My new M36 jacket - never cleaned original find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kapitein View Post
    Funny that oddities or unregular but proven to have existed items or uniforms are always shot down on this forum... Without being hand inspected 1st by the critisizers if original or not. When any doubt arises you get burned on WAF. This is why many collectors do not show on WAF what they have in their collection....
    Why not have a more open mind?
    Thats because of the many fakes that are sitting in these collections you mention. Something like this only encourages the fakers. This hobby is not for the open minded. Unless you want alot of fakes in your collection.

I would have left an original untouched tunic as is.....Thats what Nick wants though & thats cool.
    Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 06-28-2016, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Agree on that
      "For me an easy explanation would do: A Obergefreiter with money had let made himself a nice tunic to impress his girlfriend. No CCC, no OA, no KC, no warrior....just a vain soldier."

The story is a bit wannabee maybe but the jacket is still nice !
      Although the soldier had money and could well be officer material...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
        Thats because of the many fakes that are sitting in these collections you mention. Something like this only encourages the fakers. This hobby is not for the open minded. Unless you want alot of fakes in your collection.

I would have left an original untouched tunic as is.....Thats what Nick wants though & thats cool.
        True and agreed upon but most of the fakes I see are standard issue items sometimes even embellished with extra insignia to make them rare .

So why fake an odity like this tunic? Less collectible and cumbersome to sell... Thats what I ment with an open mind; original or not.

Comment

The loops holding the ccc are too close so the ribbonbar should go there and an infantry badge or wound badge should sufface on the pocket.
          My 2 cents.

Comment

I agree medal-wise less is more in most cases...but I didn't add any medal loops! and regarding the insignia: the added "OA" candidate loops is not over the top.
            Done to make it a "more palatable" (more believable) uniform combination these Cadet loops...which could have been on it. Who knows? (and its not like its a permanent thing)

It's just that such a fancy uniform was right off the bat attacked... immediately shot down by the "big guns" in uniform collecting as being an unlikely combination...
            so incorrectly restored from an officer base uniform (post war for a play or something), resulting in mockery, unicorns, Croatian trees growing uniforms to be harvested etc...
            All this silliness abruptly stopped when the "enlisted" buckle wear was shown!
            I was able to prove with out a doubt that it was born as an "enlisted use" uniform thanks to the buckle wear, so that is now indisputable...now on the permanent record.
            The uniform and its reputation saved from doom! Who knows how many uniforms have been taken apart because of inaccurate opinions by the self proclaimed "experts"...
            Yes be more open minded! Agreed!

Btw member Afrikasandman actually did something similar on his Panzergrenadier farbe NCO "Officer Candidate" uniform cut in an officers style with French cuffs etc...See photo!
            He added the Officer candidate shoulderboards...No doubt for the same reason. Fancy uniform with French cuffs. (and it looks cool!)
            Thanks for the input!

I am happy with it and the ccc (a repro) actually belongs on another uniform! Gone now!
            Thanks! Moving on!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 06-28-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I do so love this kind of thread...

Don

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                Your powers of reason and deduction are right up there with Nick's and formed in such a short period of time, true genius. J
                I've been around a lot longer than you think... And yeah you clearly do not know what you are talking about and ride your other buddy's coat tails before commenting. Go away already your opinion is clearly not needed or welcome because this is the 2nd uniform I have seen you knock down for no reason at all. I get it, I really do... You are Peanut Butter and Jealous

Comment

Originally posted by BlaineLeamon87 View Post
                  I've been around a lot longer than you think... And yeah you clearly do not know what you are talking about and ride your other buddy's coat tails before commenting. Go away already your opinion is clearly not needed or welcome because this is the 2nd uniform I have seen you knock down for no reason at all. I get it, I really do... You are Peanut Butter and Jealous
                  Two and you see a trend, as I said real genius at work. Btw you are right, I am really jealous of moth eaten items. I would so love to own one, but it must be one of a kind, that is the moth I am referring too. J

