Comment

Mar10 - POW Camp Group #9
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nazi Eagles?

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                    Mar10 - POW Camp Group #9
                    Hi Bill,

In photo 1209, there are Nazi Eagles on either side of the group. I'm surprised the Camp Commander allowed these decorations to be put up.

John

Comment

Pow'S

Originally posted by Mousey
                      it was their national emblam.
                      it was on all their chests so why not on a wall.
                      Well they're not in Germany, they're in Canada for one thing. For another they were POW's. Why should the Nazi Eagle/Swastika have been allowed in a POW Camp? My dad served at an airbase in California where German POW's worked. They weren't allowed to wear regular uniforms as far as he could tell.

Comment

Nazi Eagles

Maybe the camp commander thought they looked pretty cool !

Comment

POW's

Originally posted by panzer1432 View Post
                          Maybe the camp commander thought they looked pretty cool !
                          Well they do look cool. I just found it odd they'd be allowed in a POW Camp. I could see maybe letting them wear the breast eagle for a short time after arrival in the camp, but having big wall mounted decorations? Where does one draw the line?

Comment

Having a hard time believing that the photo actually was in an Canadian
                            POW camp.

Where would they (whoever) got these? They weren,t readily available
                            in Canada during those times. That or someone imposed these onto
                            the photo or the photo is improperly thought to be in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
                              POW camp.

I can't confirm it is in Canada but perhaps the eagles question depends on the latitude given by the camp commander. I think they look to be carved so there would be no importation issue. In Ireland during the war downed Lufftwafe and RAF crews held in camps were eventually allowed day passes to go on trips into town relatively unsupervised - they were limited in number and they were on their word not to try to escape. Far as I know the Germans kept their word in that regard.

Comment

POW's

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
                                POW camp.

Hi Annelie,

That's my point exactly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X