No announcement yet.

A couple of private purchase eagles in period photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one caused a stir when I posted it in another thread. I think it is horrible! The actual postcard has the embossed details of a photographer's studio in Narvik, Norway.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sewn on back to front!
      Attached Files

Comment

Frequently seen type, with the distinctive little beak that makes the bird look more like a sparrow.
        Attached Files

Comment

Okay, he's a kriegsmarine rather than a soldat, but this is the best picture I have of this frequently seen eagle.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the picts Mark. I have both the types you posted in your post 18 and 19 but its always nice to see period photos as a confirmation

Regards

JC

Comment

Thanks for posting these pictures. I think as collectors we focus on what's the accepted versions and tend to shy away from eagle variations that are completely legit.

Tony

Comment

My God, Post 16, 17, and 18; no one would buy any of those! Good Lord!
                I mean.. that first one looks like it's laying an egg and the second... is the swat really backwards?!?!?!

-Jeremy

Comment

Great period photos and insignia examples.

Comment

I'm glad people like the pictures, and many thanks to everyone who has posted theirs. I will add more period pictures of eagle variants as and when I obtain them. I have had a great education in eagle types and variants since I joined this forum, and I am very grateful to everyone who has shared their knowledge. Fred Green has been extremely helpful on all aspects of cloth insignia - ongoing thanks, Fred! - and several other members have helped out when I posted questions. Many thanks to one and all.

All the best,

Mark

Comment

I have picked up a few more pics showing non-standard eagles. The first appears on a waffenrock. The detail is poor, but the shape of this one is quite distinctive. The head is also very rounded.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This private purchase eagle is pretty nice, and the detail in the photo is very good, as shown in the close-up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The final photo from the latest batch is one I was very pleased to find. A very distinctive early private purchase embroidered eagle, on field grey backing, on a tunic being worn in the field. Just look at the eagle's beak! The soldier's outfit is a fascinating mix of pre-war and mid-war heer items. His sidecap features M40 grey insignia, and his M36 collar displays M39 einheits collar tabs. His shoulderboards show plain slides to disguise a regimental number, and he wears an Ostmedaille ribbon and black wound badge with a lot of the black paint worn off. On his sleeve is a mouse-grey rank chevron. Perhaps this was once a walking-out tunic that was pressed into field service. It would be an amazing tunic to pick up, wouldn't it?

Mark
                          Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

Great eagle photos!! The last one looked like Toucan Sam on the Fruitloops cereal box.

Fred

Comment

Hi All,

I managed to pick up another couple of useful pics for eagle collectors, so here is an update to the thread. The first photos are of a well-known highlighted pattern of private purchase eagle, shown on a heer feldwebel's tunic. I played with the brightness and contrast in the close-up to enhance the details of the construction. It is amazing how much detail was captured by the photographer some seventy years ago!

All the best,

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

The second photo shows a pattern of eagle that has been discussed at length in this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=782333

It has taken quite a while to obtain a decent original photo of one, so I am happy to be able to share this one on the forum. Marked by a studio in Kiel, the picture shows a coastal artillery soldier, so this bird would of course have been bright yellow. The close-up was scanned at 1200dpi.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X