No announcement yet.

Runic brooch photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is, i have a Deininger brooch with that character (rune?) on it. Will post more when at home later.

Comment

OK....I am eagerly awaiting your reply Gaston!

Comment

Don, i will dig it up this weekend, i promise! Works been killing me (again!).

Comment

The brooch in wear on the photo posted by Gran Sasso, contains a so called "Isaz-Rune" (often written as Isa-Rune or even IS-Rune). This is the eleventh rune of the Old Futhark. It's sound is that of "I". Isaz is the third rune of the second Aett. It's literal meaning is that of "Ice", but it's interpretation is quite wider. Just like Ice is a static form of water, but also a stubborn dam in a frozen river, it has the same interpretation on the Ego-self of a person.

The follow quote from Wiki (i have not much time so a quote will have to do) sums it up quite well i think:

Isaz is the reconstructed Proto-Germanic name of the i-rune ᛁ, meaning "ice". In the Younger Futhark, it is called Iss in Icelandic and isa in Old Norse. As rune of the Anglo-Saxon futhorc, it is called "is".

The corresponding Gothic letter is �� i, named "eis".

The photo by Gran Sasso has the name of the photographer in some sort of stylish lettering on the bottom, in such way that at first glance it applies a seemingly optical illusion. Im very sure the rune in the brooch of the woman is that of "Isaz, which as a runic meaning is probably worn to give her self-controll, concentration, inner rest and (emotional) control of herself, most probably in hard (personal) times of struggle.

As promised a brooch example with this rune (not the best pics, i just took them in artificial light, sorry):
          Attached Files

Comment

As can be seen from the above pictures of my silver Deininger "Isaz" brooch, Deiniger used again his own interpretation of the rune and called it "Beherrsche Dich Selbst". This is actually not a bad description at all, and quite better than many of his other descriptions. With the previous post in mind it is obvious why he gave it this name.

Despite having no photoshop skills i gave it an attempt to compare it to the picture and information in the Deiniger Catalog. Hope you like.

best regards,
            Gaston
            Attached Files

Comment

very informative as usual Gaston and thanks for the overlay photos. I did not see the Isaz rune right away as you did but it is clearly there! Very, very nice photo.

Comment

Was able to add another handmade Isaz one yesterday with help of a collectors friend at a fair. It's probably a wartime Dutch made one.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful Gaston. A nice addition and a lucky find!

Comment

Another fleamarket-find - looks like a spider brooch?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Very interesting, but unfortunately not sharp enough. Does it show in hand it is an actual spider? Can you try and enlarge the brooch part or perhaps sharpen it a bit? It might be one of those bronze brooches with a seperate cut out design that was added to the bronze underground of the brooch, but it's from this image impossible to tell or confirm and could very well be something else. I do have a number of (Dutch) made brooches in this style, they are very rare but i always imaged they existed in german designs as well. On the other hand im not sure what timeframe this picture fits in, is there anything on the back that could be helpfull?

Either way, it is again a nice image you found.

best regards,
                      Gaston

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post
                        On the other hand im not sure what timeframe this picture fits in, is there anything on the back that could be helpfull?
                        Definately 3rd reich timeframe:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jabnus View Post
                          Can you try and enlarge the brooch part or perhaps sharpen it a bit?
                          Best my scanner could do:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bought this one today. Needs some cleaning.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That´s a very nice one with the addition of the leafs - love the patina, Don!

Comment

Ran it through a few filters and slightly darkened it, with a bit of phantasy it looks like a spider but i don't think it is. It could be a centre stone like e.g barnstein or something similar, or it could be a cut out design of about anything in a different color metal.

Don: nice catch, i saw it too but had just spend my cash on two different rare brooches (both of which are in the same parcel and are currently lost in the mail!). This one with the added "handarbeit" mark on the reverse is really nice.

best regards,
                                Gaston
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X