely place in these packets, and do not believe in the film canister because there has been no proof that film canisters don't leach/off gas destructive to the delicate fabric and thread.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones; being in Alaska, we are dry (very low humidity, many houses are 2 story with a sub-basement, my collection is kept in that sub basement room, sunlight really is an issue only in the summer but with a sub basement and lots of nice trees to shield the direct sunlight from the windows down there, I consider myself quite fortunate not to have the pests that we all know can wreck havoc on any thread, cloth item (Moths, Silverfish, etc...) In Alaska, we don't have them.
        To each their own.
        Really great to see your collection and a unique way of displaying your collection. BTW. What is the dimension of your book? I am curious as to the length as you are well aware; some of those long-winded titles can get pretty spacious and make a 110cm-150cm tally seem like there is not enough space for the title name of the school, unit, or command.

Regards,
        JustinG

Here's a shot of my most rare piece in my collection:
        I haven't met another collector who has this one:
        Attached Files

Comment

Justin,
          My folder-„book“ is sized A 3 (297mm x 420mm or approx. 11.69 x 16.54 inch) and indeed, sometimes the length of a tally makes it difficult to display. But in this case, I’m putting it diagonally on the paper.
          The folders are stored in a dark and dry place / cupboard with an air dehumidifier. The sailor portraits and the ships postcards are mixed. I’m not focusing on any “real” photos (this would kill me from cost point of view). Most of my photos from the sailors are taken from the cap tally book, published from Bernd and Markus.
          BTW, a very nice tally!
          BR, Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing the details on this. Looks like a really strong contender for how I can display my tallies.
            I too have a collection that amounts to 200+ tallies. The Wall space to display would be overwhelming.

I too think when the time comes for me to decide on display method, that I will probably use copies of originals postcard/photos as well.

This gives me a fantastic idea and an option I had not considered. I like how you have secured them with stitching.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards,
            JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
              I too have a collection that amounts to 200+ tallies. The Wall space to display would be overwhelming.
              Well, there is a good solution on it: buy a bigger house with more walls

I like how you have secured them with stitching.
              That causes me sleepless nights, for sure! I thought about several ideas: cutting out holes in the paper and lead the tallies through (which I didn't due to sharp edges in the paper holes, which might damage the tallies), bend and fix the tallies with paper clip on the paper (which I never tried due to any pressure mark on a tally), glueing small paper stripes on the paper and lead the tallies through (which I didn't try because of any acid vapours of the glue).

Someday, I woke up in the morning and prepared for leaving the house. I took my pants on and used my belt on it. Suddenly, I had this idea, stitching a yarn and put the tallies inbetween - like a belt in a pants.

BR, Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you for showing your König Class tallies. Seems to me your Kronprinz tally is from the 1866 ironclad Kronprinz, there is a manner to distinguish it from the 1911 battleship tally? Unfortunatelly you don't have the Markgraf tally, is just for it I have my main interest, but may be someday I'll find it or another tally from Köenig Class. I agree with you, to make copies from pictures is so much less expensive if your interest is only to illustrate your tally collection. Please, continue showing us your beauties.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hi Ricardo,

I'm happy to serve you - just let me know, what you'll like to see

Here we have the same case: one name, two ships. The iron clad Kronprinz and the battleship Kronprinz.

You may know, that the line ship Kronprinz was re-named in Kronprinz Wilhelm in June 1918.

Again, here you have the same "problem": one name, two ships:
                  the above mentioned line ship and the in April 1915 interned aux. cruiser Kronprinz Wilhelm...

BR, Chris
                  Attached Files

Comment

@ Ricardo: Very interesting how you roll your tallies. Thank you for showing a diagram for how you prep these.

