No announcement yet.

Der Wehrwolf 1923-1933!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just gotta tell you I think this stuff is really fascinating and interesting. I didn't even know of any of it until I saw some of Mr. Lumsden's posts and some of the items in his collection.

But I have to ask how any of this stuff turns up? I imagine most of it comes straight out of Germany, but how does the culture feel about this stuff? How are the Wehrwolf viewed and is there a big demand for the items? Interesting interesting stuff. I'd love to hear about collecting these items.

Also, is there a book available at all on the subject? Has anyone here considered contributing to one? I think it'd be an interesting read.

Thanks!

Zack

Comment

Originally posted by panzerzacker View Post
      I just gotta tell you I think this stuff is really fascinating and interesting. I didn't even know of any of it until I saw some of Mr. Lumsden's posts and some of the items in his collection.

But I have to ask how any of this stuff turns up? I imagine most of it comes straight out of Germany, but how does the culture feel about this stuff? How are the Wehrwolf viewed and is there a big demand for the items? Interesting interesting stuff. I'd love to hear about collecting these items.

Also, is there a book available at all on the subject? Has anyone here considered contributing to one? I think it'd be an interesting read.

Thanks!

Zack
      your bring up some really good points.. i'd like to know as well

Comment

Thanks!

Zack
        The Wehrwolf was a forgotten part of history for a long time. Since some books appeared about the Wehrwolf, there is more interest in that theme. The Wehrwolf had never had so many members like Der Stahlhelm for example. They decided to be an organization for the elite. Independence was always very important for the Wehrwolf, but they worked together with other national organizations like Stahlhelmbund, Scharnhorst etc. Sometimes in some regions side by side with the NSDAP!

You are right, the most interesting pieces you can still get in Germany today. But I have already seen nice pieces, which were sold by dealers in other countries. In most cases with a wrong description sold as Freikorps stuff. Collectors in Germany like collecting Wehrwolf pieces and I think international collectors like it, too. There is a minimum of one other collector in this race, I think.

He lives in Scotland.

Comment

Wehrwolf books!

It exist a reprint of the "Black book" with the title “Wehrwolf / Kamerad, weißt du noch?”. A book about the history of the Wehrwolf.
          Attached Files

Comment

And there is also another book for interested collectors.
            Attached Files

Comment

Both books are in German. Other publications from the times pre 1933 are very rare and expensive. So if you are interested in the Wehrwolf and you are able to read German, the book of Mr. Berg is the best book at the moment.

Comment

Sergeant08, thank you very much! I had an idea that there would be books published in German but I wasn't sure. I'll definitely have to check the more affordable one out. My German is far from comprehensive but there's no better way to learn. Thank you also for posting all the pictures of your collection. This stuff is really really cool. I'd love to see more as you find it.

Zack

Comment

...... I'd love to see more as you find it.

Zack
                  I will do my best!
                  Attached Files

Comment

i would love to have one of these
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post
                      Yes, a very nice commemorative cup of some sort, if genuine. Unfortunately, this skull turns up on all kinds of items of a dubious nature that American TR dealers, in particular always try to palm off as rare Freikorps exotica. Those fake brass buckles with this skull spring to mind; total fantasy.

In any case, this skull is more likely a tradition badge related to Braunschweig regiments such as IR92 or perhaps one the Freikorps units such as Jaegerkorps Erlangen/Freikorps Engelhardt.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post
                        Here is mine! Prost!

PS: Such silver items were normally given as presents to officers of the Imperial Infanterie Regiment 92 or Husaren Regiment 17.
                        Attached Files

Comment

As already mentioned, the tradition badge of the Braunschweiger skull was used by different Freikorps on caps and collar tabs after ww1.

The Wehrwolf used Danziger and Braunschweiger skulls on headgear, too.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sergeant 08; 04-08-2012, 04:22 AM.

Comment

thanks bolewts58 & Stefan
                            Prost

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant 08 View Post
                              As already mentioned, the tradition badge of the Braunschweiger skull was used by different Freikorps on caps and collar tabs after ww1.

The Wehrwolf used Danziger and Braunschweiger skulls on headgear, too.
                              Since both types of skulls were widely available from military effects suppliers, they were a cheap badge to obtain and were adopted both as official and unofficial insiginia by many Freikorps.

Lack of any sort of regulations allowed for the 'free-booters' to add to their unit insignia by tarting themselves up with skulls on hats, collars and sleeves, as it was an exceedingly popular emblem and symbolic of the Freikorps as a whole.

So it's not unheard of to see pictures of units such as Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt, Freikorps Rossbach or any of the units in the Eiserne Div. using both types, especially on hats.

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
                                Since both types of skulls were widely available from military effects suppliers, they were a cheap badge to obtain and were adopted both as official and unofficial insiginia by many Freikorps.

Lack of any sort of regulations allowed for the 'free-booters' to add to their unit insignia by tarting themselves up with skulls on hats, collars and sleeves, as it was an exceedingly popular emblem and symbolic of the Freikorps as a whole.

So it's not unheard of to see pictures of units such as Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt, Freikorps Rossbach or any of the units in the Eiserne Div. using both types, especially on hats.
                                This thread shows the most possibilities

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=520317

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X