No announcement yet.

A couple of private purchase eagles in period photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An observation: in posts 54 and 52 you will see some ancient newspaper on the back of the eagles. I am guessing that it was part of the the manufacturing process to put newspaper under the base cloth to add a bit of body or reinforcement to the eagles. You never see that on fakes, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Division View Post
      Another similar private eagle.
      regards

Antonio
      Antonio,

Many thanks for posting the tunic and its eagle. Look at the way the material of the eagle has softened around the edges, and is blending into the cloth of the tunic. That is very good to see, and something the fakers cannot reproduce.

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
        Here is another example of the embroidered eagle variation and this one has an added bullion cord to the top of the wings. It is on a fairly early, custom tailored Hauptmann's tunic to the 10 Machinegun battalion.
        Thank you,
        Curtiss
        Attached Files

Comment

..and the tunic it is on
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
            Hello Gentlemen,
            Here is another example of the embroidered eagle variation and this one has an added bullion cord to the top of the wings. It is on a fairly early, custom tailored Hauptmann's tunic to the 10 Machinegun battalion.
            Thank you,
            Curtiss
            Hello,

Love the eagle.. is it accepted as original by the community ? I have the chance to buy one myself and wanted to make sure first.

Thanks!

Comment

Here are my private purchase breast eagles .. all are uniform removed.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GELIS44; 06-03-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Pulgares hacia arribaPulgares hacia arriba

Comment

Here's a couple I have..
                        The bottom one has wings that are somewhat downward swept.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am loving the eagles people are posting! Excellent stuff, guys. I picked up another period photo with an interesting embroidered private purchase eagle. This one is on a waffenrock, and it looks like it would be white thread on field-grey backing. I played with the contrast and shade in the close-up to try and bring out the detail as best as possible.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I also picked up a nice, early private purchase eagle from Glenn McInnes (many thanks, Glenn!)
                            Attached Files

Comment

And the interesting evidence of the way these birds were made is the presence of old newspaper on the reverse of the swastika wreath. I posted two other examples of this that I have, in posts 52 and 54 of this thread. They obviously had sheets of newspaper underneath the cloth when the eagles were machine embroidered (in this case, over card unterlagen).
                              Attached Files

Comment

Although I wanted this thread to be about enlisted men's private purchase eagles, I thought this coastal artillery officer's eagle would be interesting to post, as it is not a bullion eagle. The Maker mark is 'E&K', a mark I have seen on various high quality cloth insignia. I have no idea who 'E&K' were. I posted this bird in the forum before, and a poster commented that dealers would probably claim that it was a "General's breast eagle". I'm sure they would, but for me, it is simply a great quality coastal artillery officer's eagle, nothing more.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X