I am worried about the food preservation film you are using as it can sometimes leach chemicals that could affect the cloth, possibly stain/tarnish the thread, especially on metalfaden versions.
                    Hi Justin,

Seems to me there is no acid or other chemicals in this food film, because I think if there is it will affect food too. But I agree with you, allways there is a risk during a long time storage. I'm conscious it's a experimental method and times to times I make a inspection to see if there is some damage occuring in tallies. I think too it don't will damage thread or metalfaden, because it don't touch it. The only think touching the letters in my method is the cellophane, and I think it's innofensive to the tally, because I frequently see some german collar tabs wraped in cellophane since WWII without damages.

There are other more experienced collectors like Bernd W who will use acid free pouches and loosely place in these packets, and do not believe in the film canister because there has been no proof that film canisters don't leach/off gas destructive to the delicate fabric and thread.

I think you're talking about something like the Ziploc bags, my only restriction about this method is because it will cause some markings at the ribbon folding edges in a long time storage, I prefer to roll the tallies to avoid it. I agree, there is no proof if film canisters are gas safe for the tallies, we need to remmember film is storaged into it wraped in a methalic paper. But I think there is some experienced collectors storaging tallies in this cannisters for long times ago. I remmember the 1st time I saw tallies storaged in film cannister was 2 or 3 years ago in this forum from a great international tally collector.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones; being in Alaska, we are dry (very low humidity, many houses are 2 story with a sub-basement, my collection is kept in that sub basement room, sunlight really is an issue only in the summer but with a sub basement and lots of nice trees to shield the direct sunlight from the windows down there, I consider myself quite fortunate not to have the pests that we all know can wreck havoc on any thread, cloth item (Moths, Silverfish, etc...) In Alaska, we don't have them.
                    To each their own.
                    No doubts you're soo lucky to collect it in Alaska. Here in Rio de Janeiro, I have all these pests, high ambiental humidity and sunlight in all seasons for all the home. There is no way to show my tallies safely in a external display.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hi Chris,

My interest for the König class tallies is because I have a Markgraf model to make and I think to display it sometimes with a Markgraf tally.

But there is some models from the others König class too and If I find a tally from another König ship, I can make another ship.

Here is my temporary U-96 display with a KM tally and some others related stuff:

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

...for storage and discussion about the photo film box have a look at the interesting thread
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ly#post3326598

Post by Junker47 (e.g. post-no. 180 and 184).

BR, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gensui View Post
                          ...for storage and discussion about the photo film box have a look at the interesting thread
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ly#post3326598

Post by Junker47 (e.g. post-no. 180 and 184).

BR, Chris
                          Hi Chris,

Yes, I remmember very well this discussion and John Robison's position influenced me soo much in my storage method choice. I think there is soo much to say about the preservation methods and each case needs a individual solution. I think too talies are fragiles and determinateds conditions as sun light, moisture and poluition are very dangerous for it. Some questions about what is the best preservation method, film canisters, pergament packs, ziplock packs or others including display methods, continues without a definitive answer and we can only speculate about them.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Here's a shot of my most rare piece in my collection:
                            I haven't met another collector who has this one:
                            JustinG,

see images below. The Wassner image is a teaser for you - remember what trade I suggested.
                            Images were taken from the same collection as the Luetzow tally. The Erprobungskdo image is a bit weird since the tally was mounted vertically in the frame and I turned it in photoshop.

I have queried another collector to give me permission to post here images of his Erprobungskdo cap (remnants). Will post if I get permission. No question, the Erprobungskdo is the rarest, together with the KM "1. Unterseebootsflottille 1.", no question.

There's another extremely rare tally for sale on TobyR's website (and now here on estand): a cotton "Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine". As we can see at the reverse shot, definately a good one. Fair price if you ask me, although worn example.

Rgds

Daniel
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Daniel, Chris, Justin(C) and (G) and others,

How many KM and Imperial tallies are kneew? Now I have a relation with about 400 diferents KM tallies, but times to times I found some new names I don't have in my relation.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

My favorite tally from those days in my collection.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by John R.; 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X