This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
    No, because the Blood Order ribbon was never allowed to be worn on a ribbon (or medal) bar. I've seen one that I thought could have been period, but I've never picked one up because of the lack of documentation and seemingly no reason for them to exist.
    Erich
    I feel the ones that Jon and I have are period pieces. The ribbons are original and the FHH has a lot of detail that would be found from the period. With that being said, I think that these pieces were never worn but rather a companion piece to the BO. JMO.

Comment

Many thanks for Erich Benndorff's informative response, which brings to light a further question, also arising from my ignorance: if the BO ribbon was not permitted to be worn on a ribbon or medal bar, then why was such a bar ribbon created in the first place? When I was writing my original question on this thread yesterday I did wonder why anyone would need to even consider not wearing the distinctive Blood Order decoration itself (or at least the sunrise buttonhole ribbon alone), especially since it would not be in competition with any other decoration worn on the right breast pocket? One would theoretically have more reason to wear more than one neck cross decoration at the same time -- and the Pour le Merite and either the KC of the EK or the KC of the KVK could be worn in combination -- than one would have concern about wearing the BO in full form. So why the need to create a bar ribbon that could never be worn...?

Br. James

Comment

I also have a BO ribbonbar but without the FH device. I have tried to find one of these but like the ribbons they are almost impossible to find. Attaching my BO to this tread as I was informed by Jon that it disapeared from the thread it was originally posted.

Greg
        Attached Files

Comment

closeup...
          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Greg! This BO is an exception to the rule of the early Orders being a bit sloppy with the the 990 silver content number. Also, it's nice to see another fan of the controversial ribbon bars.

Comment

Great Order Greg

Here is a card I have not seen before, anyone else come across this one?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing that card, Jon, and no, I haven'[t seen it before. I have to tell you that when I quickly looked at it my first thought was that the two SA Men standing before the Feldherrnhalle had had too many sausages for lunch -- it looks like they're both passing gas!!

Sometimes my sense of humor gets the best of me...with apologies!!

Br. James

Comment

Jon, I have seen that card before. Here's one that I have that's similar.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Andreas Bauriedl's grave in Munich where he was burred after his removal from the Ehrentempel. His blood was spilled on the Blood Flag according to legend.
                    Attached Files

Comment

After doing some grave research, Grimminger's grave in Munich now belongs to someone else. It seems that in Germany, one only rents a grave.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                        After doing some grave research, Grimminger's grave in Munich now belongs to someone else. It seems that in Germany, one only rents a grave.
                        That´s correct. There are two options, either purchasing or renting a grave. Since the second option is cheaper, most go for renting. 25 years are a common duration. After that the mortal remains are removed and disposed and the grave will be rented again. We Germans are keen on reusing and recycling

Comment

Thtas true indeed, i have a gravestone of a former WWI soldier in my collection. Not only in germany is this by the way common practice. Also in the Netherlands this is normal. You can rent for a maximum of (i belive?) 40 years, after that the family has to decide to pay/reserve for another amount of years, with another 40 as maximum. If not the grave gets "cleared" for re-use. the same i imagine is normal practise in germany? The grave stone i have came from a fallen WOI soldier who had no family left.

Best regards,
                          Gaston

ps: Grimmingers grave...ouch!

Comment

As an aside, that has also happened to Sepp Dietrich's grave near Stuttgart. Apparently the "rent ran out" a couple of years ago, and his large/impressive grave stone was removed ...
                            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

I'd like to add his stone to my collection as well

Comment

From what I read, most of the 16 Martyrs graves are gone to time with the exceptions of Bauriedl and Casella.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X