• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last pic, thanks.
    Attached Files

Comment

Paul,

The top one is from the TR period. Not that important a tally as many KM personnel were trained on her therefore quite a few of this version out there. Still, it is period.

The last two are post war Bundesmarine. Original, but not from the TR period.

Please keep these images posted as they are very instructive for collectors.

John

Comment

**Thank you very much** John for checking these out ... I'll pass that info onto the owner. He'll be very appreciative of your help.

These images should be 'permanent' as I uploaded them onto the WAF server.

with regards
        Paul

Comment

To Marine HJ (Dani)

I am wondering, Marine HJ (Dani) We have seen your examples of the SMS Emden and such. Any shots to show some more of your collection?

Your comments have been helpful on this post, I know that I am very curious to see your collection.
          I am also curious how you have yours displayed.

Cheers and regards,
          JustinG.

Comment

Dani is not available due to work for some time to come. He does not display all his tallies for various reasons but will at some point in the future.

We both use 35mm film cannisters for storage of tallies not on display--you can get them for free at the drug store if you ask in the film department. Roll the tally up on a pencil, reverse side to the inside, and put it in. I put a number on the top which references to my master list. I collect tallies from all over the world and not just KM for example.

Looks something like this in part. Yes, not pretty, but it protects the tallies quite well.

You may not have room or means to display them or other reasons (like too many), so this is as good a way to keep them as I can think of. Idea came from Dani.

In my case, they are in a permanent temperature controlled area for safe keeping.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

Thats a great idea John, as I am unable to display my tallies I am concerned that folding them will possibly damage the script. I will now endevour to get my hands on some of these and store accordingly.
              Also soon I will have professional Pics of my collecting as a friend who works at the local TV station will be bringing all his camera's and lighting around to do a proper shoot of my parade uniform and extras.. stay tuned!!
              Would be great to see dani's collection from what he has told me in correspondance it sounds very extensive!!

Comment

A US Coast Guard tally?

What countries/time period of tallies do you collect John?

Do you by chance have a US Coast Guard tally that is original?

I am hoping to get one of these tallies and would like to see a reverse to see the stiching pattern.

If you can help, please post here.

Thanks,
                Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

Very nice,
                  It is something nice when we have items that have a special meaning (a family connection)..... Very nice.

I have some two french tallies and one british tally as well as a union jack from the H.M.S Ariadne. My father had traded some Major league Baseball caps when he was in the US Navy. I will post some pictures later.

Regards,
                  JustinG.

Comment

talley question

Hello,
                    I have a talley question;the U-Boat school talley in particular.
                    Years ago an ex-u-Boat survivor told me that the school talley(u-boat school version)was required to be " turned in"at the completion of the training.
                    If so-would'nt it be one of the more unique talleys as probably it would have been reissued and worn by multiple trainees?
                    I don't think that particular talley would have "gone home" with every trainee at course's conclusion if required to be turned in-or am I mistaken?
                    This is a very interesting posting....
                    J.v.C.

Comment

Good question, but I believe the offical tally would be cellon and maybe that was turned in. I doubt it but maybe. The gold wire would be private purchase and not turned in but kept as a keepsake from that assignment. They could have bought as many of these as they wanted. In fact, in the KM, any sailor could buy any tally even if not assigned to that unit. They just needed to prove they were in the Navy. Not like getting a badge where they had to prove they earned it.

This school tally is not a rare tally from watching them for sale for many years.

All tallies were supposed to have been turned in from all units after the war started, but they were not. Why? Since multiple tallies were bought, sent home, kept since they bought them with their own money, etc.

This rule existed, but I think they had other things to think about and I also do not think another sailor wanted somebody elses old dirty tally although they can be washed. (Do not try it today).

The only determination if a tally is rare or not is how long the organization that issued the tally was in existance and the total number of sailors that could have been assigned to that unit.

Just a numbers issue. Naturally, some collectors think if it says anything with U-boot it is rare and that takes away a number of tallies, but not everything that says U-boot on it is rare.

The rarest tallies do not say U-boot on it anywhere but are obscure little units that only existed for a few months.

Do not ask, I do not have that entire list--only a research of the organization and history of the KM can reveal this and this is not the purpose of this thread.

John

Comment

All this said, no tally is falling out of trees.

John

Comment

I love that ending John :

"Do not ask, I do not have that entire list--only a research of the organization and history of the KM can reveal this and this is not the purpose of this thread."

(to avoid the inevitable questions)

My answer is the rarest tally is the one that you are specifically looking for, to add to your collection.

Regards,
                          JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
                            I love that ending John :

"Do not ask, I do not have that entire list--only a research of the organization and history of the KM can reveal this and this is not the purpose of this thread."

(to avoid the inevitable questions)

My answer is the rarest tally is the one that you are specifically looking for, to add to your collection.

Regards,
                            JustinG
                            My rarest Tally is for the moment is Scharnhorst. Somebody open for buisness?
                            Full length please.

Regards

Svante

Comment

Some new ones on the way,

Zerstörer Max Schulz,
                              Panzerschiff Deutschland,Kreuzer Königsberg
                              Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer

Will post pics later.

Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                                Dani is not available due to work for some time to come. He does not display all his tallies for various reasons but will at some point in the future.

We both use 35mm film cannisters for storage of tallies not on display--you can get them for free at the drug store if you ask in the film department. Roll the tally up on a pencil, reverse side to the inside, and put it in. I put a number on the top which references to my master list. I collect tallies from all over the world and not just KM for example.

Looks something like this in part. Yes, not pretty, but it protects the tallies quite well.

You may not have room or means to display them or other reasons (like too many), so this is as good a way to keep them as I can think of. Idea came from Dani.

In my case, they are in a permanent temperature controlled area for safe keeping.

John
                                The tallies can be kept short term in such a way. On a long-term I have doubts, because in plastics chemicals are set free, which harm silk or cotton.
                                Bernd W.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X