- THE SS TK RING
          - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
          - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
          - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful...

I especially like the informal pattern eagle on the small tanned napkins.

I have always wondered where these were mainly used.

Comment

Hi Antonio,

Wonderful examples! I don't recall seeing that flatware pattern previously which you show in your note #509; may we see an enlargement of the obverse and reverse please?

Also -- and here my unfamiliarity with AH napkin and tablecloth embroidery styles is quite clear -- according to Dr. Griffith's book, the eagle with three feathers on each downswept wing is known as the "Formal Pattern" while the eagle with four feathers on each downswept wing is known as the "Informal Pattern." (See the "Linens" section of Griffith's "Revised" edition.) I make this point in response to your notes #512 and 513 wherein you refer to the three-feather design as the "Informal" style and the four-feather design as the "Formal" style. Perhaps these style names are not related to the eagle design at all, but to the color of the fabric of the napkin or the tablecloth...?

Many thanks for your further enlightenment, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

I was always under the impression that the 'informality' ' was linked to the size of the napkin, not the design of the eagle.

The 'informal' napkin [tanned, shown above] is much smaller than the 'formal' type. Hence, the logical presumption is they were more likely to be used at informal occasions [afternoon tea at the Berghof, for example] than a grand banquet in Berlin.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but it makes sense.

To add to that, the matching tanned 'informal' table cloths...I have only ever seen small [5ft-ish versions] never bigger. Again, these would suit an informal setting [Mooslahnerkopf, Eagle's Nest, Berghof etc etc].

Comment

Interesting and informative as always -- thanks, CPB! Do you think there is any significance to the number of feathers included in the two different designs of the embroidered AH Eagle/Swaz?

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                    Do you think there is any significance to the number of feathers included in the two different designs of the embroidered AH Eagle/Swaz?

Br. James
                    Personally, none whatsoever. I just think it was a change in design/style over the 12 or so years.

Comment

Hi Antonio,

Wonderful examples! I don't recall seeing that flatware pattern previously which you show in your note #509; may we see an enlargement of the obverse and reverse please?
                      At the end of "Miscellaneus" chapter on Griffith book there are two pictures of this pattern. I have to say that these 5 pieces I have in collection are the only I have ever seen around. If someone has some more to add I'll be happy to see them.
                      Here I posted some close ups:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=618513&page=4

Also -- and here my unfamiliarity with AH napkin and tablecloth embroidery styles is quite clear -- according to Dr. Griffith's book, the eagle with three feathers on each downswept wing is known as the "Formal Pattern" while the eagle with four feathers on each downswept wing is known as the "Informal Pattern." (See the "Linens" section of Griffith's "Revised" edition.) I make this point in response to your notes #512 and 513 wherein you refer to the three-feather design as the "Informal" style and the four-feather design as the "Formal" style. Perhaps these style names are not related to the eagle design at all, but to the color of the fabric of the napkin or the tablecloth...?

Many thanks for your further enlightenment, my friend,

Br. James
                      In Griffith book, on "linens" chapter, the second page of the chapter shows 2 picture from 2 different patterns, but the note says:
                      "Napkin, tan White eagle and AH in corner.
                      BELOW: matching tablecloth. This is commonly referred to as the Informal pattern."

On following page the eagle with three feathers on wings is called "formal".

So which is the formal?

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                      - THE SS TK RING
                      - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                      - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                      - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Smith View Post
                        Bought this AH Informal Pattern Ladle on Saturday at the SOS.. Only one I have owned ..Handled a few of the formal pattern but never owned a AH informal pattern .. Cool hard to find piece
                        Someone has cleaned it and added 1/3rd value somewhere since it sold at Mohawk recently..http://www.militarytrader.com/milita...mohawk-auction

Comment

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for pointing out those two photos at the back of Griffith's "Revised" edition...and I always wish that he had gone to the trouble of pagination in this book! But of course this edition is a compilation of his First and Second Editions of this title, and one can see where the First Edition ends and the Second Edition begins in the setup of the pages...and apparently neither previous edition had numbered pages.

These photos reveal Griffith's intention to publish a Third Edition of this title -- which is NOT the "Revised" edition -- but he apparently never got around to doing that. Sorry to say...

Griffith's two photos of this pattern are not clear enough to examine the monogram; could you please remind us what note numbers the closeups you previously posted were?

And I do agree that there is some further understanding necessary in terms of what constitutes "formal" and "informal" napkins and tablecloths, especially if the number of wing feathers on the embroidered eagles is irrelevant to the pattern.

Thanks again,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                            Someone has cleaned it and added 1/3rd value somewhere since it sold at Mohawk recently..http://www.militarytrader.com/milita...mohawk-auction
                            I also was bidding on this Sold for $2,232 + 15% commission so $2,566.00 not a "deal" but then again go find one.

Comment

A question for a general discussion:

When is enough, enough? What's that ONE piece that would finish your silverware/linen/porcelain collection off and see you draw a line under your collecting days?

Comment

Now that's a question I wound never answer! When I began collecting the AH Informal Pattern about 15+ years ago, my goal was to assemble a complete place-setting in that pattern. I accomplished that goal a year or more ago, but I never stop looking at anything that comes up! Who knows? I may see a piece that I didn't know existed and that I MUST HAVE?! Or a piece may speak to me at a weak moment and, well, there I go again! Another piece added to my place-setting!

But one standard I have never violated is that I have never purchased any duplicates. ONE of any one utensil style is really enough for me! Since no one can ever have it ALL, I would only be fooling myself if I acted as though I thought I could!

Cheers, friends,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X