Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
    Hi Derka,

Ah now I understand what you meant. Thanks so much for your help. Was there much of a difference between the Ausf. B and C versions of the Pz IV?

John,

Good question. There are very few external details to help differentiate between the Pz.IV ausf.B and ausf.C models. Outside of the addition of a armored sleeve over the barrel of the coaxial machine gun, a slightly different shape for the opening for the main gun on the mantlet, and very minor differences in some of the details on the rear engine deck hatch locks (all of these found on the ausf.C) the two otherwise appear virtually identical. I believe that the ausf.C (or later production ausf.C's) had a reworked, improved version of the Maybach HL 120.

Rob

Comment

Here's a panzer who obviously made a wrong turn somewhere.
      Wow, great photo! Hard to tell how that could have happened, unless there's some steep ground behind the photographer.

I saw something like this happen to a modern U.S. M577 command post vehicle at the National Training Center, but it rolled off the edge of a tank ditch that the driver didn't see. No one got hurt either (the water in the bottom of the tank ditch wasn't this deep!).

Best,
      Greg
      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Panzer in the water

Hi Greg,

It does make one wonder doesn't? It looks to be in some Russian swamp. One hopes the crew survived.

Comment

Here's a panzer who obviously made a wrong turn somewhere.

Just in case you need an ID, that's a Panzer III.

The answer to the question you asked regarding the differences between the Pz.IV ausf.B and ausf.C can be found in post #544.

Hope this was of help to you.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang08 View Post
            Woooah! Wait a minute that's not a Florida swamp is it John?

How would that even happen?

-Bryant
            Well, it´s a war going on out there you know

Comment

Pz III

Hi Rob,

How can you tell it's a Pz III?

Comment

Hi Rob,

How can you tell it's a Pz III?

Very easy - the road wheels, rear idler, rear deck details, etc.

It's definitely a Panzer III chassis, could also be a StuG.III........ but I'd have to check my references when I get home to verify that they shared the same exhaust and rear deck details with the various production versions of the Pz.III.

Rob
                Last edited by Rob Johnson; 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Pz III

Thanks for the identification Rob. Too bad there wasn't any writing on the back that would have told us exactly what happened.

Comment

[ATTACH]1394335[/ATTACH]

Comment

fell in during winter?

Looks like some spots of whitewash stil left on the rear armourplate, also looks like dunes of snow in the background, so here's a theory:

Pz III or StuG III fell through the ice during winter (it tipped forward when the ice broke under it) When the spring thaw came it re-emerged from the lake and was photographed.

Comment

[ATTACH]1394523[/ATTACH]

Comment

Pz III in the water

Hi Johnny,

Your theory sounds pretty good. The tanks commander didn't realize how thin the ice was and broke through it. Then, due to the thinness of the ice, they couldn't get the tank out at the time she went in. So, they just waited for the spring thaw. Would they have been able to save the tank or would they have just used it for parts?

Comment

Originally posted by johnny_ola2000 View Post
                            Looks like some spots of whitewash stil left on the rear armourplate, also looks like dunes of snow in the background, so here's a theory:

Pz III or StuG III fell through the ice during winter (it tipped forward when the ice broke under it) When the spring thaw came it re-emerged from the lake and was photographed.
                            I think what you see as whitewash is actually wooden boards. For use if a vehicle got stuck. Stewy

Comment

Sorry my mistake,i think you were on about an earlier pic. Stewy

Comment

I think they would have tried to salvage it, the Werkstattkompanies had powerful vehicles like the Sdkfz 9 tractors equipped with cranes. I've seen many photos of Tigers being salvaged out of lakes or under broken down bridges (it would take three Sdkfz 9's linked together to pull one Tiger!) but Tigers were of course more valued than a StuG since they cost three times more to produce.
                                If the vehicle was beyond salvation they would most likely cannibalize the usefull parts and blow up the remains.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 20 users online. 0 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X