Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't recall seeing pictures of this large SS subject sculpture before, this image published 1940.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is that your garden Steve

Never seen that photo before.Were was that piece originally placed.Some training barracks I guess.

Etienne

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne B. View Post
        Is that your garden Steve

Etienne
        Yeah, its too big to keep in the house

While I'm on the thread here's another beauty of an Edda script plate
        Attached Files

Comment

Getting a true likeness of wooden items in a picture can be quite a challenge for me with wood being mostly a mix of red/yellow/orange tones. I've bought plates that look completely different in colour to what I saw in the pictures, no disrespect to the sellers, its sometimes difficult with plates.

The shot above was a quick snap in front of a window but here's one below that came out better, ok it's lost a bit of 'punch' in compression down to a small jpg but a very close to true representation with daylight and with a feathered in flash from a softbox to add some highlights and depth to the image.
          Attached Files

Comment

amazing detail on the ship!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthäus Klein View Post
              amazing detail on the ship!
              A Viking ship would have been really cool with the Edda saying.

Comment

?

Guys, can you make any sense of this or recognise the artist/maker mark?

Its stamped on the bottom of a wrought iron candle holder. A double strike makes reading more difficult but the letters could be 'ohg' or 'sho', maybe you can see something more than my old eyes

Cheers..
                Attached Files

Comment

I read OHS.

S maybe means smithy - just a guess.

Comment

Since we are at it...

...more iron:
                    Attached Files

Comment

More:
                      Attached Files

Comment

A handmade piece for the birth of a child:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Back from the restorer:

a late one - 1944.

And some more SS culture:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
                            In the spirit of "doing research:"
                            -- someone ( a European collector who does not share on WAF for the "good reasons" stated previously) gave me some help with their own research and so : the pattern on my old teppich rug or drape is not named "Bernward." At least not on this catalog.
                            Apparently it is instead a pattern by the name of : #3022 Birkhahne {umlaut on the "a"} "Black Grouse." Be it pagan, Christian or neither...it is not Bernward.
                            But one thing is for sure; this pattern was offered way past the TR era (catalogue of the Meldorfer Weberei) and especially was sold as a "beloved little pillow" as the catalog clearly shows.

Finally :much thanks to all those European collectors who help me out with information in these situations.
                            We all need to get the truth out .
                            Without it, no one on WAF (other than those who claim to have always known this--yet remained silent) would be aware of the modern rugs still to this moment.
                            Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                            Thats the weberei out of business, another weberei, such as the one in still existence that probably made Thorsten's cushion, it looks like the one in the picture Minnsinger posted, may well not use the pattern name from the Kunstweberei.
                            I can shed some more light on this little sub-topic after finding a book 'Dithmarcher Museums Workstätten' from '78 by Reimer Franck.

According to the book this small tree of life pattern with grouse in circle pattern is called 'Bernward' by the Museums Workshops (MW), its named after the design from the tomb of Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim. (MW being the company that supplied the Deutsches Heimatwerk)

From the book ' Interessant ist die Entstehung des Bernwardmusters (siehe Bildteil). Die DMW übersetzen ein Lebensbaummotiv, das im Sarkophag des 1022 verstorben Hildesheimer Bishofs Bernward auf einem Seidestoff fand, in Beiderwand.' I roughly translate this to ' Interestingly, the emergence of Bernward pattern (see figure part). The DMW translate a tree of life motif, found in the sarcophagus of the Bishop Bernward (yr.1022) of Hildesheim on a silk fabric in beiderwand.

So, the pattern goes by two names, 'Bernward' from the Deutsches Heimatwerk supplier, the Museums Workshop, and as seen in '79 catalogue of Bremer's Kunstweberei Michael shared with us its called 'Birkhähne'

Comment

strong work Steve.

Comment

Here's a nice little box. Although I've been told its from the family of a member of the SS I've as yet not seen any provenance to this statement, either way,a nice little period chest/box I think. A couple of worm holes in the base and the shellac is a bit thin in places but overall very nice. A coat of beeswax should make this box come alive again.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 76 users online. 0 members and 76 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X