X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Herr Stoll

Comment

Good morning!
      Does Eberhard Heder replies letters and sign fotos with an inscription?
      Best regards!

Comment

Originally posted by macmoeller View Post
        Good morning!
        Does Eberhard Heder replies letters and sign fotos with an inscription?
        Best regards!
        Yes, he does....A true gentleman.

I still like this picture which I took form him when he was looking at a gravestone during a memorial service.

martin

Comment

Who refuses any kind of contact?

Comment

Rochus Misch for one and others. They are now elderly
            some not in good healthy anymore
            and sometimes taken advantage of. People ask for
            their autograph and then sell it on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
              People ask for
              their autograph and then sell it on ebay.
              what a shame
              sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Some of them will respond and others will not. I received a letter and photos from Herr Rochus Misch aprx 2 months ago that only took 2 weeks to come back. Herr Heder took 6 months to respond but did so with some very nice signed photos and a great letter. It seems to be hit or miss and depends on their availibility to respond. I take the chance and send them out and have been very pleased with the number of responses. I make sure to let them know up front that I will not sell these photos, that they are for a personal collection. I also make sure to include some Euros for thier time and trouble. It is the least that I can do.
                In some cases I have written to the wrong address and have received letters back from people who are not the RKT winner but they have told me thier lifes stories and experiences during the war and after. They have all been very gracious and happy to correspond

Comment

letter and photos from Herr Rochus Misch aprx 2 months ago that only took 2 weeks to come back

How lucky, what did you say that he responded?

How much is appropriate to send to cover expenses and stamps?
                  Last edited by Annelie; 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM. Reason: added question

Comment

Letters to RK winners

I started writing to RKT's in 1973. I wrote to all who were OdR members. Out 0f 1,853 letters I sent, I received 1,431 answers with photos. I wrote my last letter in 2002. In those days, almost all of them answered within a couple months. Many of them were nice enough to send Non-OdR RK members addresses. They were young back then & were thrilled that an American would have an intest in them. Over the years I visited many of them, and made some wonderful friends! Bodo Spranz wrote the foreword for my book and was a dear friend...I miss him very much. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                      I started writing to RKT's in 1973. I wrote to all who were OdR members. Out 0f 1,853 letters I sent, I received 1,431 answers with photos. I wrote my last letter in 2002. In those days, almost all of them answered within a couple months. Many of them were nice enough to send Non-OdR RK members addresses. They were young back then & were thrilled that an American would have an intest in them. Over the years I visited many of them, and made some wonderful friends! Bodo Spranz wrote the foreword for my book and was a dear friend...I miss him very much. Tom
                      And a great book it it is Tom !! I was lucky enough to visit Bodo a couple of times and can only concur with Tom , a really nice guy !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                        I had a similar experience. I wrote, they answered. I visited, they were great hosts and thrilled to have an American "understand" their side. After awhile, I really dreaded receiving the OdR magazine with the latest "who died" list, so I stopped. I also miss them very much and still have all the letters, photos and artifacts I received.

They always said we were the best chance they had to receive a decent account of "their" side of what happened, what they did, and what they had to experience.

Tom

Comment

I wrote, they answered. I visited, they were great hosts and thrilled to have an American "understand" their side. After awhile, I really dreaded receiving the OdR magazine with the latest "who died" list, so I stopped. I also miss them very much and still have all the letters, photos and artifacts I received.

They always said we were the best chance they had to receive a decent account of "their" side of what happened, what they did, and what they had to experience.

Glad they have such a positive attitude towards the attention they are
                          receiving. I wish I had long ago asked for autographs but I didn't want
                          to invade their privacy but I see now there is another way to look at it.
                          Even some veterans I know I haven't asked for anything or try to dig out any information. I just let them talk whenever they feel like it.
                          Perhaps its not too late to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
                            Glad they have such a positive attitude towards the attention they are
                            receiving. I wish I had long ago asked for autographs but I didn't want
                            to invade their privacy but I see now there is another way to look at it.
                            Even some veterans I know I haven't asked for anything or try to dig out any information. I just let them talk whenever they feel like it.
                            Perhaps its not too late to start?
                            That's what i think too.
                            Time is running out so we better hurry.
                            sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Yes, I will start the next time I see several of my friends.

One was training as an pilot but iin 45 they ran out of gas
                              he said and they transfered him to Russia in the Wehrmacht.

The other was in two uboots. He still has all his badges
                              and paperwork.

I will ask for photos and autographs even if I have to take them
                              myself

I belong to an Germania Club so we are friends and I am sure
                              they won't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mdj View Post
                                Yes, he does....A true gentleman.

I still like this picture which I took form him when he was looking at a gravestone during a memorial service.

martin

Thank you, MDJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X