This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Bill, as always, great photos, thanks for sharing them!!!

John, very interesting information about the different types of films used! Could you, when time permits, post a side by side comparison to see what the differences would be? Are there other indications of this type of film used except the showing of dark collar tabs and lighter blue tone?
    In this patricular photo we are discussing would not the eagle's color (fj badge) be recorded in much the same way as the tabs if they were indeed yellow?

Comment

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/edscott/pss00030.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
        Ask and you shall receive...

Domo arigato Akira San!!

Comment

"Domo arigato Akira San!!" I'd like to echo Yannis, thanks for an excellent example Akira!

I'd also like to say that many of you have clear proof of how these old B&W films record colors in your Fj reference libraries. I did not mention these examples, hoping that someone else had noted them and would bring them up. SIGH! I have noted this on the Forum before, anyone remember what I am refering to?
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yannis, John, you're welcome, but please note that by 1939 panchromatic films had become common, including 35mm Agfa ISOPAN S (most commonly used) whose name speaks of it being panchromatic.

I have no details for various films, so more investigation is appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
              please note that by 1939 panchromatic films had become common, including 35mm Agfa ISOPAN S (most commonly used) whose name speaks of it being panchromatic.
              True Akira, panchromatic was common but not in any way exclusive. These other films include ortho films. My father shot some ortho film during the war, when he could not obtain pan film. Film was often in short supply, you shot what you could find.
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Akira, John and Yannis.

OK I get the picture now! Thank you for explaining and providing further information I was not aware of on the difference of the types of B & W films. There is a burning question in my mind on what type of B & W film was most commonly used by the Germans. As Akira stated more investigation is required and if I had the negatives that might have provided the answer. Bill

Comment

Yannis,

Thanks for your comments. Here are a few more pics to share. - Bill
                  FJ Italy 44
                  Attached Files

Comment

FJ Italy 44
                    Attached Files

Comment

FJ Marriage #1 - Notice the Afrika Campaigner and you can also see the difference in collar tabs...Yellow/Red/Blue?
                      Last edited by W Petz; 12-28-2005, 08:28 PM.

Comment

FJ Marriage #2

Comment

FJ Marriage #3

Comment

FJ Marriage 4

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
                              Akira, John and Yannis.
                              There is a burning question in my mind on what type of B & W film was most commonly used by the Germans. As Akira stated more investigation is required and if I had the negatives that might have provided the answer. Bill
                              Hi Bill,

More great photos!

As for the film most commonly used, it was panchromatic, as Akira stated. If mean you what specific type within pan films, I doubt there is any way to determine the single most used.

Photographers use all kinds of films (speeds and types) depending on the job. Edward Steichen was a great US photographer. He was also a Lt. Comdr. in charge of Navy Aviation photographers during WW II. Steichen and his men shot all kinds of film for the Navy, even B&W infrared and Kodachrome (color).

Regards,
                              John
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John,

Thanks. I guess what I was driving at is that the Germans had much more panchromatic film. You keep mentioning the US side of photography which I can understand why there were much more different types of film. My Father captured a German Camera and used that throughout the war and requisitioned most of his film from the German side. I've heard other simular stories from other WW2 Vets who also captured cameras. My Dad apparently had alot of problems focusing the camera until he got it down right.
                                I do have hundreds of slides and negatives from a US Army War Photographer by the name of Nelson E. Irving. He landed on D-Day and went all the way to the Elbe river meeting with the Russians. His film is very sharp. I had some developed and they came out great.

Here are some recent FJ pickups out of the collection of Oberstabarzt Dr. Gunter Mueller, 2/Fallsch.San.Abt

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                                Hi Bill,

More great photos!

As for the film most commonly used, it was panchromatic, as Akira stated. If mean you what specific type within pan films, I doubt there is any way to determine the single most used.

Photographers use all kinds of films (speeds and types) depending on the job. Edward Steichen was a great US photographer. He was also a Lt. Comdr. in charge of Navy Aviation photographers during WW II. Steichen and his men shot all kinds of film for the Navy, even B&W infrared and Kodachrome (color).

Regards,
                                John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X