to confirm eagle insignia please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to confirm eagle insignia please

I will soon be posting these for sale but need to be sure that I properly identify the two items. Based on input from members of this forum I believe that I can call them:

one is a private purchase NCO/Officer's Breast Eagle; the other is an enlisted men’s breast eagles for display on field tunics

is there a more accurate way to "label" them?

also, I have other eagles meant for display on field tunics but they are all green in color. is there any significance to this one being black (ie: rank, unit, type of tunic)?

thanks,
    Attached Files

Hello,
    Black is panzer

Mike

Comment

The embroidered eagle is a fake/reproduction.

The black one is a panzer breast eagle and it's authentic.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager1944 View Post
        The embroidered eagle is a fake/reproduction.

The black one is a panzer breast eagle and it's authentic.

Regards,
        Thanks, what is it about the embroidered eagle that indicates reproduction? I might as well learn what to look for going forward.

Comment

That eagle is listed in the Pinned section: Reproduction Heer insignia. I too would like to know if this is a reproduction of an original pattern or is it a made up version?

Comment

Hello,

This eagle is a reproduction based on a early version of an embroidered private purchase Heer enlisted man's eagle. The size of the body is large compared to a skinny body of most early eagles, issue and private purchase.

Reddick was selling these. I purchased around 8-10 of them at the SOS a while back under the assumption of them being original. They have since appeared in a multitude of colors and styles. There are eagles out there that have been highlighted with bullion thread to make them Walking out dress uniform eagles. Looking at the base eagle you can see that they are still the same reproduction piece.

One of the major key "Tells" is the large ass the eagle has. As I stated earlier most early eagles, both issue pieces and private purchase, depict the eagle body as a slim body.

Fred
            Attached Files

Comment

a
              Attached Files

Comment

b
                Attached Files

Comment

Other than being bowlegged and having a large ass, they seem to be well executed. I have one that I purchased one too thinking it was original. I exposed it to black light and it does not glow, front or back. It fooled me.

Comment

please understand that I am not challenging anyone who knows far more about these matters than I will ever know. I appreciate the insight and sharing of information and quite honestly would be lost without the help I get from this forum.

I do have a question: this eagle has been in my possession for no less than 30 years and it was in a binder that my dad put together well before that----------were reproductions/fakes something made that long ago?

Thanks,

PS: I'm getting the impression that there was a considerable effort as the war was winding down for enterprising individuals to create souvenirs for GIs even before they left the European Theatre.

Comment

Tom,

They are well made and do not glow. I thought that I found a nice selection of an early eagle but after some research discovered they were bad.

The base color is also in black and various shades of green.

Fred

Comment

I'm a bit surprised too...

Here attached is another "big ass" variation I picked up in the 70's. Yellow thread with highlights/details enhanced in black and brass coil above wings like you see on officer versions. Note that the black "detailing thread" on the front is mostly white on the back. Certainly not the best designed bird I have seen but I always figured it was original too until the "big ass" was declared bad in the KM breast eagle thread

JC
                        Attached Files

Comment

just gotta ask..............considering that there are so many reproductions and apparently so few authentic versions available I'd have to guess that the repros are valued at $10-$20 and the real ones at $_______________????

any thoughts....??

Comment

Hello Jean-Claude,

The eagle you have posted is not a "BIG ASS" variety. To is a very nice private purchase enlisted man's breast eagle. Your eagle has a mid sized body. Notice the verticle arraingement of the thread of the chest. If you look at the eagles I have posted the chest is cross-hatched. The body almost looks like a triangle.

Fred

Comment

Hello,

The reproduction sold for $16. off the Reddick site. The repros I purchase sold for $25.- $45. each. As I stated "I believed that they were original when I picked them up"

Jean-Claude's eagle is the eagle style that this reproduction emulated.

Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X