Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank No. 812

Hi,

Thanks for the correction. I was basing the Pz III, description on what the seller stated in his description. Any idea on how to find out what unit it belonged to?

Comment

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
      Hi Rob,

Thanks for the correction. Though I thought the name on the tank was Wespe?
      That's just the name the crew gave their vehicle. It has nothing to do with the make/model of the actual vehicle.

"Wespe" is "wasp" in German.

Rob

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the correction. I was basing the Pz III, description on what the seller stated in his description. Any idea on how to find out what unit it belonged to?
        Ah, blaming the seller again (like with the 38(t) "Panther" photo of yours) I see

Just joking around of course.

Rob

Comment

Wespe

Actually Rob, Douglas did ask what the name on the side of the tank was. I answered that question by saying Wespe or Wasp. I was not trying to identify the make of the vehicle. As for my misidentifying Tank number 812, ah I guess we all make mistakes. I'd still love to know the identity of the unit it belonged to.

Comment

I believe this is a Pz III. Can someone identify this tanks unit? The number on the hull is 812.
            this is just an hypothesis :
            the panzer IV is an early model.
            it looks like that one man in the group in front of it wears a black beret, and the panzerman on the left wears a felgrau cap.
            considering trees with leaves in background, indicating may/august period,
            i think that the pic was taken in 1940.
            there was only 10 panzerdivisions at that time.
            among them, it seems that the only one whose tanks had a number painted on a small metalic rhombus on the side, and without divisional tactical symbol, was the 8.Pz.Div., but this was not the case later in june 1941 in Russia.

derka

Comment

Hi Derka,

Thanks for your help. So you believe it's a shot from the French Campaign. You feel this was an 8th Pz Division panzer due to the markings right?

Comment

yes,
                i believe the lack of divisional tactical symbol was specific to this division during this period.
                so this panzer IV was logicaly in Pz.Rgt 10, as Pz.Abt 67 had only 3 tanks Kps.
                but later, for Barbarossa, tanks of this Pz.Div. had the divisional tactical symbol with 3 numbers code painted on the turret.

Comment

So this tank was in one of the 3 Kompanies of Pz. Abteilung 67, Pz. Regt. 10. That's very interesting. How long was this version of the Pz. IV used? I believe that Rob said this was an Ausf. B or C.

Comment

no, i might explained myself badly.
                    this panzer IV would have been logicaly in Pz.Rgt. 10. order of batle, in 8.Kp., zug 1, tank n°2,
                    as the other tank unit of this Pz.Div., the Pz.Abt. 67, had only 3 Kompagnieren.
                    i think that after 1941, surviving Ausf B or C were mainly used for training, or for suporting second line units, antipartisans ops, etc...

derka

Comment

Hi Derka,

Ah now I understand what you meant. Thanks so much for your help. Was there much of a difference between the Ausf. B and C versions of the Pz IV?

Comment

http://www.panzer-reich.co.uk/index.htm
                        Hi STuGIII,this link may help. Stewy

Comment

Thanks Stewy

Comment

Panzer wrong turn

Here's a panzer who obviously made a wrong turn somewhere.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a panzer who obviously made a wrong turn somewhere.
                              Woooah! Wait a minute that's not a Florida swamp is it John?

How would that even happen?

-Bryant

Comment

Wrong turn Franz

Hi Bryant,

I don't know how that could've happened. Unusual shot.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X