This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unknown armbands translation help needed

can anyone id these ? look civilian to me.
    Attached Files

Comment

The one with two red stripes merely reads "Headquarters Section Leader" [Honbu Bucho]. Honbu = headquarters; bucho=section leader -- as in a department lead.

The one on the right ... I can only identify the bottom kanji on the far-right as being "kei" [means "order"] and is the first part of "keishi" or "Keisatsu" [police]. I don't have my resources here to further translate, but I'm guessing it has to do with the police.

--Guy

Comment

The one without stripes:

團護防町能飼

I'm not sure of the sound/word application, but might sound like:
        r>l: Shi nou cho bo go tan
        Domestic Ability Village Defense-Protection Association

And I'm guessing at because I can see only a partial kanji.

I still can't make out the bottom three kanji, except the last (far left) is "Kei" - police.

--Guy

Comment

1, Alert
          2. Report
          3. Group
          Attached Files

Comment

Chen,

Is this a Chinese armband? I can't find kanji# 3 in the on-line dictionary (don't have my book at hand).

The closest I could find is
            警報瑜
            and I know the first character is incorrect:

~~~~
            Kei
            Hou

Comment

Okay ... it helps to have the kanji in sequential order! 警報 means Alarm/Warning .... I still can't find that third kanji in the on-line dictionary!

Comment

1. has several meaning if read alone: alarm, alert
                2. has one meaning if read alone: report, tell
                3. has one meaning if read alone: group, class.etc ( see attached of my English to Chinese dictionary)

Due to the grammar/ arrangement of these kangi, it does not seems to be Chinese armband. No idea is it Japanese but I also doubt.
                Attached Files

Comment

Chen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to scan your dictionary for my benefit and education.

That kanji is probably in my dictionary as an "archaic-use" or "obsolete" kanji. Japanese readers who are in my age-group will probably recognize it .... but it's not on the on-line Japanese dictionary that I can access right now. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
                  --Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                    Chen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to scan your dictionary for my benefit and education.

That kanji is probably in my dictionary as an "archaic-use" or "obsolete" kanji. Japanese readers who are in my age-group will probably recognize it .... but it's not on the on-line Japanese dictionary that I can access right now. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
                    --Guy
                    The regular reading is han (班), and the kanji is used all the time in schools and companies, etc. As noted above, it means 'group.'

Cheers,
                    Rich

Comment

Rich,

Thanks; now I know it is toyo-kanji! The only "resource" I currently have available is Jim Breen's on-line dictionary -- which does not have that particular radical. For my own edification, what is the name of that radical -- the "water radical with a vertical line"?

Many thanks!
                      --Guy

Comment

Group Leader is Hanchou (班長)、which the Americans pronounced Honcho, which gave rise to the phrase "Head Honcho". So you knew already the word, only not the Kanji. The Kanji you've been guessing at is 飯能 、Hannou City just outside Tokyo.

Comment

Nick,

Many thanks for your willingness to continue MY education!

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                            Rich,

Thanks; now I know it is toyo-kanji! The only "resource" I currently have available is Jim Breen's on-line dictionary -- which does not have that particular radical. For my own edification, what is the name of that radical -- the "water radical with a vertical line"?

Many thanks!
                            --Guy
                            The radical is ouhen (or tamahen): 王.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                              The radical is ouhen (or tamahen): 王.
                              Thanks! I had NO idea that was a tamahen; thought it was a modified suihen since I assoicate it as part of the "Ryukyu" kanji 琉球. Bad rationale on my part! I did check the tamahen ... but only because the third part was "tama".... I did a check for "tama and ri", but came up empty.

I'm definitely no kanji "班長" hancho, that's for sure..... definitely I'm the kohai here. You and Nick are my 先輩 senpai

Many thanks from your 後輩
                              --Guy

Comment

Thank you all

So it looks like home defense organizations

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X