X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations

Hello guys,

I was thinking that a thread which compiles common Kanji slogans, prayers, etc; could be compiled, and added to by us, in order to help each other and other collectors with translations.

I will be contributing what I can over the coming week, and really encourage you guys to pitch in for everyone's benefit.

Thanks.

Well, I'll start it off with the most common slogan 武運長久 Buun (Fortunes of war) Choukyuu (Forever/perpetually) usually translated as "Eternal Good Fortune in Battle" or something similar. Sometimes 祈 is added to make it Ki Buun Choukyuu "Prayers for Eternal Good Fortune in Battle"

祈武運長久 top to bottom on the right side.

武運長久 right to left on the top. Remember old Japanese writing will go top to bottom or right to left.

Comment

I've had the same idea for a long time, and as I no longer as a rule step in to translate, I will make a one-time effort to get you set up for some self-help translations.
      This ought to cover most of your needs. I am writing the Japanese solgans from left to right in the modern manner, but when written on wartime flags, the Kanji were written right to left, so they will appear reversed from this listing or vertically from top down. As can be seen, 4 character slogans that follow the Chinese style idomatic phrases were the most popular, because of the pleasant rythm they had. Also, all these solgans when read out loud were pronounced in "On Yomi(approximation of Chinese style reading)" not "Kun Yomi (Japanese Style reading)". I have used old wartime kanji where applicable.
      Just noticed a typo in the English for the 10th slogan "one" should read "on".
      Also it should be interesting to note that the 14th Slogan referring to Americans and British as animals had a double meaning, which was actually quite unpatriotic and cynical. Some circles used it as a code to critisize the crippling animosity between the Navy and Army, where the kanji for US stood for Yonai of the Navy and that for Britain was part of Tojo's name. In that interpretation the slogan says "The bastards, Yonai and Tojo"
      Attached Files

Comment

Nick, I was hoping you would step up, and you have, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by PAB_Collector View Post
          Nick, I was hoping you would step up, and you have, thank you very much.
          Yes, I couldn't pass up the chance to do the one translation to end all translations. It was boring as hell to be asked to translate the same thing over and over, so I did myself a great favor, too. Hope you find your answers in my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
            Yes, I couldn't pass up the chance to do the one translation to end all translations. It was boring as hell to be asked to translate the same thing over and over, so I did myself a great favor, too. Hope you find your answers in my list.
            I can understand your position, and thank you again.

The chart you have posted is an invaluable asset to those that are searching for keys to unlock their artifacts (especially us "newbies" getting into the artistic and spiritual beauty of Japanese militaria).

Comment

This is a great idea and will be so helpful , i hope this thread grows and grows and many thanks for your input gentlemen !

regards Al

Comment

Moderator, can we get this pinned?

Comment

Thanks Nick that chart is very helpful.

Comment

Awesome Thanks!!!!

Comment

I guess our moderator doesn't actually visit this board very often, or this thread would be stickied.

So, bump to this useful thread with a hopefully useful tip.

This kanji 君 is "kun" which is used when addressing young males (it can also be "kimi" an informal form of "you", but that's not the context you will normally see on WW2 flags, Japanese normally address someone by their name rather than as "you".). Look for this kanji, and there will probably be 4 other kanji before it (above it or to the right, most old Japanese writing goes top to bottom or right to left). That will be the name of the person the flag was given to.
                      Here are some samples, the first written clearly, the second written faster.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
                        I guess our moderator doesn't actually visit this board very often, or this thread would be stickied.

So, bump to this useful thread with a hopefully useful tip.

This kanji 君 is "kun" which is used when addressing young males (it can also be "kimi" an informal form of "you", but that's not the context you will normally see on WW2 flags, Japanese normally address someone by their name rather than as "you".). Look for this kanji, and there will probably be 4 other kanji before it (above it or to the right, most old Japanese writing goes top to bottom or right to left). That will be the name of the person the flag was given to.
                        Here are some samples, the first written clearly, the second written faster.

Very helpful, thanks!

Comment

I've got a original Japanese - English translation book from the war with the Kanji translations in it!
                          If you guys are interested in this sort of things, then I'm going to search the book in some of my boxes.
                          Always looking for photos and documents from Rotterdam - Dordrecht - Moerdijk (1940-1945)

Comment

nice reference, bravo!

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                            ...This ought to cover most of your needs.
                            ...when written on wartime flags, the Kanji
                            ...will appear reversed from this listing ...
                            NK:
                            Very nice reference, bravo!

OFW
                            Originally posted by Papa Nambu View Post
                            ...Look for this kanji, ...That will be the name
                            of the person the flag was given to. Here are
                            some samples, the first written clearly, the
                            second written faster.
                            PN:
                            Likewise, very informative, thanks!

OFW

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM.
                            sigpic
                            .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroen wo2 View Post
                              I've got a original Japanese - English translation book from the war with the Kanji translations in it!
                              If you guys are interested in this sort of things, then I'm going to search the book in some of my boxes.
                              Ummmmm, yes please!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X