Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John and Annelie,

Those eagles were most likely made by the POW's themselves. The photo was 100% taken in POW Camp 133 Ottawa Canada. I have posted other photos of the same eagles two times before from the same camp. Check out #900,901,902 - Page 60, 61 and one photo had the swastikas scratched out in #1005 - page 67. The Canadians treated their German POW's very well and allowed them to wear their uniforms and decorations plus when a POW died in camp they allowed the Kriegsflagge to be draped over the casket as in #907,908,909,910 - Page 61 also in POW Camp 133. If you checked out many of my previous photos in Camps in the USA and France uniforms and decorations were also worn. As Gerard stated the Camp Commander set the rules. Now after the end of the War things changed and in most cases POWs were not allowed to wear the forbidden symbol.

Bill

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
    Hi Annelie,

That's my point exactly.
    Last edited by W Petz; 03-27-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I posted this new photo in the DAK section (collections display forum) but thought it belongs here even more. It is one of the largest POW photos that i have ever owned being approx. 25"x8" in size. I am going to have it profesionally framed so as to hang it between my DAK tunics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW Portrait USA
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure where the Band Pic was Taken But I agree I dont think Any Commanding Officers would allow them to make anything with a swaztica...Let alone Hang it Up.

By the way the LARGE DAK pic is something special.....Truly amazing....Any Idea where it was taken.

Comment

POW in USA

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
            Apr10 - POW Portrait USA
            Bill great portrait as usual. This guy is scary looking isn't he? What branch of the service was he with?

Comment

Originally posted by busterz111 View Post
              By the way the LARGE DAK pic is something special.....Truly amazing....Any Idea where it was taken.
              Thank you. I am not sure where it was taken as there is no info on the reverse.

Comment

Sorry but all I can do is post photographic evidence that those eagles existed in camp 133 in Canada. I have stated where they were taken based on what is written and stamped on the reverse of the photos. It is your choice whether you believe it or not but I pointed out that there is more than just one of the same photo and owned by more than one POW who was interned at Camp 133. The Canadians probably treated the German POW's under their care much better than any of the other Allies. Obviously whoever ran Camp 133 allowed privileges that wouldn't be found in many other camps. There is a documented fact that at the end of the war in Holland a Canadian Camp Commander allowed the Germans to court martial and execute several of their own soldiers..a movie was even made about it.

Originally posted by busterz111 View Post
                Not sure where the Band Pic was Taken But I agree I dont think Any Commanding Officers would allow them to make anything with a swaztica...Let alone Hang it Up.

Comment

He does look evil doesn't he. If you haven't noticed the negative was reversed when this photo was developed as the PW shows up as WP. He is most likely Heer although he gives me the creepy feeling he might be SS....I was surprised that he has an eagle on his cap with him wearing GI issued shirt and trousers....no writing on the reverse but has a typical US ..Post Card logo with no indication of what Camp he was interned.

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
                  Bill great portrait as usual. This guy is scary looking isn't he? What branch of the service was he with?

Comment

Great portrait of DAK POW's. I have never seen one that large but of course they exist as yours is proof.

Here is one that isn't so large but nice none the less

Apr10 - POW USA #1

Originally posted by tropenmilitaria View Post
                    I posted this new photo in the DAK section (collections display forum) but thought it belongs here even more. It is one of the largest POW photos that i have ever owned being approx. 25"x8" in size. I am going to have it profesionally framed so as to hang it between my DAK tunics.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW USA #2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW USA #3
                        Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW USA #4
                          Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW USA #5
                            Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW BRADY USA
                              Attached Files

Comment

Apr10 - POW GERMAN or BRITISH? What do you think!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X