No announcement yet.

FJ photos help and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the exact place of this grave and the others also. They are all in heraklion area. I also have the names of this graves. They were 6 in total i think. Windhund i will send you an email later.
    All the best
    kretakampfer
    Originally posted by windhund View Post
    last one

Comment

windhund, I can't be 100% sure but part of my collection has the father of Franz sending letters to try and find his son and the fathers completion of a tax form reporting him missing since 20 May 1941. It would be good if I could track down his unit to give me an understanding of where he fell. I can't access archives. regards graeme
      Attached Files

Comment

Kretakampfer, it would be appreciated if you could provide me with some information about Franz Wurz. I thought maybe his body was never found and he was a MIA as his father seemed to have no confirmation of his death and appears to have been trying to tracking him down August 1941 and into 1942 with tax form previously attached. A photo of his grave and location would be appreciated to track down what unit he was in. regards graeme

Comment

Hi Graeme

It´s very interesting the document you are showing us. There is a list with the names of the soldiers missed in Kreta and Würz isn´t in it but this list could not be complete.

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/misc_l...talltafeln.htm

And I think you have the document of EK2 of Würz signed by Bräuer. I thought that these docs were not given to killed fjs but I could be wrong.
          Maybe another member of WAF had more info about this.

Could be Würz awarded with EK2 and after that was missed?.

I think you have a very difficult investigation. Good luck.

Regards

Comment

windhund, yes I have EK2 award which was issued 29 May 1941. I understood and I think I read it in one of my Kreta books that EK2's were issued to everyone who jumped regardless of if they survived or not. regards graeme

Comment

I thought like you but now I'm not sure:

- I've seen 40 ek2 documents for Kreta actions and none of the fj awarded was killed there
              - Another member of waf give me the lists of the 2./Fallsch San Abteilung 7 in Kreta (ek1, ek2, wounded and killed) and none of the fj killed was awarded. ( Only one was awarded with ek2 but he died in Athens some days after the battle)

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by windhund View Post
                Last one

There seems to be an Oblt grave there. The name can not be read but I have some evidences that it could be Oblt Kurt Freiher von Stetten.
                I HAVE AN ACCOUNT OF A GREEK SOLDIER TALKING ABOUT THE CORPSES OF LUFTWAFFE AIRMEN THAT WASHED ASHORE AT THE PLACE WHERE THOSE GRAVES WERE, SO IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE THESE AIRMEN TO BE VON STETTEN AND HIS MEN WHICH WERE NOT POSSIBLE TO BE IDENTIFIED ALL OF THEM AND THAT IS WHY THERE ARE UNKNOWN SOLDIERS BURIED AMONG THESE FJGs IN MALEME. THIS IS MY EXPLANATION ACCORDING TO MY RESEARCH.
                HERE IS THE ACCOUNT BY PRIVATE CHRISTOS ROUSSOPOULOS

One day while the aircraft were leaving two of them were hit and I saw them crashing in the sea. The next day pieces from the planes along with four corpses from the crew were washed ashore on the sandy beach. The next day, the guys from our Company who went to Heraklion for supplies, they saw the whole procedure and ceremony of their burial from the Greek authorities. Even a honor guard presented arms and shot a farewell firing. According to the international law a proper burial should be given for each soldier, even for the enemies when they fall during their duty. Greece totally conforms with those rules…

ALL THE BEST
                YANNIS

Comment

windhund, if Franz Würz survived Kreta and was wounded but later died, it is strange that the father (Johann) was not told and the EK2 is provided to the family. The tax form has Franz missing as recorded by the father and another letter (august 1941) from FJ to Johann which indicates Johann is still searching for his son. It makes it a bit more difficult. regards graeme
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gwatty View Post
                    Kretakampfer, it would be appreciated if you could provide me with some information about Franz Wurz. I thought maybe his body was never found and he was a MIA as his father seemed to have no confirmation of his death and appears to have been trying to tracking him down August 1941 and into 1942 with tax form previously attached. A photo of his grave and location would be appreciated to track down what unit he was in. regards graeme
                    Hi graeme
                    I have looked in my archives but it was not possible to find any information about Franz Wurz. He is not into the lists of KIA-MIA
                    Best regards
                    Kretakampfer

Comment

Hi

Goslar, 12.07.1941. II./Luflande Sturmregiment parade

Major Edgar Stentzler ... but who is the other Offizier?

Comment

Hi

I´ve found more pictures of Fallsch. Pi Btl.

Is a lucky coincidence to find that a different seller has another picture of a paratrooper whose face appears on a photo you already have

Comment

Members of Leutnant Häffner ´s Zug of 3./Fallsch. PiBtl at Dessau-Kochstedt

Comment

2./Fallsch. Pi Btl in Dessau after Kreta battle. The Oberleutnant should be Cord Tietjen

Comment

More

Comment

More

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X