Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice photos of the flieger with the ost ribbon. You dont see many photos of FJ with the Ost ribbon on

Comment

Feb10 - Gebj Officer wearing a FJ Badge - 1
      Attached Files

Comment

Feb10 - The same Gebj Officer with Bride...not a clear snap but you can still see the FJ Badge - 2
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
          Feb10 - Gebj Officer wearing a FJ Badge - 1

Maybe one of the Men from the 5th Gebirgsdivsion, who was educated in parachuting for Crete???
          I know a KC-Holder who was educated in parachutin for Crete. He wasn´t officially awarded with the Paratrooperbadge, but he got one from his Parateacher...

GTA

Comment

Wedding with iron cross. N1

Comment

Ischak Yes #1

The first ceremony was the one required by the Government and usually conducted by the Mayor or administrative official. The second part was the Church ceremony as shown. Officer is wearing his Gebirgsjaeger patch...unfortunately whoever took these wedding photos was not very good with a camera.

Originally posted by Ischak View Post
              Wedding with iron cross. N1

GTA,

It makes sense that some Gebirgsjaegers were put through the jump school for the Kreta operation. I also know that some Gebirgsjaeger were put through the jump School for the Invasion of Norway in 1940 as well. The lack of an Armshield or cufftitle could mean he did not participate in either one. There are probably various reasons and possibilities as to why he went through Jump training.

[Maybe one of the Men from the 5th Gebirgsdivsion, who was educated in parachuting for Crete???
              I know a KC-Holder who was educated in parachutin for Crete. He wasn´t officially awarded with the Paratrooperbadge, but he got one from his Parateacher...]
              Attached Files

Comment

Feb10 - Group 2 #11
                ...great pics, you can see the apprehension on these young faces, I wonder how many of these guys made it out?! Thanks for sharing these theyre great,

Dan.

Comment

i came across this great thread...im not up on Fj but i would know a picture of one if hes dressed in combat attire.....besides certain awards being worn, how can one tell the diff between a Fj and a LW soldier when wearing regular tunics...excuse my igornance on the subject...many thanks k

Comment

Karlo,

Good Question first of all they were all part of the Luftwaffe. A Pilot/crewman, Driver, Aircraft Mechanic or Fallschirmjaeger of the flight branch all wore the yellow collar tab therefore you couldn't tell the difference if they were not wearing their decorations and badges that would distinguish them within the flight branch and from other branches of the Luftwaffe. Pioneer, Sanitaters, Flak, LWFD, signal etc. all wore different color collar tabs.

Bill

Originally posted by karlo View Post
                    i came across this great thread...im not up on Fj but i would know a picture of one if hes dressed in combat attire.....besides certain awards being worn, how can one tell the diff between a Fj and a LW soldier when wearing regular tunics...excuse my igornance on the subject...many thanks k

Comment

Ta Bill...so how does one tell em apart?..when not wearing awards etc...some of ur pics say "Fj having a ****" for example...tho no awards..decorations etc...is it written on back of pic or...
                      many thanks k

Comment

Karlo,

Some are written on the reverse and some come as a FJ grouping. Obviously there would be many photos of them prior to completion of the jump course and another reason is FJ did not wear their FJ Badges all the time unless sewn to their uniform. One good example is while in Greece prior to Operation Merkur Jump into Kreta they did not wear their FJ Badges and most likely due to security. I have quite a few photos showing the lack of FJ Badges. When on leave or attending other events they proudly wore their Jump Badges. Now saying all that it is not unusual especially on ebay for sellers to label a photo of a LW soldier as Fallschirmjaeger with no proof but as a selling tool....so it is a minefield out there. If you are collecting FJ...I just recommend concentrating on those pics that show badges unless you obtain groupings or photos showing the FJ with and without badges. Many of my older groupings and portraits come from either the families or known sources through my longtime collector friends. Cheers!

Bill

Comment

Feb10 - LW Wedding portrait with FJ wearing tropical cap
                          Attached Files

Comment

Feb10 - Feld Lazarett with amputees, Krankenschwester and a FJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

Feb10 - LW Wedding portrait with FJ wearing tropical cap
                              Notice that the backing on all three sets of collar tabs are different!!
                              from L - R, blue, yellow and red?

Comment

Karlo,

Some are written on the reverse and some come as a FJ grouping. Obviously there would be many photos of them prior to completion of the jump course and another reason is FJ did not wear their FJ Badges all the time unless sewn to their uniform. One good example is while in Greece prior to Operation Merkur Jump into Kreta they did not wear their FJ Badges and most likely due to security. I have quite a few photos showing the lack of FJ Badges. When on leave or attending other events they proudly wore their Jump Badges. Now saying all that it is not unusual especially on ebay for sellers to label a photo of a LW soldier as Fallschirmjaeger with no proof but as a selling tool....so it is a minefield out there. If you are collecting FJ...I just recommend concentrating on those pics that show badges unless you obtain groupings or photos showing the FJ with and without badges. Many of my older groupings and portraits come from either the families or known sources through my longtime collector friends. Cheers!

Bill
                                many thanks Bill.....love your work here...K

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X