Post your German panzer, STuG photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back of Grenze photo

Here's the back of the previous photo. Any ideas on where Grenze was or what type of panzer is in the photo?
    Attached Files

Comment

Early Panzer on the move

Here's an early panzer on the move. There's writing on the reverse of this photo too. I'll post that side as well in the hopes of translation. Trouble is it looks like this photo was taken from an album none too gently and some writing may be missing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse of the Panzer on the move photo

Here's the reverse of the previous photo.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
          Here's the back of the previous photo. Any ideas on where Grenze was or what type of panzer is in the photo?
          Hi John,

Very nice photo. It shows a Panzerbefehlswagen III (command tank based on a Panzer III) of Panzer-Regiment 2 (16. Panzer-Division). Because the turret was fixed in place, a large storage box could be placed on the back of the tank. Also notice the frame aerial. This would have been the tank of either the regiment commander, one of the battalion commanders or their adjutants. Any chance you could provide a close-up of the panzer commander?

The caption says: "Grenzübergang über den Bug bei Krystynopol" (Border corssing over the Bug [river] near Krystynopol".

Hope that helps.
          Jason

Comment

I just found this very same image on page 59 of "Bildband der 16. Panzer-Division" [1956 edition]. Here is the caption from the book:
            "Ein schicksalhafter Tag für die Division: Übergang über den Bug bei Sokal-Krystinopol am 24.6.1941. Der Kampf gegen die Sowjet-Union hat begonnen. Der Befehlswagen des Panzer-Regiments 2 rollt über die russische Grenze."

My rough translation:
            "A fateful day for the division: crossing over the bug near Sokal-Krystinopol on 24 June 1941. The battle against the Soviet Union had begun. The command tank of Panzer-Regiment 2 rolls across the Russian border."

This tank may therefore have been that of the regiment commander, Oberst Rudolf Sieckenius.

As I wrote earlier, a very nice and historic photo!
            Jason

Comment

"Grenze" means border and the sign marks the border of the German "Generalgouvernment" Poland.

Cheers,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                I just found this very same image on page 59 of "Bildband der 16. Panzer-Division" [1956 edition]. Here is the caption from the book:
                The photo is also found in a newer edition of the Bildband and the text is modified to include "(Sieckenius)".

This "RN1" I believe is the mount of Sieckenius. Our forum friend who researches PR2 could help us I hope!
                Attached Files

Comment

A StuG IV, armor reinforced by concrete (and with embedded tracks!) - one from rather famous series of photographs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Panzer-Regiment 3 was known for unique markings, and a spur was one of them. Quite often misidentified as a horseshoe, a friend correctly identified it as a spur back in 2000 I remember (till then I had had a wrong impression).

Recently Rick White provided me with a few more good pictures of "spur" used by 2.Kompanie... But still we need more photos and documentation to get more information about the origin of "spur" marking.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Panzer Regt. 2 photo, RN1

Hi Akira, Jason,

Wow so I have a photo of Oberst Sieckenius' tank crossing the Bug River on the Polish-Russian border. Very interesting. Akira the photo you show of RN1, would that be a front view of the tank in my photo? Even though it had a fixed turret, was it's main gun operable?

Comment

the photo you show of RN1, would that be a front view of the tank in my photo?
                        Yes, that's what I had implied {possibility}.

Even though it had a fixed turret, was it's main gun operable?
                        No, it was a dummy on this version of Befehlspanzer. Only an MG was supposed to protect it against enemy.

Comment

Oberst Sieckenius

Hi Akira,

Thanks for the information. Is one of the two men in the RN1 photo Oberst Sieckenius? What happened to the oberst? Was he killed later in the war? I take it that Panzer Regiment 2 and the 16th Panzer Division to which it was attached, was a hard fighting outfit. The Panzerbefehlswagen III only had a single MG protecting it? What type of MG? I assume that it had a significant amount of radio gear inside it and the 1 MG was deemed sufficient protection since it wasn't expected to get into combat. Did later Panzerbefehlswagens have more protection, that is cannons that could fire? Thanks again to everyone who's helping me out here.

Comment

some great photos and information guys! thanks for keping the thread alive.

here is one from showing captured French tanks in german colors firing.

Mike
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here are the snapshots of the Panzerschreck training at the railway station or yard in Genua.
                              Trainees of the Kriegsmarine are probably 22. U-Jagdflottille members. I think the combination of Kriegsmarine and Bergepanther is kind of interesting.

Comment

A recently acquired panzer photo. Don't know anything about it (guys in the back may be wearing the SS parkas)... If anyone can give me details on this photo, please do!!

mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 21 users online. 0 members and 21 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X