X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what cannisters...

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
    In regards to tally storage, while Bernd's system is probably the best, I see no problem short or long term with the 35mm cannisters...

John
    Of course with today's technology, 35mm cannisters themselves are becoming a collector's item...

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

well took the advice of those present here the tallies are out of the ziplocks and into clear file sleeves archival quality and acid free safe. As John pointed out I see the problem with folds/creases so will have to work that the simplest obviously is to have them mounted flat and smooth under ideal conditions

info and suggestions gladly appreciated as always

Comment

Some of the tallies that I have purchased coming from here in the states or mostly overseas in FedEx or Postal service envelopes come with creases and folds. You never really know what kind of condition they are coming in, I actually got out a piece of acid free parchment paper and got some heavy books and ensured that the tallies were protected and that did seem to do the trick for the most part. There is still the faint looking of a possible crease but it is not too distracting and there is no worn portion that makes the letter stitching more worn or creased.

This has become a wonderful thread. It is really nice to see such an interest in this area of collecting.

Kinda have some mixed feelings, now that there is so many viewers hitting this thread, I feel that tallies may go up in price due to demand and interest rising.

I look forward to sharing my new tallies with the forum.

With regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
          Some of the tallies that I have purchased coming from here in the states or mostly overseas in FedEx or Postal service envelopes come with creases and folds. You never really know what kind of condition they are coming in, I actually got out a piece of acid free parchment paper and got some heavy books and ensured that the tallies were protected and that did seem to do the trick for the most part. There is still the faint looking of a possible crease but it is not too distracting and there is no worn portion that makes the letter stitching more worn or creased.

This has become a wonderful thread. It is really nice to see such an interest in this area of collecting.

Kinda have some mixed feelings, now that there is so many viewers hitting this thread, I feel that tallies may go up in price due to demand and interest rising.

I look forward to sharing my new tallies with the forum.

With regards,
          JustinG
          If it has creases and folds, do not try too hard to remove them. In no case should they be ironed. No matter how carefully, although it is possible to iron. However, the risk is too great that you will overheat the tally and give it a shine. The wrinkles and creases are sort of like patina I guess, comes with the item and you do not want to mess with it. Flattening them is OK I think, I am only talking about never using an iron.

John

Comment

as you have said before John be very very careful, was trying to lightly dabble some water to remove some spotting years ago on one talley and nearly tore an end off, these items obviously over the 60 plus years have become very fragile.

Comment

Bernd explained to me what pergament paper is. It is the same material as the wrapping paper for the individual tallies. Attached is how Bernd stores his tallies in pergament paper.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

ok John but what is the material in equivalent here in the states not a cellophane type is it ? I must say I just did a recheck of my tallies and there is one with the covering paper over the name on the tally but not sure what the material really is

Comment

Originally posted by Hirschstein View Post
                  ok John but what is the material in equivalent here in the states not a cellophane type is it ? I must say I just did a recheck of my tallies and there is one with the covering paper over the name on the tally but not sure what the material really is
                  It looks like the same material used in stamp stores for full sheets. I bet stamp collector supplies would have such a packet.

John

Comment

Ok, I haven't seen the parchment paper in the color gray before.
                    I had a tally with paper over it. here is a post of it.
                    I liked the comparison with stamps. seems like the same care should be taken with tallies as photos, documents and stamps.

Regards,
                    JustinG
                    Attached Files

Comment

My newest ones of this week

I am so very Happy!!!

Regards,
                      JustinG
                      Attached Files

Comment

The backsides.

I know that we have seen some examples of some of these in others collections but, I just got these myself and I wanted to share.

JustinG
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JustinG; 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Justin

a big thumbs up, the collection is growing.

question on the upper pic of the talley with celophane type cover is that a weight or tie over it that runs vertical - white - over the width of the talley ?

E ~

Comment

in the posting, that was the parchment paper that I can assume that John and Bernd meant. It had the 2 A Schiffsammdivision Der Nordsee 2.
                            You can see the minty condition of the tally.
                            Obviously an unissued tally. That piece of white banding paper is just that on the lower one in that post picture. Hope that helps.

Thanks Erich,
                            I am very happy to add these to the collection.

Regards,
                            JustinG
                            Last edited by JustinG; 06-27-2009, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Nice work Justin

That Panzerschiff Deutschland is a looker... Is that in Metal faden?

Comment

My Panzerschiff Deutchland is similar to PantherV example on post #27.

Just got a couple new ones ordered. The tallies posted on posting #12 The Richard Beitzen and the Hermann Schoemann were obtained by a trade with hucks216.

Regards,
                                JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X