Comment

Originally posted by BlaineLeamon87 View Post
                    I get it, I really do... You are Peanut Butter and Jealous
                    Hmmmm maybe you are on to something Blaine!
                    From an old thread:

About a year ago a signals piped fahnrich/ officer candidate tunic was spld
                    on the e-stand by a member from New York. If anyone knows the buyer or the
                    buyers is interested in selling the tunic on. Please pm, me I am trying to
                    find a good fahnrich / officer candidate tunic.
                    Jacques
                    Jacques, regarding your quest for an officer candidate tunic , out of curiosity, did you ever find one?
                    Would love to see it! (I guess mine would be the next best thing...just like Afrikasandman's example ; OA loops added...since it is a possibility and I am on a budget)
                    Nick
                    Last edited by NickG; 06-28-2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Nick , as a matter of fact, I do own one, for fahnrich untouched and from a Stalingrad unit, oh yes also an infantry officers candidate one , also untouched, but you will be disappointed as they have no mothing. Btw I have to admit I am still jealous of your moth eaten one of a kind job. J
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice Jacques. You have good taste. I have seen your collection thread and as you know I have even purchased from you.(SD style tunic).
                        I don't mind restorable tunics and uniforms that need minor mending! You "created" a Heer open neck officers tunic, AFrika title, GCG all kinds of medals, than framed it
                        but later stripped it and sold it to me for the proper SD restoration, and congratulating me for the end result...further stating (I paraphrase) "that was something I had in mind"...
                        So don't try to pretend you only have/buy untouched ones!

Speaking of "untouched", a question for you:
                        Are the officer double braid loops on the OA uniform that you show stitched on to the shoulderboards in a permanent fashion? It is always a gamble...
                        That's why I am hesitant to throw big money in this hobby...Many uniforms are upgraded! Nobody really knows...

Mine is actually sort of down graded...officer quality but Gefreiter rank which many doubted initially, basically calling it a garbage fabrication...but none of the naysayers had the courage thusfar to admit that they were wrong...instead attacking the condition...minute moth damage...but that's really OK with me! It shows some weakness though...
                        I think that something that was recovered from under the floorboards of a house actually adds to the piece! and period moth repellent to boot as a bonus!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 06-28-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Aah Nick, as always big on the half truths. That tunic came to me badged up with WW1 prussian insignia combined with TR insignia and then it was discussed to try and find out what it was, quite a few threads, in the end it was stripped for about the fifth time and sold to you and you created a very good believable impression of a SD guy.

Oh and my untouched tunics shown above were not created of pictures. I still love you Nick, don't worry. J

Comment

Aah Nick, as always big on the half truths. That tunic came to me badged up with WW1 prussian insignia combined with TR insignia and then it was discussed to try and find out what it was, quite a few threads, in the end it was stripped for about the fifth time and sold to you and you created a very good believable impression of a SD guy.

Oh and my untouched tunics shown above were not created of pictures. I still love you Nick, don't worry. J
                            Listen we all do have stuff that's been monkeyed with...(by ourselves or by others) that's a fact of life after 70 years...(unless its hidden away under the floor boards!)
                            Thanks and you have an amazing collection room! Extremely jealous! Maybe one day I can come visit and enjoy some "Windhoek Lager" with you! ! SA would be a dream to see!
                            I appreciate the comments on the SD restoration! I enjoy fixer-uppers and healthier on the wallet as well!
                            Last edited by NickG; 06-28-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

This tunic is a fantastic find Nick!!
                              To me the straps appear to be period sewn into the shoulder seam......I can see no evidence that they were ever messed with......Tabs look original as well!
                              The "buckle wear" appears to be undisputed and i commend you on your forensic talents!!
                              Congrats to you and your new addition to an already stunning collection!

Comment

Oh and also...
                                Interesting where that period repair is located.....in line with the belt....possible wear from gear???? bayo maybe?? It appears to be "worn through" damage...not a tear!!
                                Just a thought!??!?!?!?!??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X